Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Had a few days to try the Smarties with GD on them. Seems like they work pretty well so far! Great idea Sam, thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. It takes a little work to make them but it's not hard work to make enough to last and the convenience makes it all worthwhile. I really wish that I could take the credit for this but @entman gave it to me to share here. My thoughts had never taken that tangent, yet, with candy but it's a heck of a lot more convenient than making hard candy. Using today's terminology, I guess we can call it a "candy hack" and it's just another example of how versatile GD is. :ey:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Awesome. You rock. I made a tincture with mitragyna speciosa when I tripped down the stairs, messed up my leg, and then reinjured it in yoga about a year ago. I already had the lab ware, and the technique that worked well for it. I am hoping that lab ware and technique will carry over nicely with the new tincture. I will write it up, and post it asap.

When I added the citrate buffer to cut the proof from 200 to 100 plus nail pH to 6, I did run into a problem with green oily precipitates, and had rather keep alkaloids in solution. So, I hope I do not create an oil with this next venture.

That sublingual drug deliver system direct to the brain allowed me to reduce the dosage of mitragyna speciosa from 5 grams through digestive system to 0.3 grams in tincture.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. We only work with cannabis tinctures here and I have no idea why you'd moderate the pH unless you're going for THC acetate and that process is way above my abilities. If you've already got experience with your method, go for it. :)

A little tip: lose your references to that other herb in GC.

• Like Like x 3
  5. @Leafy Greens

A little back story on Sublingual Alcohol Tinctures vs Coconut oil based edibles via the digestive tract.

Sublingual is very much like smoking with a fast hit and short duration being mostly Delta-9-THC

Edible takes hours to come on but lasts 10 times as long and is roughly 5 times as Strong-Intense per gram as Smoking is because the Liver has turned THC into 11-Hydroxy-THC

I get so much more use per gram with edibles there is no comparing the two. Once you find that sweet spot with edible oil your costs will drop to a 1/4 of what you used smoking or converting to tincture.

Toking and tinctures are great for right now relief but it's edible oil that gives all day medication from a single dose.
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. That's not really always the case. I've experienced just the opposite on many occasions. It takes twice to three times the dosage of GD and other non-lipid mediums. The only one that has a noticeably shorter life is sugar infusion but not candy. At least that's my take. I have 100mg/ml Dragon oil (tested) in my cabinet and I barely touch it.

Of course, there are situations, like yours and many others, where that boost is needed for your pain and that method of consumption is better for you. There are a lot of other uses for cannabis where the other mediums like tincture are just as or more effective. Nothing's an absolute when it comes to this stuff.

You're completely right about the smoking, though, even though it's still my favorite way to dose. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Im pretty sure Sweet tarts could be used too, tried to buy some twice and both places didn't have them. But I plan to try it eventually. Yeah it takes awhile to make them but it's not hard at all. I've made them 3 times so far and even used the oven one time to help speed it up

• Like Like x 1
  8. Howdy guys. Been lurking for a few months. Incredible thread.

I have made 3-4 rounds of tincture and it works AMAZING. I am a recreational user, and this stuff knocks everyone's socks off. Thanks to all who help make this thread (especially P Sam).

I have a question that I think I already know the answer to, but wanted to pose it here for confirmation/correction. I filter the final product at least 3 times, sometime 4. I keep all the made tincture in the freezer ( I use 151 rum), and have noticed the accumulation of black, oily, tar-like stuff at the bottom. I left it in there, but now I'm pretty sure that these are the waxes and chlorophylls that sometime leech through (and get through filters).

Now that the black mass looks somewhat concentrated on the bottom of the vessels, I was going to filter them one more time. When filtering before, the tincture was warmer than it is now in the freezer. I just want to make sure that if this black stuff has THC or something I want, I don't want to throw it out. But if it's just crap to make my tincture taste more bitter and grassy - then I want to remove it.

Thanks again.

Stoner in San Diego

• Like Like x 2
  9. I hadn't thought of Sweet Tarts. I bet those would work. I like the convenience of these kinds of candies. Admittedly this isn't going to change the world but I think it's kind of neat. There's been nothing but positive reaction from them. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Greetings, san diego stoner, and thank you for joining our conversation. And it's a good thing that you did. Hold everything and stop in your tracks.

That black, oily, tar-like substance at the bottom of your jar is your cannabis oil and not the waxes and chlorophyll. Oh, those are there, too, but only as part of the overall composition and because it's in the freezer. Most of that oily goo, though, is your potency and the reason that it does that is because you use 151 proof alcohol instead of 190. They don't sell 190 in Cali and I hear that 120 is all they sell now.

