Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. oh no math...I have that unknown variable always in this backwards locale. thc content? pshaw!.
    I am in need of the same guidance, mostly because of this differently potent tincture .

• Like Like x 2
  2. Is material at the bottom normal ? Or do I need to strain it better. I used coffee filter

Used oz of flower and 190 reduced to 10 oz

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh, yes, that will happen with the coffee filters sometimes. You can filter it again if you need to but if you do, wet your fresh filter with fresh alcohol first so that it won't soak up more of your tincture.

That should be a pretty good strength. And remember that you can always make it stronger just by reducing a bit more alcohol until you hit your "sweet spot". :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Thank you for the response. You are a big help. I’m making this for some people that have cancer and Lyme.

What’s left over on the glass sides after you reduce it? Thc? There’s some sore of residue on the side

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. It's a light layer of cannabis oil that has evaporated off the glass as the level falls. It starts out light but as the GD concentrates it can get a little heavier. I try to keep the sides washed down by occasionally swishing it over the build up. It's one of those little losses like filter absorption that are built in. If there's still a little silt left in the GD then it might look a little coarse. :mellow:

• Like Like x 3
  6. It works well. Just flushing out the measuring cup with water and drinkin g the water got me high

• Like Like x 2
  7. If your an easy hit like that take care and wear gloves when working with the tincture or anything with it's residue on it. Your skin is permeable and the Tincture will transdermal stone you.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  8. Well I must say I do dabble in tinctures and some cremes but Man you guys are on a whole another level.
    Kudos to the Golden Dragon Master and his followers.
    I have been reding a lot here Thanks

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. I make all my own edibles. The 190 tincture is way better then the 151

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BNW, who wouldn't want a surprise transdermal stone, lol.?
    I've read about your adventures living on the edge where a big meal or something brings on a massive stone for you. I'd just be sure I didn't have anything important to do and then get transdermally lifted.

I have been making more PEZ and Smarties. My friends love them and people keep gifting me PEZ candies to inoculate, lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. LOL the first batch of Tincture I made was wrung out bare handed. I wasn't finished squeezing the last of the tincture out before I was headed to the moon. Really got more then I bargained for with that one. :)

BNW

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. I guess we all have a no glove story, mine was a batch of balm that I was heavy on the THC and squeezed every drop while it was still very Hot with my bare hands. within 20 mans I had to sit down and mellow for the day.
    It was a nice ride and not speedy or scary. I did it again a few times because I was too lazy to glove up.
    Good Morning everyone

• Like Like x 3
  13. Anyone else getting double postings

14. Nova Decarb Update

I have finally gotten the lab results for the concentrate phase of our decarb review of the Nova ready for posting. I've had them a few days but this was the best that I could do considering my current state of being. I may be slow but I am steady.

I can say without a doubt that the Nova delivers on its claims for both flower and concentrates. Frankly, I don't know how either could have been better. It's been the equivalent to my oven decarbs but that could be because I've been doing it so long and have it locked in.

I like the physical interaction of the process but few people are like me these days and would prefer something automatic and simple. This would be a worthwhile tool for those of you wishing to simplify the decarb process reliably and eliminate the fragrance and mess of grinding.

Nova concentrate decarb in alc.jpg

We sent two samples of concentrate although I'm not sure what type, shatter, wax, live resin. Budford will have to give us the details but each was from a different company and different dispensaries. One was mixed with 190 proof alcohol and the other with oil for the testing. The reason for that is because the lab wants a gram to test the concentrate but only 1 ml for the liquids. We're really only looking at the decarb efficiency and this works fine.

We see on this sample a decarb similar to the ones I get where there is a slight bit of THCA left but at a negligible amount, less than 1mg. That's a good thing. It means that it didn't overdecarb and start degrading the THC. In fact, there is no CBN at all in the sample indicating that it was very fresh at the time it was extracted and the Nova didn't add any in the process as an oven might. There's also nice values of CBC and CBG but no CBD.

Another thing we can see from this test is the potency of the original concentrate as another quality check. We have a total of 26.3mg/ml in 30ml = 789mg total, 78.9% and that's right at the stated percentage on the item.

