Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another quitting thread. Help please?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by makip, Mar 31, 2013.

1. So I'm thinking taking a break from cannabis. A long break hopefully. I'm a HEAVY smoker right now. I want to stop smoking and eventually when I do, only smoke occasionally. I'm spending too much money on weed cause my tolerance is very high, to a point I've contemplated doing other things. This morning I went dry and light up a cigarette after years because I wasn't able to score some bud...yes I have very low self control.

Any tips? I can't quit cold turkey so I'm thinking of smoking tobacco for a while (pure tobacco. No nicotine) to easy my desire to smoke and eventually stop. Would that be a good idea?

2. I too want to slow way down on my smoking but like you, find it very difficult to do so. I think if you're gonna start smoking bogs it's gonna tempt you to spark up some weed as well. I know you don't wanna quit cold turkey but it's honestly the only way for a heavy smoker to stop. And then when you feel you want to smoke again, then, well smoke again. I find the best way to stop is by giving away all your pieces and smoking accessories, either selling them or keeping them with a friend until future use

3. Tobacco is no substitute for weed, just find ways to keep yourself entertained

4. I agree with both saying that tobacco is not going to help. If anything it will bring you into another addiction, or just make you still want to smoke. I agree with the person above me, either sell all your accessories you smoke out of, or make sure they are hard to get to, like they said "with a friend".
    The way I would try to cut down, is really just take up some hobbies that you have forgotten about, or even that you have never tried. Really it is all just filling the void of getting high, with something productive.
    Good luck man, hope you go down the right path, and get to the place you want to be with mary jane.

5. If you're a heavy smoker, you don't necessarily have to take a long break to bring your tolerance down. A few days, or a week can bring it down a lot. Although once you quit a week it will be a lot easier to continue for a longer amount of time. If you can make it a day you can make it two. If you can make it two days you can make it a week. You should also exercise more and eat more omega-3s, maybe cut down on caffeine (if you consume a lot).

6. Sports/ hobbies are the way to go. Since the motocross season is starting nice and early this year ive been riding often for 3 weeks and dont even have the urge to smoke, just focus on my riding. Did the same with snowboarding/snowmobiling this year, anything to take your mind off it, it really isnt that hard, the first 2-3 days are shitty then its smooth sailing

7. Exercise! You will look better in the long run and it should help your cravings, too! :hello:

Exercise can reduce cannabis use in persons who don't want to stop (news – 2011)
    [FONT=&quot]Exercise can reduce cannabis use in persons who don't want to stop[/FONT]

Aerobic Exercise Training Reduces Cannabis Craving and Use in Non-Treatment Seeking Cannabis-Dependent Adults (full – 2011) Aerobic Exercise Training Reduces Cannabis Craving and Use in Non-Treatment Seeking Cannabis-Dependent Adults

8. I find it easiest to just reduce how much I'm smoking over a few days rather than just stop if I find I'm getting my tolerance up too high, after like a week my tolerance is down to the appropriate amount for what I'd be making myself smoke.

It's as simple as not smoking joints or blunts or bongs, etc. get a spoon pipe or something and take 1 hit per hour or something like that, you'll quickly be adjusted to that amount.

If you want to take a long break I would just nip it in the bud and stop, after a bit you forget about weed and you're fine just remind yourself of that until you're at that point.

9. Nicotine is found naturally in tobacco. They just add more into the cancer sticks they sell. So good luck with that one.

I am a heavy heavy smoker. I have no problem taking breaks. Personally i am taking a break after today till 4/20. Just substitute physical activity with smoking and pick up a new hobby. It really isnt hard like everyone says. not sleeping a few days is the only downside.

10. #10 makip, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
    Thanks for the replies guys. I won't do tobacco I'm not used to the taste anymore and it tastes like shit lol. I might go back to playing tennis although the gym is going to be a challenge cause im used to smoking every time I go to the gym. But after today I'm committed.

11. For me, since I smoke for insomnia I would have to go back to benzo and ambien.

I stopped for over 10 years. I had to not hang around my buds that still smoke bud for about a year too tempting. I came back because big pharma was worse than MJ for side effects.

12. Find new hobbies to do. Go to the gym, even if you're just jogging it's productive and helps your lungs and body. I know it's not a public favorite but as a pre-law student, I enjoy reading and researching (hell, it's what I'm doing on here most of the time) to help me pass the time and become more knowledgable.

13. I'd say invest in an ecig. Then buy drops with either 18mg of nicotine or no nicotine at all.
    Great alternative :3
    -experience

14. User with an ecig brand as his name leaves a post about an ecig in a thread where the first poster doesn't want nicotine. Eggcellent.

15. quitting cold turkey is the only way its going to happen. Since you said you have low self control there is no way you are going to be able to ration your weed. Cold turkey and drop the life. Don't hang out with those people who smoke when they are smoking. Get yourself away from everything associated with it for a while.

16. Originally Posted by Joyetech
    I'd say invest in an ecig. Then buy drops with either 18mg of nicotine or no nicotine at all.
    Great alternative :3
    -experience

17. what u mean no nicotine?

18. Listen man don't take this offensively, but to me it sounds like your running away from your problems with weed. If you ever consider doing something else cuz weeds 'not doing it for you' you should quit all substances right now. I'm kind of in the same thing ur in, I'm going sober for 20 days starting today

19. Sorry forgot to add, I'm also going through physical withdraw and it's the worst pain in the world, emotionally as well. It feels like my body is turning inside out and I threw up for 6 hours this morning. I wish I would have stuck with weed I've made so many fucked decisions this passed year.....ehh...live and learn I guess