another rousing round of "name that problem"

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by derilicteman, Aug 24, 2011.

1. i have a few ugly leaves on my plants, and while i think i know what's wrong with some, i wanted to see what some of you, clearly, more experienced guys might think. as well as what you'd do to fix it...

here's some info on my setup
    -100% coco, aside from some stuff that came in with a few of my clones
    -4 foot, 8-bulb T5 for veg, 600w HPS for flower
    -foxfarm nutrient line (basically my problem is in here)

here's some info on how i water
    -2x daily (hand water)
    -half strength of what the bottle suggests for the first
    (1 tsp grow big, 6 ml calmag, 1 tbs big bloom for veg/1 tsp tiger bloom for flower)
    (1 or 2 drops superthrive)
    -considerably less for the second
    -ph set at 5.8
    -ppm for first watering usually around 700-800 (500 for the smaller dose)
    -aim for 10-20% run off
    -water at morning and night

and here's the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there is also one sick baby that im all like, what happened?
    my idea is to just flood this bitch with 5.8 water with barely anything in it...
    [​IMG]

2. first one is definitely nitro def. coupled with what could be potassium problem. 2nd pic is most likely phosphorus being locked out. 3rd pic looks like you may have spilled something on that particular leaf. last pic looks more like a heat problem to me. you didnt mention your temps though so i could be wrong on the last one. heres a really great guide to refer to https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

3. #3 derilicteman, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
    my temps are between 73 and 83 F depending on day or night...
    humidity level is 44% with a high of 47% today...

so when my gf waters the plants, she spills all over them, and i try to clean them up, but can't always get it... that caused the ugly burns on a few leaves...

the nitro def in the first pic pisses me off, because i tend the fuck out of that plant, and it is never happy

i have another seedling that looks like that one, i just noticed it... the rest of my seedlings are way, WAY happier, like 5 times the size, all planted on the same day or two

edit: i checked out that guide, i see a lot of what happens every once in a while with my plants, i honestly just think it's because fox farm nutes in pure coco probably wasnt a good idea. when i used cns-17 before it didn't have nearly as many problems

4. Looks like a phosphorus deficiency.

I tend to get the issue you see in the first picture if I am allowing the coco to get too dry between waterings. If you had a recent dry out, or near dry out, then that is probably the cause. Changing what is a good nutrient formula to combat a problem which is the result of improper watering frequency will only cause more issues.

My suggestion is to stay the course but with daily feedings now. If the plants seem to need more food overall then I guess I'd pick up my nutrient strength by 10-20% extra.

5. #5 derilicteman, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
    i do water that plant every day twice a day, the babies only get once or twice depending on dryness, i took those photos right before i watered today, that's why they look dry on the top... (and i did suffer a near dry out the other day when they didn't get watered like i thought)

also everywhere i read, people are saying don't use FF for pure coco, and i can see why
    the fact that i have raise the dosage to almost full strength makes it a shitty nute line because i don't get as much bang for my buck. when i used cns-17 i never had anything that looked like this... only the occasional bad leaf every week or so, not every other day, and it lasted me a lot longer. guess i should have asked more people before wanting to try something new... regardless im almost out of the "big bloom" so im just going to pick up the whole csn-17 line anyway and wait until these FF nutes are done and gone. (i'm not saying you can't use these nutes, i just don't wanna)

i don't mind too much overall, the plant in the first pic is a clone that i picked up that wasn't in very good shape. all of the seeds that i made (im declining to state it's ancestry until the phenotype is more stable) are doing really well, so i guess the violator kush just needs more than my personal babies or even the green crack/ vanilla kush clones i got...

thank you for the input, i'll see which bottle has what phosphorus in it and then choose which one to up the dosage on i guess.

also to make myself feel better i took a picture of the whole plant from picture three with the problem area highlighted to compare it to the whole plant)
    [​IMG]

6. i also remembered that the other night the plants got pretty cold from forgetting to turn off my ac unit that i keep by my grow tents, if i recall the meter i have said it was about 70 or 71 F in the tent, could this have given way to any kind of bacteria or anything. i know cold temps can lock out certain nutes, so does that make sense for any of these? specifically the little baby that has a peter pan complex?

7. thats not cold enough.
    and what are u doing using a clear pot in pic 3 that a big no no. if thats not causing problems now it will roots hate light wrap that pot up or paint it.

8. yea people say dont use clear pots because of the roots, but that plants has been in there for a minute and nothing went bad... i have duct tape though, so i'll go ahead and give that pot a once over

9. i get that prob on the lower leafs when my coco drys out a little too much, id be more worried about the top on the left.

10. good catch.

11. yea, that top is totally fine... want an updated pic of her?

edit: also the pics are from my cell phone so they aren't the best when it is from far away