Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. I start this post with some trepidation as I'm pretty sure you can tell me that ALL THE ANSWERS I am seeking are somewhere to be found in these 1022 pages :eek: To be fair I have read 30 or 40 pages and bookmarked quite a few pertinent pieces but I still :confused: - so I ask...

Will be happy to just be pointed to the right combo of links.

My simple intent is to make an infused honey that my wife and I (with no major health issues other than the aches and pains from arthritis and daily work accumulated over 65 years) can ingest before bed time with a cup of tea or on a rainy Sunday when R&R is all that is called for. I will also make some RSO with this years crop of Northern Lights. We don't enjoy smoking/vaping (though I have a very fine Ghost MV1 - virtually unused) and don't intend to be consuming edibles - we eat dessert so rarely and aren't quite ready for bed right after supper. :roflmao:

SO - to the night time tea with honey question :coffee:

As I understand it, you guys write about not quite making RSO but stopping to a point of alcohol evaporation that still leaves the product liquid. To this, you then add coconut oil and the combination gets added to honey - is that right? Without getting into proportions and doses as I am trying to understand process - do I continue to evaporate the alcohol AFTER adding the coconut oil? It occurs to me that knowing the respective weight of the alcohol/cannabis solution and the coconut oil prior to adding the CO is the only way to know that the alcohol is all evaporated but requires some handling of hot containers along the way. OR do I not need to evaporate all the alcohol?? If yes, I do - then why not just heat up coconut oil with the RSO - the fully evaporated product?
    (Not being contentious here - simply trying to get it right.)

And then and then and then - I add honey to the warm coconut oil solution and cook that awhile at a steady moderate temperature (with a bit of glycerin or lecithin added?) Maybe add more honey to the heated mix after to reduce potency?

I've seen coconut oil infusion using the Magical Butter machine but the liquid and concentration resulting is way more than I would want to add to honey. I'm expecting/hoping to create an infused honey that does not taste like coconut or alcohol. I'm concerned about leaving 191or 200 proof alcohol in the final product - though admittedly my concerns may not be well founded.

Am I close to understanding? I will have a few more question to be sure but this gets the big ones on the table.

By the way - my cooking instrument is a sous-vide. I set some 18 oz canning jars (as many as 3 at a time) with open tops for evaporation and all controlled temperature throughout. Can't be easier. Works very well for cooking Chaga Tea too (closed lids in, that case).

Thank you very much for chiming in with your advice. You can't hurt my feelings telling me that I'm a dolt. One learns to live with his deficiencies ;)

Cheers, cat

• Like Like x 1
  2. I am really amazed by the results... this recipe will bring you a very potent product! I was very skeptical about every different than smoking way, cause I never got any effect out of my previous edibles/tinctures. But this recipe... this tincture changed my view for sure!
    As I mentioned in my previous post, I firstly made RSO - evaporating all the alcohol. I wasn't sure what to do with, so I decided later to make it into tincture, so I disolved it again in 190 proof alcohol. 3-4 grams RSO in 20ml of alcohol. Today I evapored 10ml more, so I got 10ml of tincture. I smoke every day for years now and mostly I smoke good grade bud - the best I can get, mostly sativa, which resulted in building a huge tolerance. This tincture is knocking me down... unbelievable! I saw this thread after I already made the tincture, so I skipped the whole freezing process... but next time I will apply it for sure! I take very small amount of water under my tongue and on top of that I put 6 drops, and I hold it for about 30sec to 1min. It doesn't burn at all... if it burns, just take some more water. Doing this will hammer me hard for 2 hours... once more, unbelievable! I really encourage other users to do it... very nice way to medicate if you don't want to smoke.
    I was thinking to make the next tincture again... first making RSO and after that using glycerine to produce a better flavor. If I produce RSO with alcohol, evaporate all the alcohol out and after that put some glycerine... will this produce less potent tincture?
    I already saved 30grams of mid grade silver haze which I will use to make 20-30ml of very potent tincture. I will report the results! Cheers!!!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Welcome, Catintheshop, and thanks for joining our discussion.

No need for trepidation. We don't bite nor are we infallible. It's a lot of pages only because I've been around for a while. When I first started here I knew nothing and it seemed like no one else did, either. Accurate info was hard to come by so I had to learn on my own. I started this thread so that others wouldn't have to struggle like I did so I share what I've learned over time. I'm glad that you overcame the trepidation. This is what I'm here for.

Honey is the very first thing that I made and was almost the last thing. I was ridiculed to no end by those "in the know" and nearly gave up posting. Fortunately, the honey was the real thing and is still my favorite infusion after all this time.

You use a solvent transfer but it's not like you described. There's no need to transfer to the coconut oil then mix with honey. I've seen some recipes like that but that's not the way we do it. You do evaporate your GD to a concentration you want to use instead of making RSO. It saves a lot of time and effort. However, you just mix the GD and honey together, no oil or anything else. You then heat the honey until all the alcohol has evaporated. Only the cannabinoids will be left behind.

Here's my original post in this thread along with a video. Watch the video to get an idea of the concept then I can explain it in more detail for you. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Like Like x 3
  4. It sounds like you're looking for something like the oral spray. It combines GD and glycerin in equal amounts with mint flavor but it could be anything else. It was designed as a spray but some people use it as drops. Adding anything to the GD is going to dilute it so in order to get past that you would make sure that your GD concentration was enough for your needs.

Here's a video that I made for the oral spray. It uses shatter but the principal is the same. If using GD then you'd reduce it to the concentration first. Take a look at it and it may give you some insight then we can discuss it further. :sneaky:

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thank you very much. I'll watch the video tomorrow when I have some quiet time. The infused honey will be absorbed well into the body without any help from coconut oil or lecithin? Sorry, if you explain that in the video. Jumping ahead ...

