Annoyed with the word "Dope"

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mark32092002, May 4, 2009.

1. lol, everytime my dad expects im high or something he will call weed dope, it pisses me off sooo much he acts like its fucking heroin, anyone else every get mad when there parents are like you been smoking dope?

2. No, cause most of the time they say that it IS heroin :)

3. No. My parents can call the drugs I do whatever they want, it's only a sound used to describe an object or idea. Words are basically meaningless.

4. it's just the slang man.... my dad always calls it Dope when we talk about it.... but that's what they called it back in the day, it was their slang not ours.

i just shake my head and laugh at him when he says it..

peace,
    Hippy

5. That was the slang for it back in the 70's and 80's. Why would that annoy you?

Slang changes. In 20 years, kids will laugh at terms like 'beasters'.

6. i wish beasters were extinct :p

7. yeah, my dad does the same thing. and my mom calls it pot. i fucking hate the word dope, my dad has no fuckin idea how inaccurate the information hes getting is. he honestly thinks weed is worse than meth, hes actually said that to me. no lie..

8. haha its so funny you said that....
    just last night my dad kept saying "dope" and i kept thinking like

"wow thats just so annoying to me that he calls it dope"

but then i just think well hes just calling it the name he knows, what he
    used to go by

9. Meaningless sounds, that invoke emotion.

Dope is DEFINITELY a derrogatory term for cannabis, as is marihuana.

Words carry a stigma to them.

10. lol i never got this one either.

11. wat i dont like bout it is in this area it makes bud look worse. wat we call dope round here is often nose candy or shards. nd i get confused when some people tell me they got some good dope nd i show up cuz im doing my 4 times a year habit for a weekend or week. nd they just have bud.

12. hmmmm ic

13. mehh, when used properly, words carry/convey alot of emotion and/or meaning IMO.

If someone is talking to you and the words have no emotion or meaning, you loose the entire purpose of communication.

On another note, i think it has alot to do with generational gaps. Slang terms change drastically over time; pot, reefer, dope, and doobies turn into variations of weed, buds, chronic, dro, etc.

14. hahaha... dope. i think thats 1 of the more negative sounding names. i usually say bud, green, or just plain weed. if i use any other term around my friends, they prolly wouldnt know wut i was talkin bout.:p

15. #15 Zebras, May 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
    I agree completely, my dad always called it "smokin' dope" like if he called me and I sounded high he'd just get all "Ya smokin dope? Huh?" God damn its annoying. Also, weed makes it sound kinda dirty. I just prefer to call it like, green or bud.

16. Well, really dope is just a word for all drugs. I agree though most commonly it would be heroin that's called dope. A lot of people just call it dope, which I just find really stupid.

17. ya i think thats why people get so pissed off at the word because its bunched in with drugs 10x worse then weed.

18. Fair enough.

19. When i was in a car that got pulled over, the cop smelt the bud and kept on asking, "WHERES THE DOPE?!??" over and over it pissed me off lol

20. lol yea I think I had a cop do that to. They lovee that word, those are the ones who you know are big dorks.