Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Hello fans of the OG thread, haha.

I wanted to ask for a little mini project if the times were any different for a jarred decarb in a toaster oven?

Making a green dragon to coconut oil solvent transfer with 7 grams of Afgani so I can maybe sleep well sometime in the future.

I remember reading about how some were having issues with the residual moisture maybe? My material was fairly dry and well cured but didn't seem as browned as it should have been after the 240f for 40 minutes.

I let it cool and unsealed the jar before resealing and putting it into the freezer for the next step. I didn't touch it yet to even see if it was still moist.

I left the jar a half turn from completely sealed during the decarb. Wasn't worried about the smell just wanted to test it out in a jar finally.

Hope everyone is well!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  2. It shouldn't pose any problem, Mook. It sounds good. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Noice, and thank you PSam the man!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Hi Sam & mixed company :) Here is(are) a topical salve recipe question(s).

I have at least 33 grams of little buds to dedicate to making some salve this weekend. Could add another 2 lbs if needed but I want to save that better stuff for tincture.

1st - SO - with 33 grams uncrushed and not decarbed(?) - what should the ratio of oz. of coconut oil be to measure of marijuana????

I was thinking to start with 8oz (by weight?) of coconut oil. Is my 33 grams of grass enough?

Surprising how many recipes (likely all copied from the same source over the years and slightly modified) start out by saying that you need 1-2 oz. of marijuana and then later in the recipe the instructions say "measure out 2 cups of your ground up marijuana" ... WHICH IS IT - 1-2 oz or 2 cups? I don't think if I crush up my 33 grams I will get 1 cup :confused:.

2nd - as I understand it - No decarb necessary for salve. Is that right? I can certainly do it, but do I need that extra step?

3rd - Our conversation (PSAM) about decarb/freezing in consideration - decarb or not, would it be useful to loosen up the trichomes prior to adding to the coconut oil by setting my buds in the freezer overnight? Crush first or after?

4th - Some recipes encourage cooking the salve mix for many many hours, even days - 3 days!! Time we'll spent? I have the set up where I can simmer for days if need be but is there really an advantage? If not - what would you say is the OPTIMUM time line? Not looking for fast but best.

As always - I thank you for helping. Please don't be shy about correcting my misunderstandings. All for the better.

Cheers,
    cat

5. 1. I'd make a paste consistency

2. Split the first batch in half and decarb part of it. Some swear by the THCa version with no decarb. I like the decarbed THC version complete with transdermal stone.

3. Not really needed IMO

4. Long cooking will do both decarb and degrade. Since it does enter the body through the skin depending on how high the dose and how susceptible you are you can get a fair buzz going. A 3 day cook will give you a sleeper grade oil you can't stay awake on IME. 1 hour is plenty IMO but I like my cannabis as wide awake and get up and go as it can be.

My 2 cents.
    Psam will be along with his take on the subject shortly.
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I would recommend leaf if you have it instead of the popcorn buds but they'll work well. So will leaf but you need more of it. 33g will be plenty. 8oz of oil should work but you won't recover 8oz so if you want to end with 8oz you should use 9 for your extraction.

You should decarb at least partially. THCA has great topical benefits but so does THC and they're different. When I make my cream from bulk material I decarb 25-30 minutes.

The freezer is always a good option pre-extraction but not mandatory. Crush in extracting vessel so that all the trichome dust is contained.

There is no need to cook your oil more than a couple of hours just like if you were making oil for edibles. Extract it and strain it then use the infused oil to make your salve.

Now if you really want a good salve you'll make GD instead and use it to infuse your oil. Check out this video post for a few tips. :)
    Topical Creations - Part 4 w/video Strength Post 10062

• Like Like x 1
  8. "Paste consistency" just means a salve/ointment texture. That comes after your extraction when you add the beeswax. The "consistency" will depend on how much wax you use.

BnW was suggesting two halves in order to decarb one of them then add them together so that you'll have both THCA and THC. Instead, I recommend decarbing it all at once but for the shorter period. Either/or will get you a good spread of cannabinoids.

If you fully decarb your material and then make a strong oil and apply that directly to the skin without dilution, you might feel a light "giddiness" but short term the first time but not afterwards. Once it's in the topical form that won't happen. The cream won't induce sleep but will promote relaxation. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 3
  9. OK - thanks - good summary! I guess I'll be cooking up some GD this weekend. Seems like most everything else can be made with diffusions, using GD. Everything is gathered to do the job. :love-mj2:

Now one must begin... and get on the pot (so to speak) :biggrin:

cat

I'll let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I just checked out the Sealed Jar Chart comparisons again and realized the recommendation is +5 minutes compared to the open decarboxylation?
    So, 45 Minutes in a sealed Jar @ 240F is still the way to go?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Topicals are easy and hard to mess up. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. 40-45 should be fine @ 240°F. At the time it was just an experiment to see how it worked. The lab test indicates that 40 would have been okay. Over 45 and you'll start to degrade. I usually just tell everyone to use 40 minutes for it. It's not an exact procedure and has a little wiggle room. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Ok, it seems logical that it's about the same time. It takes a bit longer to heat up the jar, but the jar stays longer hot as well. Thanks for the testing!

Recently I needed a longer duration of effects and had just GD. I did an ad hoc solvent transfer this way:
    I put 10 mg worth of GD (about 12 drops) into a shot jar and placed it in an oven at about 100°C. It evaporated quickly and left a cannabinoid residue which I covered with a short layer of olive oil and let it stay in the oven for another 5 minutes. Took it out, filled it up with milk and down with it.
    It worked like it should have but I was wondering if I should have poured in the oil at first. Seemed easier the way I did it though. How would you guys do it?

• Like Like x 2
  14. With that small amount of alcohol it would have been like six of one and a half dozen of the other. That little alcohol would vaporize pretty quickly and probably quicker than if you had added the oil first. I probably would have done the same. :)

• Like Like x 3
  15. A DECARB question - do we need to use our decarbed stuff immediately or can it be stored for a while?
    Wondering about decarbing more than I intend to use for stuff I expect to make in a week or 2.

If good to decarb ahead of use - how long can I store and how should I do it to maintain good product?

Thanks.

cat

• Like Like x 1
  16. Keep it airtight in the freezer until ready for use. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hey guys... one question yet again... I got some troubles making my xmas honey... outside is pretty cold... and I evaporate the alcohol in my garage with rice cooker. I decarbed my material... and now I try to evaporate the alcohol 2 hours already, but it is pretty little evaporatated. I will stop and I will continue tommorow... hopefully it will be a little bit warmer. My question is... did I degraded the THC in the rice cooker? I make double boiler inside the rise cooker... as it is cold outside, even the water inside the rise cooker isn't really boiling but it's rather warm... but I hope I didn't degraded the THC making in less potent... :( :(

18. You need to get the water boiling. The honey needs to get hot enough to evaporate off the alcohol. Shouldn't hurt the potency. :mellow:

• Like Like x 1
  19. I am still make GD... I decarbed 20 grams of shake/popcorn's, solved in 90ml of 96% alcohol and I tried to evaporate the alcohol... 2 hours later I have about 70-80ml... the water inside the rise cooker isn't really boiling... :/ so my potency isn't gone ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. I can't speak to the potency - others will know for certain but may I suggest that you add boiling water to the rice cooker. Keep some water boiling in the house and add to the rice cooker as needed. Kind of a nuisance but necessity ...

My guess about the potency - you haven't overheated it just simmered a for a few hours - just means a longer warm soak in the alcohol - maybe for even better potency. This a guess by one who does not know :confusedalt: ;)

Good luck.

cat

• Like Like x 1