Thanks PsychedelicSam.

cat

6. Oh, yes. And rapid effects. Lecithin in the case of honey is just an emulsifier which isn't needed unless you wanted it whipped. :mellow:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I get the "heavy" reference in re: to Indicas, but what do you mean by wanting a little more "edge" out of a Sativa? More 'cerebral' than it already is?

You're keeping the temp at 240, but shortening the time to...?

8. #20448 Big Swifty, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Re: Freezing cycles

I'm aware of the effect freezing cycles have on changing THC > CBN and giving capsules/tinctures a more sleepy effect, but does the same hold true for THCA?

Would the use of freezing cycles be a good way to make a Sativa based THCA tincture a bit more sleepy? If so, how many cycles?

9. Having an "edge" in a Sativa is physical and not cerebral. It entails leaving a higher percentage of THCA in the final product and the effects are similar in nature to caffeine. It gives it more of a physical stimulation. I usually decarb at the same temperature but for 30 minutes instead of 40 when I want that effect. A lot will depend on how mature the material was when harvested. :)

The THCA is converted to THC before the conversion to CBN so you would lose the effects that you're looking for. You'll have trouble getting a sedative effect from an inactive tincture even if it's a heavy Indica. Just the freeze cycles alone won't effect any change without the heat during those cycles. If you want CBN in your inactive tincture then you might want to purchase some CBN isolate and just add it. :mellow:

PURE CBN CRYSTALS EXTRACT POWDER DISTILLATE (CANNABINOL)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Heck that's a good price maybe I will try out some CBN soon!

Those capsules I made out of that one gram of hybrid dispensary wax have been stellar.

I only added .20 grams of CBD as it was the end of my measly 5 gram jar.

You were spot on with the estimation and I ended up with 76 0 (single zero) sized coconut oil caps and I am pretty happy with them even if they are low dose for me, around 10mg.

I can squeak by on a single cap at a time twice a day but is much better with two at a time twice a day. With a little mystery CBD & THC tincture I still have as needed.

Now when I do partake in flower or vape concentrates, it really can knock my socks off again just like when I was a wee lad.

Next project will hopefully be some tincture again finally, this 190 proof ain't gonna make itself all chock full of cannabinoids, heh heh.

• Like Like x 2
  11. So guys, I am going to experiment some more. Which solvent would you advise me to transfer? I want to keep it using sublingual and I dont want to lose any potency. Would you advice me just to use your recipe for honey with tsp of juice to keep it liquid enough for the dropper? Or will it be better if I go with glycerin?

12. I'd go for the honey. You can use a syringe instead of a dropper for dosing. When the honey is finished you'll top it off to it's original volume to help with the moisture that was lost. You could add juice if you wanted. Experiment with them both. Don't make a lot. Just enough to see if you have any problems with the process. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. And it can be used sublingual without losing potency? I will do it in double boiler by first boiling the water in the microwave, take it out and place the bowl with the GD to evaporate the alcohol. It must go fast... as it is 8-9 ml. Thank you in advance !!!! I will give it a try right now!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes, the honey works well as a sublingual. Good luck. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Honey is good... but unmanagable with dropper... :( why is glycerine not recomended? If I evaporate the alcohol and use glycerine to make it into tincture, will it be less potent?

16. Glycerin just doesn't carry the cannabinoids very well and is very slow at bonding. The effects are disappointing at best. But you should try to do a small amount so that you can see for yourself. It's hard to describe it in words. The spray works well only because it's a 50/50 mix with the GD as the driver and the glycerin just as a diluent for the burn and flavor.

I use a spoon for my honey. I use a teaspoon measure for my dosing and configure the potency for that instead of using a dropper. Makes it a lot easier for dosing. :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. #20457 rpangelov, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    I understand your point. I made some research and indeed, as you say it, glycerine just doesn't carry the cannabinoids as well as alcohol does. To me it seems like alcohol is the only really potent carrier for tincture in order to achieve knocking-out effects from just couple of drops.
    Originally I am from eastern europe, so making alcohol at home is something very common... even my father is making it's own alcohol. So I use as solvent just 191 proof alcohol, I will evaporate all of it, and as last I will dilute it in "rakia" or "slivovica" - eastern europe alcohol made out of grapes - processing as you would do with whisky. So... as the drops of alcohol are coming when you produce "slivovica", most producers just throw the first liter away as it has too high alcohol percentage in order to drink it (and diluting it is a crime). So I will use some amount of this very first liter to dilute the RSO. As last... the secret ingredient - producers here are doing the for centuries... you take a leaf from some fruity wood and you put it in your tincture. Let it sink for couple of days - it will release some chlorophyll.... but it will transfer the taste of the fruit! All natural flavor... not too strong, but you will taste it for sure! The best fruit leafs to use are from figs!!!! TRY IT, YOU WILL LIKE IT!

PS: The slivovica I will use to dilute the RSO is somewhere between 70 and 80% of alcohol. Home produced gold <3

• Like Like x 4
  18. i am not sure on this but the first 5% is methyl alcohol, that's why they throw it, not because it's too high purity.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. It depends on the distilation... BUT just assume it's true! Even if I know the poducer, I won't risk my health. Because of that I will indeed go for the drinkable stuff at about 70%.

IF YOU USE HOMEMADE ALCOHOL, BE VERY CAREFULL FOR METHYL AS IT IS TOXIC!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Purity of ethanol is a function of how drunk you get, pure alcohol will not cause you to die or go blind at the same proportions you would with vodka. So if comparing to vodka of 40% you need 60% less to do the same job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1