Animals.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TheAtmansPath, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Does the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness apply to them? Do they have rights at all?

Do they indeed have rights endowed upon them by their creator?

How can we live in cooperation with them, without infringing on their rights?

Is it murder to hunt for sport and not need?

Now, I am not suggesting no one kill animals. we need them for food and other uses, and im not pushing some vegetarian hippy philosophy. I support killing for uses, but i don't think i support killing for killing's sake. However, if someone kicks their dog, is that domestic abuse? should it be?

how far does this right go? to mammals and fishes? rodents and frogs? to little insects?

is it moral to own an animal, to purchase an animal?

Is it moral to buy an animal and then train it to obey your every command?

These are the questions that have been floating around my head. I think politics is a good place to post this because it is about the rights of a group, and I know you guys will have some solid answers.

What do you all think about animals and their relations to natural rights?

2. Yes and no. Animals should not be tortured or murdered. But hunting is not murder thats overkill and eating meat is not murder either. I am a huge animal lover, I've had many cats and dogs have worked at animal shelters excettera. My animals are like family to me and are very spoiled. Unfortunately a Border Patrol agent moved in next door and murdered three of my cats. The Police won't do a thing because he is a Federal Agent. I got so close to killing that guy you would not believe. But Texas has the death penalty and it would be obvious who killed him but if he ever steps onto my property he is going to get blown away and justice will be served.

3. I'm not sure about natural rights, but I do consider hunting for sport to be morally wrong. I have no problem with killing for food, but to kill for sport and take enjoyment in that killing is baffling to me. I consider it a primitive practice that we will evolve past eventually.

4. I have a question about what you guys mean when you say hunting for sport. Do you consider hunting for deer killing the deer and eating the deer even though you could go to walmart and buy a steak hunting for sport? Or do you consider hunting for sport killing coyotes for fun or something?

5. I mean killing it and not eating it.

6. Pssshfft ok what should we start enrolling them in public schools to?

They have the right to remain tastey and thats it!

7. animals are here for our entertainment and/or food..

the only rights they have is to feed and entertain us.

8. Humans have brains that trick us into believing we aren't animals, in fact we are animals and should treat all other animals with decency and respect for all of nature.

Nothing has 'rights' bestowed upon them, we collectively form and change our morals as times change.

9. I believe we should never kill animals other than for self-defense.

Vegetarian diets are healthier and easier to sustain as it is. Earth's ecosystem relies on bio-diversity, and if we don't let it progress, then we will suffer.

/inb4 i eat every animal you dont etc.

10. haha I love Texas.

Lived there for 6 years.
    Best gun laws ever ;)

11. difficult to answer.

if you havent heard of koko, pretty crazy.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxCM6llL60&feature=related]Koko Responds to a Sad Movie - YouTube[/ame]

our empathy can get in the way of our reasoning, and our reasoning can get in the way of our empathy.

insects however, arent a whole lot smarter then plants... so fuck em, japanese bug fights ftw.

12. Quoted for amazing video.

13. If we were to suddenly have some sort of eleviated state of consciousness that animals were parallel to humans and stop eating them, where the fuck would we get a good source of protein.

14. Mostly agree. But its not a simple issue. Shooting a pigeon and not eating it is not some travesty. But shooting a dog or a cat is unacceptable. But even then I'd shoot my basset hound if a truck ran her over and she was laying in the street body destroyed dying and in great pain. I would sob like a baby but I would do it.

15. Another thing is sometimes animal rights lobbying groups have really screwed things up for animals by not thinking through what the laws they propose mean. For example my Dad lives in California he has two sweet pit bulls they wouldn't hurt a fly. Because a couple years ago one crazy pit bull attacked and killed somebodies dog these "animal lovers" decided to create all these stupid regulations regarding pit bulls. So one day a guy jumps into my dads yard trying to steal something most likely. The pitbulls come running at him and chased him away and didn't touch him. Later he reports that he was bitten by one of the pitbulls after my Dad chewed him out for coming on his property. The police come take the dogs and extort hundreds of dollars out of my father so that he can save them from being put down. Now a judge has required that the dogs have to stay in a kennel for most of the day. How fucked up is that? All because people don't fucking think before they write or support legislation.

16. Yes the issue is very nuanced. Not only the situation but the intent and motivation of the person come into play along with many other variables. That's why I'd never make a law or anything involving animal rights, that I feel has too much potential to infringe on human rights, and I believe human individual liberty and prosperity to be of utmost importance.

17. You are on a forum for Cannabis and are asking this. Hemp, among many other things contain high amounts of protein. I am not a vegetarian but there are other sources of proteins.

18. Hemp seeds!

19. Are you serious I have never heard that before. But ok what eating hemp seads give you protein?

20. Beans and Nuts

You shouldn't just kill an animal cuz you want a target to shoot at. It's just a sad part of reality that we're on top of the food chain...but not that sad. Meat is delicious but it would we a whole lot different if we all had to do the killing ourselves