Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Question about Making Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by heydeeohred, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Long time smoker, first time poster, also first time alchemist.

So I did quite a bit of research on tinctures as well as having a bud of mine (heh heh) give me instructions and every recipe I've come across says to let the plant matter sit in the alcohol for at least 30 days after decarb.

Is this really necessary and has anyone actually tested variations in time allowed to sit vs. potency and can confirm that the alcohol is in fact still getting goodies out of the plant matter after over 2 weeks have passed?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I usually soak mine for 2 weeks at room temperature with frequent shaking, but suspect 2 or 3 days might be ok. I've also used Magical Butter Machine to do it over 2-4 days of two 8 hour runs per day on the "No Heat" setting. Physical agitation speeds up the process.

I also make whole herb edibles, and the 2 week tincture seems about as strong as edibles made from the same amount of original herb. I'd guess that 95% or more of the cannabinoids are extracted.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Oh, man, we have the Tincture Master on the forum! Check out Another Tincture thread in the edible section. Links to recipes are in the first post. Since the thread is so long folks don't mind answering questions. PsychedelicSam has the tests available to show the success of his method. His methods are tried and true.
    Seriously, there's no sense in me copying his directions here. He also has videos. You're getting ready to go off in a weird direction, read his directions first, please. Good luck and enjoy your tincture. Not trying to say you're wrong. There are many ways to get where you want to go, but this Green Dragon Tincture is grade AAA.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ok thanks I'll check it out. I was a little intimidated by the length of the thread but now that you mentioned it I'll look for the recipe.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Here it is. Don't let the length intimidate you. If you have a question, post it anywhere there and we'll see it. :)

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. [​IMG]
    Decarbed weed (240 F for 40 minutes)
    A near full quart jar of weed just out of the freezer.
    A full fifth of 151-190 proof beverage grade Everclear Also frozen.
    Combine and shake 10 seconds.
    DONE.
    Strain out the weed bits with a potato ricer or garlic press
    [​IMG]
    I typically get back 500ml of the 700ml I started with.
    Longer then just a few seconds keeps stripping polar compounds like waxes and chlorophyll that you really don't want unless your deliberately after extremely chlorophyll rich tincture.
    Longer soaks bring more bitterness IMO too.
    The high proof alcohol has done it's work of stripping the THC from the weed in the first 5 seconds.
    Most of this I'll reduce into RSO.
    My 2 cents
    BNW

7. Thanks BrassNWood for your recipe!

I didn't put the everclear or the bud in the freezer ahead of time, I'll be sure to do that next time. Do you know how room temperature vs. freezer ingredients affects the process? Thanks again!

8. @heydeeohred
    Just more waxes and chlorophyll. It does the same good job of stripping the THC warm or cold. The cold just limits how much other crap we get.
    Go ahead and strain it and then winterize it to see if you can't get the waxes off.
    24 hours in the deepest freeze you can find and strain it through a coffee filter. Wet the filter before hand with clean alcohol so the filter doesn't suck up to much tincture.
    It'll work the same as a cold extraction it'll just likely be more bitter then it needed to be.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  9. Very interesting topic.
    I've been trying to find data on the efficiency of a single qwet wash, but this is the best I've done so far:
    Super-Cooled QWET Wash for Cannabis Extraction Using Dry Ice

For 1 g of 15% thc herb, there will be 150 mg thc.
    If that thc were to exist in some 80% thc RSO, then that would mean (150 mg)/0.8 = 190 mg RSO.
    So perfect ethanol extraction for this hypothetical herb should yield about (190 mg)/(1000 mg) = 19% of the original flower weight. This translates to 5.25 g RSO per oz flower.
    Hypothetical 20% thc herb would yield an amount of RSO equal to (20/15)*19% = 25%.
    One oz of this should produce 7 grams of 80% thc RSO.

In the experiment referenced above, whose strength of herb we don't know, only 11.5% of the original herb ended up as concentrate. Dry ice was used to get starting materials colder than most freezers, so this is probably more efficient than without dry ice. The soak time was 15 minutes, and from the pictures the volume of alcohol was large enough to not worry about saturation.

If we assume 15% herb, then this 1/4 hour soak got only 11.5/19 = 61% of the thc.

This is just a crude estimate, but I think it shows that, for this one experiment, cold ethanol extractions aren't as efficient as claimed. I've seen claims of 80% for the first wash of just a few minutes. If 1/4 hour soaks using dry ice cold materials get only 60%, then just a couple of minutes at normal freezer temp will miss a lot of thc.

10. Without a ton of very costly lab testing that my retired income status doesn't have the funding for we have to rely on empirical testing for much of what we do. Enough real world testing of variation in time and temps eventually do give fairly consistent results. Done them hot, cold, short, medium, long.
    The simple question is are you stoned?
    YES most assuredly YES. Very hammered from all the preparations we do.
    I've done enough pounds of material and gallons of alcohol to know what works and how it tastes as well as it's strength. 10 seconds to 10 hours or 10 days it's all the same power-strength. The only thing that changes is how fucking nasty-bitter-green tasting it gets.
    My personal observations.
    BNW

11. Thanks for the info.
    You're right, nothing beats trial and error.
    I usually soak my stuff for 2 weeks, sometimes with heating, but have been hoping that quick washes would work as well.
    You might've talked me into giving this a try.
    Another worry is whether long soaks might pick up more unknown medicines that short soaks don't, but that's impossible to know.

• Like Like x 1
  12. @bkarnaze
    There is a whole camp of FPE (Full Plant Extracts) thinkers and users that are very into the long soak but I've found the short fast cold to be most effective both for my own issues and the few people I gift RSO to. Admittedly I don't have long term studies to confirm my suspicions but I'll stand by my feeling on the subject for now.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1