Another noob needing advice :(

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by naughty0, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

First off thanks to everyone whos helped make this site a great resource, I've been reading constantly and found it really useful.

Problem is I was looking for was advice on my plants, the lower leaves seem to be "drying up" from the tips inwards, going a whitish yellow colour and drying out... any advice?

Sorry, I'm sure constant noob questions are a burden!

thanks guys

Pictures of my plants:

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

2. *bump*
    any ideas anyone?
    if you need more infor just let me know...

3. more details plz... how much are you watering and with what water, nutes??? Soil, lights....details plz:confused:

4. ok no problem...

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    soil/compost/vermiculite/pearlite mix

What brand and type of soil?
    Standard cheap garden centre

Indoors or outdoors?
    indoors

What strain?
    k c - leda uno

How old are the plants?
    about a month

What type of lights and how many watts?
    started on window sill, moved to bedroom with less light but more privacy when they grew a bit bigger (better safe than sorry!) started using 600w HID in hope it would help day before pics were taken

How far from the lights? about 3 1/2'

What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    tapwater, every few days or even less often... when they need it!
    (our tapwater is pretty clean round here)

What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    no nutes yet

What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    n/a

What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    unknown

What size pots?
    8" or larger

Any bugs? Look real close.
    NO

Any other pertinent info?
    first time, temps in room have gone from cool-ish to warm-ish since installing light, have installed 3 large fans as result to keep air flow up and general temps down, planning on starting with basic "baby bio for herbs" nutes as of next watering, will consider putting more money into it if highly recommended (especially if anyone can recomend a product available in europe?)

thanks

5. do you know the pH of the water that you water them???
    I use tap water as well, but I let the water sit out open 24hrs prior to use. This allows the chlorine to evaporate (my PPM goes from around 60 to 30 by just doing that). Its important to know the pH of the water though...

6. i think your plants will love that 600 watt light. get it growin- then the nutes.

7. #7 Antigen, Apr 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
    Yep, if you had them in the windowsill with the window closed that would definitely not be good enough light. If the window was open they would still need to get a lot of direct sunlight. They do look pretty stretched out like they did not have enough light, so that new light you bought should help them out a lot!

Also, you will want to get the light as close as you can without it being too hot. You might be able to get closer than 3 1/2 feet. Try holding your hand under the light for one full minute and see if it starts to feel hot. If it doesn't, move closer and try again. As close as you can get without it getting hot, put it that close to the plants.

With regards to your soil, did you buy potting soil (not topsoil or some other type)? Are there time-release fertilizers in it? You can find this out by looking at the bag the soil came in. If it has time-release fertilizers you should transplant out of it because those things will hurt your plant over time. They'll be releasing unknown amounts of ferts at unknown times and messing up your plant.

Finally, I agree with Cannabis Kate, you need to know the pH of your water. You can get a water drop test kit for like seven bucks, and you should also buy a bottle of pH UP and pH DOWN so you can adjust it to the correct level of 6.5-6.8.

8. Guys

Thanks for the response, i'm not sure if the plants are looking any better yet, only to say they're definately not worse! I've moved them slightly closer to the light as recomended, have ordered a PH meter (figured a decent quality one will be useful anyway). I can't honestly remmeber what the soil was, my first few i started in a potting soil that was for propogating/seedlings, but didn't have any slow release nutrients or anything. when i moved one of these into cheap compost it seemed to love it, so I've been using the "cheap" compost mostly now anyway - it's a good airy type so probably much better for the roots than the old soil/pearlite/vermiculite mix - I mixed what i had left of that into the compost.

Also, as leda uno is meant to be a slow grower, and I've got a bit of a growing bug now, I've bought a range of other seeds that i'm just starting out now. Am i better off putting these on the windowsill to get started or should i put them straight under the 600w? it's on a programmed 16hour exposure with two 15 min breaks.

thanks guys