151 has extra water in it that causes some issues when you try to reduce the tincture. Alcohol evaporates before water but your cannabis is only soluble in alcohol and as your ratio of water to alcohol gets higher, all your cannabinoids are going to be concentrated down to a smaller and smaller volume and is seen as the black oil globs. You don't want to filter that since it's all your potency.

There's a little different process for 151 for best results. You can still use it the way you have it now but you'd have to shake it well before dispensing. Here's how we do it here. Take a look at it then I'll explain any questions you may have and how it applies to what you're seeing in yours.

I went to see a friend in San Diego a few years ago and fortunately I bought my alcohol in AZ before I crossed. I didn't know at the time that they only had 151. I hadn't developed this workaround until a while later. :mellow:

Detailed Reduction & Concentration Guide w/video for 151 Proof Green Dragon (Flowers/trim)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Phew. Glad I asked. Wasn’t sure but now I am. Thanks again for the assistance (and quick).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Don't be afraid to ask either here or in the Dragon Lite thread where that guide is. 151 can be tricky but can be tamed. Also, if you have access to kief then the 151 isn't a challenge at all and saves a lot of money in alcohol. I have a guide for that, too. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  13. spot on with drug delivery system from my limited experience with another plant from the coffee family. i enjoy mixing it with my coffee with uptake through the digestive system better than the sublingual alchohol tincture.

thanks for posting the molecules. i enjoy learning about them, and plan to try out my recipe with some trim a friend gave me to see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  14. upload_2018-10-23_14-49-41.png

here's some 200 proof i bought by mail order from colorado for $42/liter Home | XFBEV

• Like Like x 2
  15. Thanks. I bought some 190 initially, and it was $150 a gallon. $50 for delivery. 151 works great and is about $28 per 750ml here. I think next time I will get some 200 proof on line. If you get 5 gallons it was $275 delivered. That’s actually pretty good. And then I won’t have the 151 related issues (not that they are a big deal at all).

Much appreciated.

Stoner in San Diego

• Like Like x 4
  16. Here is my PEZ dispenser and a few Smarties and PEZ candies. I mixed a concentrated tincture and saturated the candy drop by drop. The PEZ candies have a bigger indent on each side than the Smarties, a little easier to work with. My candy has taken on a wax like consistency. I have two dispensers ready for a party Saturday night. My neighbor, admittedly a lightweight, thought one was good and is planning on two Saturday night. I personally will try NOT to eat all the candy and make do with a nice Sativa Green Dragon.

Attached Files:

• PEZ.jpg
      PEZ.jpg
      File size:
      53.4 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 4
  17. in the spirit of sharing, here's the recipe i used today:

i did not have a large enough mason jar yet was able to use my 5 liter Erlenmeyer flask, and shake the 114 grams of trim after decarboxylation for 40 minutes at 240 deg F along with 0.6 liters of organic 200 proof alcohol without braking it.

then, i made a citrate buffer.

citrate buffer - stock solution:
    • 200 ml distilled water
    • 0.24 g citric acid (anhydrous citric acid)
    • 0.22 g sodium citrate (trisodium citrate dihydrate)
    next, i mixed the alkaloid extract that is 200 proof with the citrate buffer in 1:1 ratio to bring it down to 100 proof.

50 ml tincture extract 200 proof + 50 ml citrate buffer pH 6 water = 100 ml total = 0.1 liters 100 proof

114 grams trim
    114 g trim/0.6 liter 200 proof = 190 g/l = 190 mg/ml = 0.2 g/ml - dose: 1 ml (one dropper)

very well pleased. the 200 proof before the cut with citrate buffer was too much for my mouth, and i could not taste anything for another day. as soon as i added the citrate buffer, the solution turned a cloudy and milky green color instead of the translucent deep green of the 200 proof. no sublingual tongue burn, and much better taste than coconut oil for me.

• Like Like x 3
  18. So you're just buffering for the burn after your extraction. I see. That sounds like a lot of effort just to avoid the sublingual burn. I don't know many people who voluntarily do that after a few experiences so I can't blame you for that. I'm a wuss, too, but I just put my dosing in a shot glass of water and swish it around in my mouth as long as I can before swallowing. It works just as well. If you want to use your chemistry set to accomplish the task then more power to you. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Chemistry is not my field of expertise. I asked my business partner that has his PhD in chemistry, and he said use the citrate buffer. Not only does it cut the alcohol yet it locks the pH to 6. I am pretty sure that pH might play a role with sublingual uptake that is more instantaneous of a drug delivery system than through the digestive system. It took me an extra 5 minutes to make the citrate buffer. Weighing the citric acid and sodium citrate to .001 g accuracy was the most difficult part.

Sent from my SM-T837V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. I have a good friend who prefers the scientific approach and I know a few folks like that, too, with science backgrounds. Better living through chemistry as we were fond of saying. I have to keep it simple, though. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 3