Another DIY Carbon Scrubber For less than $40!!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by kushman2020, May 3, 2009.

1. How is it not?

Activated carbon will generally need to be replaced 1-2 years, depending on your particular environment (such as how many grows you do per year and how many plants). You'll know when the smell gets stronger and stronger...

2. Works for me. I use it:D

I've heard that it should be replaced every few months. I'm just gonna gauge it by how the room smells when I walk into it:D

3. I think that's what depending on use means. Not all of these are made exactly the same and how much work it needs to do affects it too.
    I'm glad they can last up to a year or two chances are this will last me awhile in a small grow.

4. Would this carbon scrubber work sitting sideways instead of hanging down? (as in the panty hose end will be going left to right)

5. Yes it would! I originally had my design set up like that. But I modified it for erroneous reasons. There is a way to do it though. You have to put panty hose on both sides of the filter so carbon doesn't spill out the open end.

And after you make the filter, you will need to suspend it sideways one way or another. A few suggestions on how to do this:

A hose clamp taken apart and screwed down.
    A simple nail or screw under the filter so it can't swing down
    PVC glue on the elbow (I don't recommend this because it cant really come apart)

6. Ah ok, you see im actually planning a stealth grow.. inside of a suitcase :cool:. It sounds bizarre, but Ive figured it all out, and its going to work.
    So just to make sure I get what your saying... fill the filter all the way up with the carbon, instead of part of the way, then put panty hose on each end, and then tape the elbow over the panty hose? if thats correct, then will the air still be able to get through the carbon?

7. Yes that should work. I assuming there is a fan included in this setup?

8. Beautiful man!!! Thanks for posting, super helpful!!!

9. Yes there is going to be a fan xD Thank you for the help +rep

10. Thanks man. What size fan are you using?

11. Im not entirely sure yet, probably whatever pc fan I can find thats silent

12. 120mm case fans work well. Look for ball bearing/double ball bearing models. Those are the quietest

13. Thanks for the advice Kush :D I bookmarked the link from HighMtnSkier, so thanks for that too. I think I might get two (for intake and exhaust), however.. I still need to buy the suitcase lol... I havent found one thats suitable yet.

14. look on craigslist in the free section. You might find one there

15. Damn man, thats actually a reall good idea, I was thinking of second hand stores, but craiglist is also a really good idea :D thanks for the tip man.

16. Anytime dude. If you need help designing anything else, just hit me up. I seem to have a knack for it.

I always made fun of my father for the shit he built. For instance, he built a motorcycle carrier that goes into a Class 3 hitch, with built in turn signals. Now I realize that I have that same "build stupid useful shit" gene. Guess it runs in the family:rolleyes:

17. Haha thats pretty funny man xD But yeah man if I have any troubles with it Ill knock =p

18. #59 wackdeafboy, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2009
    Awesome!

But instead of duck tape, Use GORILLA TAPE. That shit is so sticky, thicker, stronger and it's waterproof. :D

[​IMG]

19. Haha if I had some in stock I would have certainly used it