Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Anything that you make from depleted material will be very green and the iso is more polar than ethanol and pulls more of the chlorophyll. I use mine for topicals, too, but I usually use it myself instead of giving it to others because of the green. If I do give it to someone, I always warn them that it will stain, especially on whites, but if you let it absorb first, it won't.

I have gotten it to turn brown but it looks like baby poop. There's too much chlorophyll to just turn it gold and instead it can look a little gross. UV from the sun will do it but it also degrades the cannabinoids so keep that in mind. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hey, Sam! Got directed here after I made a thread asking a number of questions. I'll ask the main question here but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the whole post.

So my question is, what is the optimal time for letting your cannabutter sit and simmer? I've tried googling and reading recipes but they all state different times (ranging from 30 mins to 24 hours) but never really explain why they choose to do it for a cetain amount of time which leaves me confused as to who to listen to.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. I left a detailed answer on your thread on the how and why.
    Short processing = wide awake amped up ride.
    Long Cooks = Great sleep aid.

With the 1 to 3 tablespoon amount I make each time only 20 minutes is actually needed.
    [​IMG]
    I think I know what I'm doing after this long at making and taking the mothers helpers.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. A lot of the cannabis beverage and syrup products use an emulsifier, usually glycerin, to help with that although they still need shaking before use. I've made syrups that will dissolve in water based drinks and while they blend right in, there's always that cannabis oil sheen on the surface.

The new water-based products that they have now are interesting. I've tried a powder which did completely dissolve clearly but it was only 10mg and I didn't notice anything from that small amount. It's a technology that is making big strides in the CBD market so I expect to see more of it for the med/rec market, too. They use microemulsion technology for that. :)

• Like Like x 5
  5. I think you're getting the hang of it. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Greetings, GiggleBlizzard, and thanks for joining our conversation.

There's a lot of variables when you're making butter or oil depending on your preparation and that means decarb or no decarb. This in turn determines the effects and it is based on cooking time.

A lot of people complain that their edibles put them to sleep which isn't what they wanted it for. As Brass stated, cooking too long will make your product more sedative in nature, even a racy Sativa but not cooking long enough isn't good, either. I don't believe that anyone has done a study focusing on this to try to determine the optimal range. I'd like to do that but don't have the resources.

It will depend on your decarb. If you decarb first then you won't need that long. Some say 20 minutes up to 2 hours but no longer. If you don't decarb then the time stretches to about 12 hours for it to be active but not sedative. Of course, there will be other things come into play such as whether you use water, stovetop or crockpot and temperature.

Of course, I make my butter/oil differently than just about anyone but it's a little more work than most people want to do. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. So this is the 2nd time I'm using leftover material to make something. And this is the 2nd time this has happened. It's not as bad this time, but once the ISO was almost all gone I took it off my coffee maker and moved it under the vent that leads outdoors in my kitchen, it was also closer to the fan now too. I went outside and Vaped some weed real quick (its a dynavap M and you can kill the whole thing in under 2 minutes, the hits are very strong for a vaporizer!) and I smoked a cig, so maybe 8 minutes I was outside. I came back and it looked like perfect timing, all the alcohol was gone and the gooey stuff was all moving and didn't looked like it was starting to get hard at all. I put 2tsp of coconut oil in it and alittle less then a full teaspoon full of olive oil and used the Teaspoon measurer to stir it. Not everything was mixing after a few minutes so I put it back on the coffee maker for maybe 15 minutes, then I started to stir it again and there were a few black clumps and some stuff stuck to the bottom of the jar. I scraped as much as I could off the jar and tried spreading it around in the jar and letting the oils dissolve it. That didn't seem to help at all, so I decided to collect it off the teaspoon and easily rolled it into a ball. I put that on a lid and left it there overnight. Some of it dissolved into a pool of oil around the ball. So I threw alittle more oil on top of the ball and alittle more dissolved in the last 24 hours. Wish I took pictures at each step. I'll go take 1 now but do you think I evaporated it too far? Or maybe I should have winterized it 1st? Just never really seen this when making regular GD, although because of humidity in NJ I have had to reduce 190 proof to RSO then add back an ounce or 2 of alcohol. And occasionally doing that I'll come across a Small amount of a reddish waxy looking stuff that just will never dissolved back into the Everclear. Just wondering if you have any ideas about what this stuff in either situation might be. Also since I learned humidity could be a factor if using natural evaporation when making GD I came up with a solution to save myself from losing more alcohol when it evaporates. And it could possibly be used to save alcohol when people need to use 151.

