another "clay soil" question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by lawschool2012, May 25, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide whether to plant in the ground or in 15-20 gallon pots. I have read and read posts about clay soil and whether or not to plant in it. I have Googled the issue as well; however, I'm find myself at a standstill. I would like to plant in the ground. If so, I will dig 2x2x2 holes and back-fill with my own mix (pro-mix, castings, azomite, perlite, etc.). Yet, I'm afraid that if I plant in the ground I will get root rot due to the clay not draining well (it's red clay so it's not as bad as the gray clay). I want to plant in the ground for three reasons: 1) the roots stay cooler, 2) less watering, and 3) I don't want helicopters or airplanes spotting the containers (this is the most important reason).

If I pour water in a 1 foot hole in the clay soil it will drain in about 12 hours or so. So, I was thinking of adding 2-3" of gravel in the bottom of the holes, though I'm not sure if this will work or not (will the roots stop when they reach the gravel?). Furthermore, I have read that our favorite type of plant has more horizontal growth as opposed to vertical growth. How true is this?

I have also read to dig deep holes with a mound of dirt or some sort of obstruction in the middle of the hole to keep the root mass from sitting in water and perhaps adding gravel to the edges within the bottom of the hole.

Please give me your input. I have thought and thought about this for 2 months.

Thank you in advance.

-LS

2. how hot does it get where you are? That could be the deciding factor, over 100F and low humidity, plant in the ground. Under 100F and medium to high humidity and you may want to consider pots. It's possible either way though.

3. I've been gardening with all sorts of plants for year, Yes I am new with Medical MAry JAne, But I do understand the plant jsut as well as most other plants now. The tap root will dig it's way down, and it will break up the soil after time but not much. Your best bet would be to make the holes bigger and break it all up add in some Organic soil conditioner that will break up the clay. Don't put rocks, I know that rocks will build up salt and other numerous things. The ground will be good, It is a weed after all :p

You ever see tree roots breaking through the cement? Imagine what your plants roots will do to the clay. hope i helped :p I believe mother nature can take care of her self very well. If nothing made sense pm me, I'm not sober atm.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I go guerilla in Red Clay. I amend my soil with earthworm castings, horse manure compost, mushroom compost, potting soil, pulverized lime, bone meal and Alfafa meal, and Sphagnum Peat Moss. And I place a handfull of egg shells and water chrystals under each root ball. This works for me all of my plants are 1.5-2.5ft tall now and looking very vigorous. Make sure you use a lot of Peat Moss as it will aerate your soil a lot and help change the structure. But Peat is acidic so don't forget to use some pulverized lime. Mix it all in with your native soil and you will be ok.

• Like Like x 1