Another newb out to murder some MJ

Discussion in 'Marijuana Grow Journals' started by growdontbuy, Jan 17, 2007.

1. ok-so i haven't been smokin for long but long enough to find out that the white mans curse sucks-so after getting every bag of my weed pinched by everybody i tried to buy from i decided to just grow my own. Unfortunately for me i live in a semi-police state (or maybe that is just my parents...i forget sometimes) and so this had to be the most ultra secret tiniest grow ever.

Now this sounds like you average newb grow-right? wrong. I'm crazier than the rest but hopefully not as stupid (although i did start them all off in nice big containers of miracle grow time realese (...yes..i know...i know now!)) anyway-my problem lies in that i can not keep it simple stupid and here are the methods i shall employ to unnecssarily assure the doom of my grow

Space is such that an SOG is really my only option as are fluros for light due to the noise and cost of MH and HPS. Now isnt that complicated enough? hell no-i have no expierence at all growing anything or doing anything electrical and yet i am convinced that LED's are not only the wave of the future but that reasearch must be done by somebody. Situations are such (so told to me from the movers and shakers here on GC that are into the LED scene) that no one can really answer many of the questions about this new lighting technique nor are any of them in any position to experiment. So i will design and build and implement my own LED devices ( did i mention i'm broke as a joke?) to further complicate this grow.

Another thing i was possibly looking at was a SOG technique that involves a net like structure which is placed over the plants at a few weeks into veg-this spreads the branches out and the thing begins to look like a vine as it goes into flowering. I was hoping that with my limited heigth (21") this would be a good way to go -and yes i am well aware of the problems you can run into with males and females and what not gettting intertwined-this grow is more in the name of science and my first grow than in getting wheel-barrows full of weed (besides its just bag midgrade-if it dies it dies) and i can always just rip the males out before they polinate the females-if nothing else i can dry them and see how bad a headache i can get off one bowl.

So i have around 20 very germinated seeds in a soil medium that is just waiting to both stunt and nute burn my plants to failure so i am going tomorrow to get fresh soil and about half of those seeds have broken the surface already and are green and a few have the 2 tiny leaves( i think this is good and means they aren't deceased-lol)

I'm running 4 18" fluros of a wattage i can post tomorrow-my grow box is really an actual shipping box on its side in my closet (did i also mention that i can't use a fan...ever?)
    the box is 21" tall, 18" wide, and 33" long-yes i know i have just given you the dimensions of a commercial growing palace but please stay with me here. I have already discovered and addressed a mold problem (we wont go into that-it was dumb-i now know better-lets just say stick with plastic and glass and stay away from wet cardboard) so i am keeping a close eye on everything-i may not know what i'm looking at but i am looking!

O yea-don't freak out at my plant number-i knew i would screw this up many times so i grew a lot in hopes of having something in the end. If all goes really well i can just plant them in the woods and let the deer enjoy some majical herb.

Any input, advice, or foul language pointed in my general direction would be greatly appreciated and stay tuned-i'm sure i will have newt burned the face of elvis onto a leaf within the next week-thanks in advance and good luck guys

2. dont grow in your parents house without permission dewd, just my 2pence worth

3. Yeah, growing and potentially getting your parents arrested is not good. Dont mean to be rude, but if my kids did that, i'd be pretty annoyed. Either ask them, or get a place of your own where YOU will be solely responsible for any fuck ups. BUT its up to you.

4. dude there gonna find out. i dont care what you do your rooms gonna reek even if not in veg (wich it probably will) but DEF. in flower. no fan? so the smell is just sitting there i definately dont think its a good idea.

5. they will smell it, im 100% sure about that, with no fan it will just build up in that box, then leak in the room, then leak out eventually... u cant stop that without an exhaust with a carbon filter and an airtight box

6. Yeah, If your parents are good enough to let you live with them, you should at least respect their wishes and not be selfish about it. You could always grow outside, get you a phone with GPS or something to remember where shit is and just make it secretive.

7. i couldn't agree more, my parents let me... thats why i do...
    even tho they let me they Still get annoyed...
    i recommend you don't grow in you're house.. untill you move out:wave:

8. hey guys-thanks a lot for the input-ur totally right-i read all of the replies and decided to pull the whole operation-pitch the seedlings and stick all the stuff in a box-tape it up and wait a dew years to crack it open again-so as i was tearing it downi called my friend and he came over and told me to just move it to a mutual friends house cuz his parents don't care-so we finally did-its all set up over there in a safe place- i was worried about them keeping it a secret but they are both so sketched out by the whole thing i'm not worried at all about them telling anybody.