• Like Like x 1
  8. But when I decarbe bud it's always in a sealed mason jar and then goes straight into the freezer without being opened. When you finally open it your losing terps and degraded terps and whatever else, you can smell that your losing a very strong smell at least. But as soon as I open the frozen jar I inhale the aroma(still swear I get a buzz from it) then I pour in the frozen Everclear.

Then after both washes/rinses and before I reduce or evaporate anything I remove just less then the 1 ounce or whatever amount of alcohol I want to finish with. I seal this up in a separate bottle or jar, then I either naturally evaporate the alcohol or put it on my coffee maker for a quick evaporation. When it's evaporated down to a very small amount with alcohol still in it then I'll add it to the 1 ounce or whatever amount of alcohol I removed before evaporation. Or since it's easy to miss when it's gone from still having alcohol to becoming a milky watery mess, then I'll just take it down to RSO and mix it with the 1 ounce or whatever I removed before evaporation. Figured this at least saves 1 ounce of alcohol every time if someone was making GD with 151. And it might possibly help retain slightly more terps, but I'm not sure about that part

• Like Like x 3
  9. Why did Stiggy leave? what's up with that

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. He's been permanently banned. It wasn't his choice. Don't know why for sure. :confused_2:

11. I'm not sure what's going on with that. It could be specific to iso. A depletion batch is going to be heavier on the polar compounds and waxes and those don't always dissolve when the goo is reconstituted so you may get clumps that don't. Winterizing might help. :mellow:

• Like Like x 2
  12. #20412 OneE, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Well..... thats good to hear ---- I got the feeling/impression that it was because of much more serious health issues....
    Edit to add --- I got that feeling from the kinda cryptic good bye....
    Edit II --- didn't mean to imply its good he got banned, just that it wasn't something health related.....

Good to see too that uploading files is back..... I was kinda bummed when that went away. When did they bring that back?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I don't know. I don't think that I've ever used that function. :mellow:

14. That really sucks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

15. Yeah I think I'll try making a depletion batch with Everclear next time and see if that helps. And then if it still happens again I'll make sure to try winterizing it.

It's not in ISO anymore, it's in a small amount of coconut oil and olive oil. I'm thinking I should just use a coffee filter to remove as much of the clumpy stuff as possible, I got some of it to dissolve in the oil after letting it sit for 2 days, then I tried heating it for a few minutes thinking maybe more would dissolve but seems like that just added more stuff that I had to scrape from the bottom

• Like Like x 2
  16. It looks like we've been stuck back on the top again, "pinned" but we're not the only ones. I'm glad to see Brass' thread was finally added. That one deserved it although it will probably increase his workload. :ey:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. I don't mind a bit more work when it's something I'm passionate about like the hash oil I make. It's been my saving grace since I refined my methods trimming down Kats base recipe as far as I could without any loss in strength.
    With just myself and TTS as test subjects it's hard to tell just how potent the stuff is until we find another unsuspecting tester.

The last round of RSO caps were so speedy even TTS said they kept him wired most of the night while he waited for it to wear down enough to finally get a few hours of actual sleep.

Next round I'll have to add at least 4 heat-freeze cycles to part of the batch and see if I can't get some sleeper grade oil for him.

As I don't come in the front door much I'd totally missed being added to the sticky list until Sam pointed it out to me. Gratis again for that Sam.
    BNW

• Like Like x 7
  18. 1518160672-6763-thankscomic-2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  19. Hi Sam and all, newbie hoping for some advice. I'm going to make a tincture which I want to have a very sedative nature.

I'm going to use 2g Gelato wax which is too sativa for me to vape. I intended to decarb for half an hour at 240F until no more gases to activate it but I'm really wondering now how best to develop that more sedative effect.

Is it as simple as a longer decarb? Or is it the secondary heating when making edibles and caps that increases the sedative effect?

To mimic that could I say decarb for a half hour, whack in freezer, then heat again? Or am I overcomplicating it?!

Any advice welcome. I intend to whack it in 95% wheat ethanol and assume it mixes readily. Intend to do two dropper bottles of 10ml with 1g in each, so 0.1g per dropper as I have a fairly high tolerance.

20. Greetings, Brianjones, and welcome to out conversation.

I'm not really sure that you're going to be able to change that very much from it's current effects. You may be able to make it a bit more sedative with a longer decarb but I doubt if it makes that big of a difference. If you were making oil then you utilize the heat/freeze cycles but that doesn't work with alcohol. Gelato is a pretty middle of the road hybrid and I doubt that you'll be able to influence that. It's usually the secondary heat of the processing that changes those effects, too long or the cycles, direct extraction situations.

I've never tried to do that with a tincture so I wish you luck. It shouldn't have any trouble with dissolving, though. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 3