Annoying spyware virus.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Sharktooth777, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Can anyone help me with this? I'll give the situational rundown here.

There's this annoying virus type thing, reminds me of Virtumonde, honestly. It's on my computer and it slows everything down, won't let me access certain pages, redirects me to different pages, and constantly brings up pop-ups. I look in my task manager and see a whole bunch of random .exe processes running, and in-particular, IEXPLORE.exe. Now, this refers to Internet Explorer, correct?

I don't use Internet Explorer. Ever. But yet this program is always popping up in my processes list, constantly, using upwards of 40,000 K of memory. Whenever it pops up, an ad shows up.

I've run scans with four different programs several times, none of them get rid of this stupid thing.

Anyone have some help for me?

2. ha what was i thinking... of course its windows!

yeah just reinstall windows?

3. Which programs did you use to scan for this thing? It definitely sounds like an infection.

4. I used Avira Antivirus, Malwarebytes Anti Malware, and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Downloading Trojan Remover now, thanks for the help, I'll try this out and see if I can get rid of this thing.

5. Theres this program that looks for rootkits and scans them, I can't think of the program name off the top of my head atm

6. Make sure your in safe mode when you scan/remove though

7. very very important. If the antivirus program cant get rid of it, it may at least tell you its location so you can manually delete it in safe mode

8. Check your hosts and lmhosts files. These files are used to supplement/override DNS. They're located in this folder:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

This is typically where viruses will make changes to prevent you from getting to certain websites by linking a different IP address to the domain name.

9. so, was it virtumonde or not? have you gotten it fixed yet?

10. superantispyware it is a must have for malware removal.

they have a free version but if you want to get real time protection you can buy it but i just use the free version.

SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloading File

Edit: Sorry for posting if you already got this fixed didnt look at the date on the original post.

11. you know ive noticed.

if you dont install/download anti-virus/spyware/adware, you dont get them.

all it takes is smart browsing.

i havent had anti anything on my comp since 2002 and i have NEVER had one single virus/spyware/adware problem. Even with the occasional pr0n browsing. Just gotta be smart about it.

12. I download a lot of torrents and I would rather be safe than sorry.

13. Ok first of if my PC was as infected as yours sounds I wouldn't even bother trying to rid it of viruses and malware, I would just reformat, it's almost always quicker than trying to clean a severely infected PC. If you don't know how to reformat your hard drive then let me know ant ill write a tutorial in my next reply.
    If you can't or don't want to reformat then there is a great piece of free software you can try called “Ultimate Boot CD for Windows” you can download the boot CD maker software at www.ubcd4win.com and that software with your original windows disk makes a boot CD for you, there should be full instructions on their site. You can also just grab an already made ubcd4win.iso from my website, I'm uploading it for you right now, if it works it will be at www.howtogrowbud.com/UBCD4WIN/UBCD4Win.zip it's a disk image (.iso) so all you have to do is burn it to a CD restart your computer and it should boot up. You can burn image files to disk with nero or magic iso.
    What UBCD4Win does is boot up your PC from there windows like operating system that is completely on disk and independent of your regular windows operating system and it has lots of malware removal tools that if your connected to the internet through LAN will automatically update and will be able to completely scan your system with out the windows engine running.
    Using a regular Malware removal tool is kind of like trying to clean your cars engine without shutting it off.
    I hope all this makes sense, if not let me know I'll try and explain better.
    Reformatting is your best bet but UBCD4Win is a computer tech secret tool and gets many positive results and it really easy to use regardless of how good I explained it.
    I hope this was helpful. Please check out my web site www.howtogrowbud.com it's a marijuana oriented site but I have a tech section I just started with some computer tutorials “potheads need computer help too” Enjoy