Annihilation Gamma Ray Laser

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Felt, Feb 21, 2011.

1. #1 Felt, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
    Physicists build bigger 'bottles' of antimatter to unlock nature's secrets

:eek:

Kinda figured most would be drawn in by the title

2. maybe the title discouraged some people!:poke:

3. First thought after reading: Asteroid protection!:cool:

4. death rays and annihilation beams.

laser guns..

5. Now why would they go and hint that this could be used as some sort of weapon. This kind of stuff is like the iPod, the US will want the next gen version so they can show off to their friends to piss them off, just like teenagers.

6. #7 Felt, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2011
    i think they use "annihilation" in the context of the laser being able to destroy matter on the atomic level. in the article, the hydrogen antimatter coming in contact with with regular hydrogen molecules causes an 'annihilation' of these particles.

i thought matter couldn't be created or destroyed?!

EDIT: annihilation, as defined by physics, is the conversion of particles and antiparticles into something else.
    Annihilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hm, didn't quite understand the other meaning of the word when i first read the article.pretty cool heh

the title just about has all those names heh

7. E = mc^2

8. Mass

"Modern theory holds that neither mass nor energy may be destroyed, but only moved from one location to another. In physics, mass must be differentiated from matter, a more poorly defined idea in the physical sciences.

Matter, when seen as certain types of particles, can be created and destroyed, but the precursors and products of such reactions retain both the original mass and energy, both of which remain unchanged (conserved) throughout the process.."

s'all theory:smoke: