Another evil of Walmart..

Discussion in 'General' started by Mantikore, Jan 1, 2015.

1. So I doubt there is much love for Walmart.. I'm not a fan, but I'm not really a fan of corporations to begin with. With there being one within walking distance and me not having a car, it's kind of a necessary evil for me right now..

A few years ago I was buying stuff and I noticed that buying in bulk actually cost you more. Looked at other stuff in the section and it was all the same.. thought that was weird, but whatever. A few weeks later, same section.. but buying in bulk saved you money. Then I get to another section, and buying in bulk cost you more. Granted it more of a 'buyer beware' thing.. they pick out a section every week or so and make the bulk items more expensive. They know most people have this mindset "bulk saves you money" and they typically want to get in and get out.. just a dirty, yet typical, ploy to suck money out of their customers. At first I thought I was just being paranoid, but then I did some searching and found this: http://dougroyal.com/is-it-worth-it-buying-bulk-at-walmart/

So now, well a few days ago, I saw another "error". At first I thought it was just an honest mistake.. and it very well might be, but I found 2 price tags that had the wrong price per ounce. For a specific example if anyone is curious to see if it's like that at your Walmart.. 4 pack cans of tuna. They were all 20 ounce packages, but the most expensive brand happened to have a "mistake" saying it was 24 ounces on the tag. So that lowered the price per ounce and actually made it look like it was the cheapest buy.. for people that shop by the price per ounce that is, which a lot of people do.

I let it go at first, but then I was getting some dried mangoes.. love me some dried mangoes. Well there were only 2 brands.. and once again, the most expensive one had the wrong number of ounces. It was an 8 ounce package and the price tag was marked for 9 ounces. The other package was 6 ounces and marked for 6.. but since the 8 ounce package looked cheaper from the price per ounce, I was buying them and never even noticed. Not only that, I found 2 mistakes and it just so happened to be one things I was looking for.. who knows what else is like this.

So I pointed it out to a manager.. he looked disturbed by it. Like he didn't like it and wasn't really surprised, but was couldn't actually do shit about it. He said he'd have to tell corporate cause that wouldn't be a mistake on the store level. Seeing as it was a "mistake" from corporate, I can't help but feel it was intentional.. and irks me cause I was duped. Made me almost want to report them.. but I'll wait to see if it gets fixed soon first. So look at this like a rant and a warning if you shop there.. and feel free to talk all sorts of shit on Walmart.

2. I think people at Wal-Mart don't really care about making shopping there a better experience. They just have low prices and are so huge that most people kinda have to go there. Unless alot more people start giving them shit they're probably not gonna do anything because they make so much money as is.

3. I took a $120 bait caster and switched the price tag with a little kids $10 pole and went through self check out

Not to get racist but my local Walmart is almost solely run by Haitians, so you can do whatever the fuck you want

4. Those have alarms

5. Did you know the 6 heirs of Walmart are worth 144.7 BILLION dollars. They have more wealth than 50% of the American population combined.(150 million people) It's why I will always support my local family owned businesses not matter the cost difference, Walmart can suck a bag of dicks

6. I don't even remember the last time I went to Walmart. I live in an urban area luckily and not some small podunk town with a Waffle House McDonalds and Walmart...so I have options. If I have to go to a Walmart-esque store it will be Target...which is not massively better but it is better. Not as trashy either. I will gladly spend a few extra bucks on products if it means not giving that money to Walmart. 

7. #7 Deleted member 745666, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    I work at Walmart...
    And I hate it with a flaming passion that could never be extinguished!

8. what's ur address I wanna stop by and give you a hug for this brilliant idea

9. Yea watched a thing on discovery about that family,
    They have a state of the art bunker at the family home.

Im all for getting on in life, and being comfortable but the wealth of some individuals is fucking obscene.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. #10 AS420, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    I try to never step foot in a Walmart.

Fuck that place.

11. #11 SlightlyStonedSD, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    I love saving money so I shop at Walmart. Thanks for the heads up I'll keep an eye out and report back if I see anything.

edit: never fresh groceries though

12. My wife used to do this with clothes at other stores! I told her I'm going to laugh my ass off if I ever end up having to bail her out of jail because she got caught switching tags on clothes.

Love how everybody hates Walmart yet so many of us still go there :laughing:

Step one: convince people it's cheaper to always buy in bulk. Step two: make shit actually more expensive in bulk. I've seen this at Walmart as well as some smaller grocery stores as well. Shitty that the sizes are falsely labeled though :eek: all the more reason to double check things ourselves I suppose. And avoid the ones who do so when possible. Though I doubt other large chains are exactly morally superior to Walmart, Walmart is just so huge. True family businesses are becoming fewer and far between, particularly regarding groceries and general household products. I used to go to a general store very close to my house, but they recently went out of business :( I'm hoping new owners will snatch it up. For now, it's nothing but Dollar General and a gas station, or on to the next town....

13. I only go there if I really need to.

It doesn't really matter if you do or don't since the reason they have lower prices is because of government subsidies which comes from taxes, which all of you pay.

14. I just don't like supporting Walmart because of how shitty they treat their employees.

15. They employ and help more people than any other corporation, on top of paying more than minimum wage and mostly promote within the company.

People love to hate Walmart. It's the fun band wagon to jump on. Makes people feel like they're activists.

16. they would give their employees extra hours but not enough to qualify for overtime and also have terrible benefits. There's a reason no one likes working at Walmart. Sure most corporations are pretty bad but Walmart is one of the worst imo. They also open massive fucking mega stores and are always moving from one big building to an even bigger one. That's why they have a bunch of abandoned walmarts all over. They don't need to use all that land.

So no, I'm not jumping on a bandwagon, I just don't support corporations that are dick licks to their employs and try to shop at local businesses. I don't shop at hobby lobby because of their "religious rights" that allow them not to insure woman's health and contraception. Am I jumping the bandwagon on this one too? Lol ffs

17. Took a couple photos yesterday.. It's one my way home from work, so I think I am going to stop in and see how long it takes to get corrected.. if it ever does.

[​IMG]
    Not sure if that 07/30/14 date was the date the tag was printed.. but as you can see it's wrong. If they went with 8 ounces like they should of, it would make it 66 cents per ounce.

[​IMG]
    Now the tuna, I don't buy this kind of tuna.. just happened to notice it when I was getting tuna. I am more peeved over the mangoes cause I am a 'price per unit' shopper and it duped me :(

You should look and see if these prices are messed up at yours.

18. I love Walmart. No matter if I am in Texas, miss, la, okohoma, Alabama, tenn, it don't matter, there is a Walmart at every stop on the interstate. They are always there. They always have for the most part the same stuff, all the stores layout are generally the same...I know what to expect and what not to expect. Plus if you have a receipt you can borrow and return almoat anything

What I hate about Walmart????? The employes who make crappy pay and work slow. And I hate when I go at 3am and it is closed

19. The reason they tell you when your growing up to get an education is so you don't have to work at a minimum wage job like Walmart and mcds.
    There is a reason why it is a miminum wage job. If all of the employees at Walmart got an extra dollar an hour rise you will get higher prices or you will get less employes to help customers which hurts the consumer in the end
    The reason why Walmart is yielding a bigger store is because their current facility is no longer able to deal with
    A-the extra customers
    B-they need extra space for extra stock and extra items a smaller stores can not handle
    C-don't you think they must be doing something right if their old store is to small?

Yea sure Walmart is evil.
    But someone said that you gotta be against something so your life will have meaning. And Walmart is one of those convenient things to be against.

20. what if someone's getting an education and has to get a minimum wage job to support themselves through college? College is expensive enough as it is. And don't try to tell me raising the minimum wage will result in higher prices because that is totally bullshit. 8.25 an hour is not a livable wage and it sure as hell won't pay through college. And companies like Walmart can afford to pay their employees more with the kind of profit margin they're pulling. Also, idk if you've ever walked into a Walmart before, but they are way bigger than they need to be. Like three times bigger than jewel osco. That's a crazy misuse of land filled with useless junk.

We can agree to disagree, but I don't think it's fair to say I'm against Walmart because "it's popular to be." Im against Walmart because obviously the moral values of the company don't line up with mine and that's a decision I came to all by myself thank you very much