Annoyed that my girlfriend is going vegan...

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by NeRDxARCHON, Feb 12, 2014.

1. This plan only works once the child is educated enough to make his own decisions. Until then, you two have the responsibility of getting the child healthy and adequate nutrition. Don't worry so much about the baby though, more than likely, the two of you won't have a baby together before it all goes to shit anyways.

You mistake zeal for not being "chill." 

No, there haven't been any meat-free cultures throughout history. And veganism is a whole lot different than vegetarianism because veganism excludes high-nutrient animal foods like eggs, fish and dairy. 

There has only been 1 semi-veggie culture - Hindus.

And Hindus aren't vegetarians. They only don't eat cows, because the cow is sacred in Hinduism. Most Hindus still consume goat, lamb and poultry if it's available to them. 

3. It took me 30 seconds on Google to conclude that you are wrong. There have been plenty of meat-free cultures. Not to mention, we are talking about one right now.

So what if vegans exclude eggs, fish, and dairy? You shouldn't drink/eat dairy anyways. Eggs and fish are easy to replace in your diet.

4. I don't trust people that don't eat meat. No exceptions.

5. Eggs and fish are extremely healthy for you. Why would you replace them?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. Well if we are talking about vegans...

What are you talking about vegans stop menstruating? I was vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for 2 and never once stopped menstruating and currently I'd say about 60% of my friends are vegan and not one menstruating vegan i know has stopped menstruating from a vegan diet.

8. I would just be as supportive as possible. Becoming a vegan is a big step, and can be harmful if you don't eat enough varieties of food with necessary nutrients. So maybe help her research all that good stuff. Also recognize that you can disagree, but respect her choice. It's her body and she should be able to put whatever she wants in it. And if you come across a person who pushes their lifestyle on you, just tell them you're happy with what you do now, and ask them to please stop. Simple as that :) good luck! Hope you don't stay too annoyed.

9. Meat eaters getting very defensive it's funny. And pulling claims out of their asses also! We need meat is BS can easily live without it, and btw the grocery store is a .0001% of the edible plant life out there. For me it's a spiritually journey, I can tell many of you are attached to your material selves and egos. That will cause much pain. The lightness my body gains (both through karma and physically) is worth 1000x more than any muscle mass I would build up through meat.

" At work I come across it all the time. I have a friend who apologies to me every time she bites into an animal sandwich saying 'I know its wrong dont judge me'.

And the 'I eat Vegetarian 3 times a week ' is also familiar to me. (fish, eggs, are not vegetarian because they are not fucking plants)

I think we make them uncomfortable and squirmy because we are a physical representation of conscience ! "

Oh and there is a more hardcore version of veganism that has been practiced for 1000 of years in india region , only eating from plants their fruit , and when you pick the plant it must not die, so no root plants like onions and others like that, so beans tree fruit stuff like that, and you keep the garden alive (this way of life is much easier practiced in the tropics where you can grow your plants year round)

10. #70 Aliakai, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014

Not all vegans are that way. I'm a vegetarian personally, so I have some experience with this. If you don't want her to talk about it with you, make your boundaries clear. That said, if she doesn't feel like cooking meat, handling animal products, etc for you, you are going to need to accept that.

Remember that vegan food isn't terrible...in fact, if you eat it with her you may come to like it. Veganism for her will be a full lifestyle, and you may need to be conscious about gifts and such you get for her. She will get healthier and possibly lose weight, so that's a plus for you. And as she goes through the challenge of going veg, you guys will get to experience many important moments in her growth together, deepening your bond. I hope that helps, and if you have any questions feel free to pm. I'm not vegan, I'm ovo-lacto, but I have PLENTY of friends who are. ^^

EDIT: I wanted to add that she should pick up the book "Going Vegan" and that if she didn't have it, it would make a great gift from you. It's an in-depth look at vegan nutrition and how to stay healthy on a vegan diet. I have the one for just "vegetarians".

11. G/F is a vegetarian, and she doesn't give me any shit for eating meat. But a vegan ... that would suck more than anything.

Save the 'holier than thou' attitude please lol...

13. ive actually never met anybody who was 'in your face vegan'.

i mean i get what your saying sort of, like if you put a steak in front of a vegan/vegetarian, they usually have something to say about it, but ive never had anyone actually bring it up in convo

sources: sister and BF are vegans hardcore, met a couple 'vegetarians'

14. and then this asshole ruins my whole post ftw

15. a picky vegan needs supplements, otherwise you really can get every bit of nutrients you need without meat.

counter to what everybody is saying, and i am meat eatin mother fucker, but things like steak are bad for you, even free range cattle is bad for a human. being vegan is healthier in every way

but it sucks dick, and is really expensive. 

Actually, you'd be surprised. I actually cut my food bills in half when I went veg. It only costs a ton if you try to eat identically to the way you did before, just with veggie "meats". Honestly, I eat almost all whole foods and track my nutrition, and have never had to take supplements to get the nutrients I need. It's easy enough to do if you do a little research, plant foods are packed with nutrition and generally cheaper. Just because you're veg doesn't mean you need to buy organic, for example. And if you have a yard growing food will save you a ton of money too. Beans are WAY cheaper per pound dried than meat. So is tofu and tempeh, and you can make those at home. The only thing you might need to supplement is B12, and even then you can get it from 2 cups a day of fortified soymilk.

17. Watch Vegucated. It's on netflix. I think it will make you understand the lifestyle a LOT better. It's so so so worth your time, not a boring documentary either!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Update: she caved. She's a vegetarian now but every now and then, she gets stoned and eats meat. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. Yeah, just relax. No need to get all worked up about what she eats or doesn't eat.

You don't like vegans who whine and act superior and try to make you be a vegan, but if she isn't doing those things, you need to chill.

20. Just tell her why you have a problem with vegans (Ex: They are all up in your face, they try to 'convert' you or whatever else is bothering you about them)

If she doesn't act like that, there should be no problem with her going vegan.
    You respect her decision of not eating meat, and she should respect your decision to eat meat!