Another method for making hash oil

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by stoned budda, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Came across this surfin, Seems pretty easy. I plan on trying it today, i just gotta get some alcohol.

Hash oil:

Materials you'll need:

• A glass jar with a watertight lid (widemouth Mason jars work great)
    • A metal measuring cup with handle (2 cup capacity recommended)
    • Bottle of 190 proof grain alcohol (Everclear brand is perfect)
    • Any quantity of pot, any strength (from a gram up to a few ounces)
    • A 1' X 1' piece of sturdy cloth (t-shirt material works fine)
    • An eye-dropper bottle (contact lens type bottles work great)
    • The use of an ELECTRIC stove and its overhead fan
    Step 1
    You'll first need to grind up your weed as fine as possible. Remove any seeds, they have their own oils which we don't want. Dump the powdered pot into the mason jar and pour in just enough grain alcohol so the weed particles float freely in the mixture. Place the lid securely on the jar and shake a few times.

Let this mixture sit for a few hours, shaking it every once in a while. The alcohol should have turned a dark green color and when shaken should form colorful, oily bubbles on top. Place the sturdy cloth over the metal container and press the cloth down to form a funnel. Carefully pour the contents of the mason jar onto the cloth which is in the metal cup. Make sure to get most of the weed particles out of the jar. Gather up the edges of the cloth and squeeze the remaining liquid out of the lump of weed into the metal cup.

I recommend performing Step 1 a second time immediately after completing it the first time. You should now have a quantity of dark green liquid in your metal measuring cup.

Step 2
    Be sure to use an electric stove in this step! (If you don't have one, read Step 2a)

Take the metal cup containing the green liquid over to the stove. Turn one of the electric eyes on LOW setting and place the metal cup on that burner. I highly suggest using the fan over the stove to remove the alcohol vapors during this entire step. Watch the liquid closely. It should only boil slightly, never raise the burner temperature above MEDIUM LOW. We need the liquid to cook down until it's slightly thick. This may take some time but be patient.
    Once the liquid starts to thicken and turn darker, remove it from the heat. Never let it get too thick or it'll be too difficult to work with. If you do accidentally make it too thick, just add a small quantity of the grain alcohol to the metal cup and swirl it around till it's thinner.
    Let it cool down to room temperature inside the metal cup. It should be runny enough to be poured into the eye-dropper bottle easily. You now have your final product: THC oil. It's necessary to have some grain alcohol left in the resulting liquid so it's easy to work with. This will not affect the potency of the oil.
    Step 2a

This part is for the people with gas stoves. Do not use a gas stove to cook down alcohol! The vapors will explode! You'll have to have patience to complete this step. To get a final product just put the metal container in a place where it won't be disturbed. The alcohol will have to evaporate on its own. If at all possible keep it in a slightly warm area with decent ventilation. It may take days.
    Once it's evaporated test to see if it's too thick. If it is, pour a small amount of grain alcohol in the metal cup and mix. Pour the liquid into your eye-dropper bottle.
    Smoking Instructions

(NOTE: When smoking this oil in any form, do not let it come into direct contact with a flame. That destroys much of the THC and defeats the purpose of this whole project.)
    You have the oil in the eye-dropper bottle and you're ready to smoke some? Clean up your mess first. You don't want to have to explain why a rag of wet marijuana is lying on the kitchen table do you? Wash out the jar, the metal cup, and throw away the cloth. Throw away the weed too, it's useless. Use a water/alcohol mixture to wash out the jar and cup.
    Materials you'll need for smoking:

A 5" X 5" piece of aluminum foil
    A Bic pen tube (take out all the stuff until it's hollow)
    A stationary flame source (a butane torch works best, but you can use a candle, lighter, etc.)
    The THC oil in the eye-dropper bottle

Make a "spoon" out of the aluminum foil. This takes some practice but you'll get a design that works. Put 6-8 drops of the oil into the "spoon" and hold it about 4" over the flame. It should begin to boil slightly. Don't let it get too close to the flame just yet. It'll cook down and turn very dark brown and begin to make crackling sounds. Now you should lower the spoon so the THC is directly over the flame. The spoon is still face up, we're just really putting the heat to it. Hold the Bic pen tube about 1" above the dark brown area and inhale through the tube. You'll see a white smoke come up from the dark area, this is vaporized THC. Once you have a lungfull, remove the spoon from the flame. You'll feel the effects almost instantly. Exhale and place the spoon back over the flame and inhale again.

Once you've smoked what's in the spoon, put a few more drops in and repeat as many times as you want. On occasion I've smoked so much at one time that all I could do was lay on the floor with a stupid look on my face. Also, I've noticed I get a bad case of "cotton mouth," it's normal.
    If you're a smoker, you can put a few drops into a cigarette, let it dry, and feel free to catch a buzz without the smell.

2. Hash oil should only be made with a non-polar solvent such as butane or hexane (or for something like this, isopropyl alcohol)...using grain alcohols will leach too much chlorophyl/plant sugar/other foreign matter into the oil and result in poor flavor and a sticky texture

3. hey hey thats the old dangerous method..did that for years ..it sucks... home made Bumble bees are the shit if you want honey.

4. This recipe seems good to me simply because of the heat applied to the mixture. Doesn't that greatly help potency? Decarboxylating or something?