So now that all that is settled the only problem came with moving the plants. I was going to switch the soil and decided to check this thread before i did and saw all these replies. I had already bought a good mix of spaish moss/perilite/ and some other stuff that leaves the soil pH balanced and contains no nutes. I was really afraid to leave my babies in the miracle grow so i pulled out as many as i could find. From my original 20 i found 13 and put them in a cup with moist taoilet paper on the roots. I put a compact fluro 14 watt light on them all night and day and i'll be damned if the things didn't grow a lil bit. They are pretty desperate for life. i broke one before the move and 2 more got snapped as i took them out of the cup they were in. I'm not planning on keeping that many i just want to make sure that even if several die from the super stress of the crazy move i will still have some good ones to pick from.

I'm pretty stoked about this whole thing and feel a lot better after getting them out of my house. Their under 60 watts of fluros a few inches away from them so until i hit flower i think my lights are good. I'm curious about a type of fan though-what do ya'll use? a $10 clip on from walmart really isn't applicable in my situation. Noise is not really an issue and it doesnt need to be big at all. A charcoal scrubber would be nice too and i was wondering where to purchase one/how to make one. I have read that computer fans work well but i'm not too sure how one would wire it since it is far from a plug and blow. Any help and comments on what you use would be great.

thanks guys-good luck

9. http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1261.htm

thats how to wire a pc fan.. u might need a little more light for 10 plants... say 5 live, u will need atleast 200w for veg.. Also, when measuring watts in CFL's, always go by "watts used" not incandesant equivalent

10. Yo man looks good. I will keep an eye on this grow. Good move getting them out of the MG Soil.

11. thanks a lot for the link brazyjay-that is so easy i think even i can do it! and also thanks for the lighting advice-with 3 times as much investment capabilities as i had a few days ago we can probably swing for better lights. Thanks a lot for keepin an eye on me vtec-that means a lot coming from you.

Anyway-so the murder continues. It was cold as hell last night but got kinda warm today which is kind of a problem beccuse the temp in the box was fine last night but this afternoon it was about 100 in the box and a few of my babies had wilted. The leaves were still green but the stalks were a lil brown and very thin and limp. Only 4 of the plants did this and all of them were of different size and in completely random positions in the box-there was no pattern at all to the heat stroke. Perhaps i have eliminated the weak ones and only the strong have survived?...hopefully something like that happened-i cut a few more vent holes and am going to put a fan on it tonight as soon as i can lay hands on one. For now i turned off half the lights (a cloudy day as my friend put it) and lightly watered them all as the soil is still not very moist-especially after the all day bake-a-thon (which is fun for us aparebtly not so much for the plants)-so i guess the question is are they gunna make it? i planned for this but god forbid something esle happens too (it probably will) i would like to have as many spares around as possible until i am pretty confident in my abilities

ok-thanks a lot again guys-and good luck

12. The good news is that underwatering and heat wilt are easily remidied by watering and lowering the heat. Looks like you need more exhaust. Also try having the lights in the grow room off during the hottest part of the day. Indoors, in a house, with insulation, the hottest part of the day is actually a few hours AFTER the hottest time outside.

13. vtec thanks for the vote of confidence-it was a wild weekend and i didn't get to see the kids on sat but isaw them a feww minutes ago-they are really lookin good. They have greened up and perked right up-they are getting a little tall and maybe even spindly but i'm fixing to rig my lights so that will no longer be an issue. I think i lost one for sure and another one still isn't looking back to 100% but i left them both in the dirt an we will see how it goes-i splashed a lil water on them and turmed on one more light. My heat and humidity stabilized around a low of 70 a high of 80 and humidity is anywhere from 45-55 %-i think they are gunna be fine. I still have to rig a fan and the lights but i'm going tuesday at the latest to see about all that.

Thanks a lot for all the help guys-vtec especially-good luck

14. Hey man.
    Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.

15. quick update-i'm trying to do this every few days until i can start gettin pix up-i bought a fan and found a 12v connector laying around my house-so theres my fan for $20-and its kinda overkill for my box so itll be good to go on a bigger box later-i'm gunna wire it later tonight so if you don't hear from me i am probably a crispy critter-one plant is back all the way to give me 9 very healthy growers-and one still has green leaves but the stalk is completely down and pretty brown-the soil is moist so i'll give it some time but one casulty isn't bad-thanks for the support guys-good luck

16. less than once a week for me.. dont got the funding atm lol