Another First Grow Thread...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by OG Bobby Johnson, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I'm starting my first grow soon and I just have a few questions. :hello:

I purchased a hydroponic grow box. I got it for a decent price on eBay. Nothing ridiculously overpriced like the Cash Crop from dealzer. My problem is, I didn't notice that the system (I guess you'd call it that) was a clear basin. What do you guys think would be the most effective way to cover it up so the roots aren't exposed to so much light? Duct tape?

Here are the lights I'm planning on getting for my Northern Lights Autoflowering seeds:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/TCP-300W-Equivalent-Soft-White-2700k-Twister-CFL-Light-Bulb-28968RP/100676712

Three 68-watt CFLs. Would these be pretty decent to start out with? I have about $100, give or take, left over to spend on lighting and Co2. If you know of something better, let me know please!

Once I get started I'll make sure I get some pictures and post progress.

Peace! :bongin:

2. Any comments guys?

Was doing some more reading earlier. Would it be more beneficial to run two 2700k bulbs and one 6500k? 

3. Don't worry about the colour temperatures too much, just get as much light in there as possible. Don't spend money on co2, if you are growing with small CFLs then the plant's metabolism won't be fast enough to deplete the co2 already present in the air. I use black/white reflective plastic sheeting available from all hydro stores to light proof the reservoir

4. Those lights look ok. I find you need a minimum of 60 watts per square foot of area, but 100w per square foot is a good figure

5. Hm, didn't know that. Thanks!

6. #6 OG Bobby Johnson, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
    You have any experience with LEDs? After my first grow with this, I'm planning on trying out a 180w LED to see how they compare.

Also how much wattage should you have before using co2?

7. In my opinion you need to have everything spot on for added co2 to have any effect. I would always recommend spending the co2 equipment money on better ventilation, this will give your plants more of the co2 that is already in the air. Plus the better the ventilation the more lighting you can use. This will have a far greater effect than any amount of co2.

If you do add co2 you need to shut off all ventilation to stop it being immediately being vented out. This means you will have to somehow deal with the heat, cool tube or AC will be needed, and possibly a dehumidifier as well.

If everything is spot on adding co2 will make a difference but in my opinion the cost of it isn't justified because you would be better off spending it on other things.

I don't have any first hand experience with LED lighting. What I do know is diodes under 3w aren't worth using, and the rated watts will be around double what it actually uses. So if you want an LED to have comparable light to other types of lighting you need to take that in to consideration. The heat comes from the back instead of in the direction of the plants so they have their advantages, but taking the cost of the units I think CFLs still come out on top. I mean, you could spend £200 on a small LED light but imagine how many CFLs you could buy for that. And HID lighting is far better for the price

8. Thanks for the info  :smoke: