Another DIY Carbon Scrubber For less than $40!!

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by kushman2020, May 3, 2009.

1. great tutorial +rep

I may have to give this a try when i start my first grow

2. Thanks man. I'd be happy to help you design one suited to your needs

3. Kushman, I should have asked before, what type of fans can I use with this inside the box? I was hoping to use computer fans but that may not be enough to pull through the filter. Someone else on here has 2 pc fans inline, would that provide enough pull or is something bigger needed?
    Thanks in advance!

4. I have 150w of CFL light in my box, and one 120mm computer fan. That's it. If you have the room, you can get a cheap 4 inch inline ducting fan, which will provide WAY more pull (or push, technically). But my temps are solid mid-high 70's with that one fan. I don't know if stacking 2 fans would increase airflow. In theory, it would work though. Double the fan, double the airflow

5. Nice work with the quick answer, pity I can't give you more rep yet.
    I only plan (at this time) to have approx 150w CFL as well so the one computer fan should work perfect, if the temps are too high the 2nd fan can always be added.

6. Heres a tip:

Make sure the container is in an open air area. I had my box in my closet, and always kept the door closed to hide everything. The temps got into the high 80s from that because the closet trapped the heat. I kept the door open a few inches and fresh air circulated in as heat escaped.:smoking::smoking:

7. I don't plan on having it in a closet but we'll see what happens come setup time. my problem for location is the pc will be ok in the basement or my room, but the wood cabinet will be too big for a closet and this large box will seem out of place if I'm not opening it for storage (cds, various cords, tools etc) I need to think of an excuse of what it is for when people ask. The garage would be better but I think the temp may vary more, especially between night and day.
    I never asked, can you smell anything with your filter?

8. Well as for the cabinet, temps will stay consistent if it doesn't get hot. My temps shot way up when we had that heat wave, but some simple air conditioning would fix that.

With the filter on, the only thing I can smell is an ever so slight odor next to the filter. It really doesn't get much past that. Like I said, small grow.

9. Well that means your filter kicks ass if you can't smell much except when your that close.
    The garage is probably a better location for keeping nosey people away, but I don't know how the temps will work, the basement will be more consistant but will be visible hopefully people don't mess with my stuff.
    I think I'm going to do more planning, I need to go on vacation so either I get the grow moving so I can harvest before my trip or I get set to grow when I return. Be nice to come home from vacation to my own bud though....
    Either way I'm sure your filter idea will be a part of it, and will be essential to the stealth aspect that I'm going for.

10. My system can self sustain itself for three days. How long is your vacation? And the box is ok in the basement as long as its in an inconspicuous spot

11. Kushman the vacation is for about a month so I know I can leave the plants for that long, but if I start soon I should have one harvest done. Nobclnes I guess. Well see this is all plannin
    And I don't think the wife will like the idea so it may take convincing.

12. would this setup work with a computer fan that puts out 19cfm in a 20 cf grow box runnig a 400w HID light

13. With a ducting fan maybe. A computer fan would not be able to compensate for that light without some type of air conditioning

14. So this is way to much light for my PC fan?? :(

15. very nice design man, def give ya props!

16. Yea man that light will rip that fan to shreds pretty much.

The design will still work. You just need to substitute the PC fan for an inline. I'd recommend at least a six incher

17. Not a bad little setup brotha!

18. Thanks dude

19. Hows that DIY carbon filter?

20. How often do you have to replace the filtering material. I am in the stages of planning and designing a 8ft long 8ft high 3.5 ft wide grow box and dig the filter design will have to use it. Thanks for the idea!