another grow box idea

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by cephaliccarnage, Jun 25, 2008.

1. alright so in my downstairs living room there is a huge desk that isnt being used for anything, my dad wanted me to use it in my room for my computer or whatever but i decided not to. and now that i want to grow, i am thinking this desk could be perfect
    1st pic=front view of the desk
    2nd=ghetto lock system, two hooks screwed in the the lock goes through..it works fine, and unless you really tried you would need the key to open it. this will be my computer desk, i will probably put it in my closet and if people ask what the lock is i will say i put that on there so i could hide stuff in there, but then i lost the key so it is stuck on there..
    3rd=the open cabinet, it is pretty large, 27 in tall. 23in deep and about 19 1/2 inches wide...about 12 inches fromt he bottom to the shelf, and about 14 inches from the shelf to the top.
    4th=the three drawers right next to the cabinet, this is very convinient imo..
    5th=the gap inside the cabinet that leads to the drawers.

alright, now i have a few questions.

1.would this cabinet be big enough, im plannin on just keeping 1 or 2 mother plants on the top shelf and 1 or 2 clones on the bottom...i would try to grow them to be bushy and short.

2.should i remove the shelf? i can, but it is stuck in there so unless i force it out, it is staying in there.

3.i was thinking about somehow using the drawers to vent the growbox, because i would like to keep this thing as close as i can to how it is now. would this work?

okay so here are my plans, i am not done planning this out but i have some ideas.

wire the lights through the back probably, i wanna try to get most of the wiring to go through the back if possible.
    then i would like to have a fan on each side of the bottom and one on each side of the top (bottom and top referring to under and above the shelf) or maybe to air it out i could open the drawers once a day or so..
    i would like to do hydroponics, it seems interesting and sounds like it produces good results faster than soil growth. i wanna line it with mylar, and put tape or something to cover the few cracks there are.
    i realize this will be costly, but i think it would be way way worth it. i am about to start looking for a job and then i will jsut start saving up most of my money.

two concerns i have though....i will only be living here for another year or two depending on how soon i realize what i wanna do with my life.. so it would suck if all that money went to waste and when i moved i couldnt really use it at my new residence...what do you guys think about that? would it really be a waste or could i still bring them with me somehow.

second and last concern, this is a nice cabinet, which although is in no use now it could be used in the future. if i use this cabinet though it will most definately have to have holes and parts cut out/motified etc... so i would feel bad if i ended up destroying this cabinet just so i could grow marijuana for a couple years tops out of it

Attached Files:

2. So, from what I read you want to have 2 grow compartments? One 14" high and another 12" high? Gonna be a challenge, not saying it can't be done but will be a bit rough, would have to do some serious training... especially for a newer grower... Gotta figure in hight for the light above the plants and hight below the plants for the pot/res. Not saying it can't be done but it would be rough.

I would think the better thing would be to take the shelf out, use that as one grow chamber, then take all the drawers out and cut the face off the cabinet and use the face of the drawers, glue it all up and make a 2nd chamber but with the dummy drawers on the face so it looks unmodified. Also Instead of putting 2 exhaust holes and 2 intake holes on different sides, I learned the hard way, put a few intake holes next to each other towards the bottom of one side of the cabinet, then put a few or one larger hole towards the op on the other side of the cabinet. Install one decent powered fan right on the exhaust hole, and when you flip it on it will suck air into the intake holes, no two fans needed.

What kind of lights are you planning on using? That makes a big difference in planning when it comes to temps. HID will result in much faster plant growth but higher temps, they tend to be more expensive also. Fluorescents will grow a plant but alot slower, might not get the yields you would with a HID also but it will keep temps down, either way in a decent cabinet you need some ventilation.

Im not a very experienced grower but I have pretty good building skills and have read tons of cabinet designs. Good luck bro...

3. How would your parents react if they found their cabinet turned into a grow cab? If everythings cool, I'd say go for it. You can always take most of the parts/equipment with you when you move out to either use them on a new cab or sell. Instead of wiring all your lights through the back of your cab, just buy a power bar and wire that through the back, that way you only have 1 wire coming out and you can just plug everything into that.

I would say take the shelf out and just have 1 grow chamber for starters. Keep your drawers there to put supplies in etc. Hydro can also be expensive for a new grower. Depending on what you use, a bubblebucket also takes up more vertical space then lets say a pot with soil in it. If its your first time growing, you'll have your hands full just getting your cab finished and keeping your plant healthy in soil. Soil might take a little longer to grow but for the most part i hear that it usually tastes better than hyge so thats a bonus. GL with your project man, plan on spending more than your target budget and be patient with it.. your bound to run into issues here and there.

TiCkEr

4. thanks..oh shit i totally forgot that i would also need lights under the shelf, yeah i think i will take out the shelf and just grow the moms in there...and i would take the drawers out no problem...if i would be using this cabinet after i move out. because i dont wanna totally demolish this cabinet and leave it all fucked up for my dad or whoever else found a use for it later.
    oh shit ha i forgot to add what light i was planning on using, i am strongly considering fluorescents because i understand that they use less electricity and like you said arent as hot. those seem ideal because i want to use little electricity if possible, and that would keep the heat down also. yes they woudl grow slower, but i figure that if i do end up using hydroponics like i plan, it wouldnt be such a huge deal.

thanks for the help man

5. yeah my dad isnt all for it but i am going to try to talk him into letting me smoke soon...if he says yes ill see what he thinks about me growin a plant or two for personal use, if he says no then i jsut wont ask about him lettin me grow.

oh so your sayin i can just put a power bar and put it IN the cabinet? i can do that? hell yeah haha

6. bump
    bump bump

7. My friend just got kicked out of his house for growing without his rentals permission. I waited and it wasn't that bad. I do not wanna see another person get fucked when it's not worth it.