Nova concentrate in oil.jpg
    This second sample is from a different dispensary and maker so that we have a broader base to work with. We see that the decarb here is downright perfect with no THCA left at all nor any degradation to CBN. The one thing that stands out is the CBC content. I don't believe I've ever seen any that high before. Not much on the other cannabinoids but through the roof on CBC. This is a strain that would have some applications for some specific cancers and other things.

Unfortunately, we can't use the total to get the concentrate percentage because Budford used just slightly less than 30ml but enough to throw off that calculation. At 35.5mg.ml x 30ml = 1065mg, we get an impossible number since there's only 1000mg in a gram. We got the important confirmation of the decarb and that's what this was all about.

Let me state that I know nothing about the infusion function of the Nova and am not going to be commenting on that. However, if there is a way to infuse concentrate easily then that may prove handy. Otherwise I'll let others decide on their extraction methods. It's probably worth the money, though, if you do a lot of decarbing. yeux3.gif

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Interesting.... I'm curious as to what their heating profile/algorithm/control cycle is really doing....

My guess would be that they are monitoring the power input vs the temp for the heat up cycle and then starting the timer once its reached the preset target temp. It would be cool to know what that temp/time was --- they say a cycle takes from 1.5-2 hours..... so just guessing and assuming, it takes ~15-20 minutes to heat up (with a minimal load) and cool down, that would say they are right around the 240f/40min for the active cycle.--- just the way you would want it to be controlled in a 'scientific' apparatus. It may be slightly lower and longer if they can heat it faster and depending when they say it cool enuff to end the cycle --- say 230f/60min, but its hard to say - maybe 90 watts can heat the unit up quickly. The fact that it has a variable time cycle says that they are actively accounting for the 'thermal mass' of the material -- not monitoring any chemical concentration (CO2) or anything. Their claim to retain terps makes me wonder if its because of the (mostly) sealed vessel or the lower temp compared to other decarb cycles. I wonder how having 'damp' material (like I've run into) would affect the cycle times.....

The theory seems pretty sound tho and the results look pretty impressive. This is one of the reasons I always chose to place a heavy marble tile in the oven and bring it up to 240 and use a light weight aluminum pan to contain the herb, placing said pan on the preheated tile --- minimizes the time needed to bring everything up to temp quickly. In the end, achieving 90+% decarb is just fine for most of us and will keep us happy..... and PSams work has taken us all there long ago.

Edit to add --- it would be truly interesting to see what it would do with a massive load of concentrate - 1-2 oz at once..... I wonder if it would be as effective. Where is RaJay when you need him?

• Like Like x 4

16. Long time no see, OneE. I hope you've been well.

Budford has the gizmo and he's actually been trying to determine the phases and temps. He's been able to get some detail but not enough to put together yet. It's a pretty tightly put together unit. I wonder if a small timed probe thermometer would change the way the sensors might read the contents which might change the results.

Now that I've seen the results I'm curious how it does it, too. I'd like to get my hands on the specs and take one apart although I probably couldn't put it back together again, the Humpty Dumpty effect. My one concern is that it's all electronic and sensors are going to wear out. How will you know? It's false confidence and could end in less efficient processing. Don't drop it or knock it around. But since I'm an analog guy in this digital world, I'm sticking with my oven.

I'm not sure it would hold an ounce or two of concentrate but a half ounce might be good although I would probably like to start in smaller increments first. I'd be interested how it worked with 3-4g instead of 1 and then go up to 7 and then as far as it would go. Budford has done a gram and an ounce of flowers with equal results but I don't know if that would carry over to the concentrates. I'm also interested in knowing if it's extraction process would infuse concentrates into oil. Lots of questions. Inquiring minds want to know. :ey:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Always lurking here PSam..... just don't bother posting up until something catches my attention.

I'm just guessing here.... but I would think that the unit consists of a wraparound heater around the metal cup, -probably just the sides or a portion or the sides, and at least two temp probes - one under the heater and one at the bottom of the cup. I would presume that the heater circuit is a really tight control loop, dumping as much power (of the 90 watts) to the heater to heat without ever passing the set point (PID controlled) - pretty standard for industrial heater controls. The cycle time would not start until the temp probe on the bottom of the cup reached the target temp (or a calculated offset temp) --- that would account for the amount/type/consistency of the material in the cup, leading to the variable cycle time for the batch. Its the time AT temp that is important.... not the total cycle time --- this is organic chemistry, not baking here.--- taking out the initial heating time is the big variable here.

As far as the temp they are using, it would be useful to know at what temp the unit says the cycle is 'done' --- the cooldown time is an unknown variable here. Going thru a bit of theory, that I won't bore you with, I'm gonna guess that they are probably running the cycle at 230f for 60 minutes (or possibly 220/80) based on the minimal info and using your 240/40 cycle as the gold standard and their claim of preserving terps.

Keep in mind too.... the lack of CBN is probably due to the fact that the material is pretty fresh --- the decarb process is not a cumulative process -- two 20 minute cycles do not equal one 40 minute cycle. If there is no converted compounds to start with, there won't be any degradation --- if there is some % THCa already converted to THC then you would expect to see some degradation products (CBN).

• Like Like x 2
  18. Been lurking in this thread for a while. Started from the beginning and I'm almost through the first 1,000 posts.

Sam, I plan on trying your GD recipe in about two weeks or so, barring 4th of July week being too crazy. I currently decarb and then infuse straight into coconut oil, but I'm constantly working on my gummy recipe and I wanted to try a batch with tincture, or maybe GD-infused oil, to see how it would affect the consistency. I haven't even made it past this thread's infancy, so I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but do you have any experience with using your GD in gummies?

I normally do not join forums, but after seeing your dedication and commitment to this thread, I felt obligated to at least join and give a personalized thank you for the information you have shared and for the time you have personally invested.

Also, thank you to the others who've taken time to share their feedback, ideas, experiences, and results.

-NKOTB

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. As I said, I would love to take one apart. I would think that flower decarb would be different than for concentrates as far as times and maybe temps or phases and I don't believe there's a "flower/concentrate" switch on it but I could be wrong. I believe there's an app for it that allows for more control, though.

The material we've used has been pretty fresh at the time since the flower had come right from the dispensary and the concentrates are processed soon after harvest so CBN wouldn't have been likely. Not wouldn't necessarily be the case for older or black market material. However, an oven decarb seems to produce at least a little in fresher material due to the heat. and, as you said, it increases more if there's already some there. This has gotten me curious now. I'm going to go through all my lab results to see if I have ever gotten no CBN and if so, the prevailing conditions if I can remember them. I've got a few hundred to go through. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  20. #21620 OneE, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    I was gonna suggest that you go back and review..... but I didn't wan to send you down that rabbit hole --- good for you to become intrigued! (Sorry about that)
    I think that is what led to some confusion and misguided conclusions earlier on in the decarb testing --- too many material starting variables and too many desired outcomes. I would bet that most of the tests that showed CBN formation were either older or had a % already converted.... except maybe some of the higer temp/longer time ones..... or strains with a weird mix of cannabinoids to start with --- thats a whole nother variable. I seem to recall some of the early testing was with some older weed and gifted unkown before you had access to the dispensaries.

An intriguing thought that could be somewhat easily persued.....
    Starting with a concentrate that is pretty pure THCa with low values of everything else..... sort of like the concentrate you and Buford just ran..... run a second decarb run on the same material and see what CBN values come up...... Maybe you've already seen this if you are running two cycles on CBD material --- maybe not if the THC % is too low.... A double run on some 1:1 pre tested concentrate with samples after each run could be very telling and enlightening using the NOVA

Edit to add ---- if you didn't want to waste any concentrate being 'too' degraded to CBN..... you could do a split batch --- take g and decarb it once, take a 1/4 g of that and add it to a fresh 3/4 g of the same material and decarb that and compare the results...... that way you wouldn't be trashing a g of concentrate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1