Android Weed Scale

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by mrnobody194, Feb 10, 2012.

1. How do y'all expect it to work?

Ur phone is not a scale guys

2. i downloaded one for my iphone for free....the thing is awful....said my nickel (coin) weighed .51 grams twice, 1.25 once, and .98 g another.....anyone know of a good one for apple????

3. Most people would assume the middle of the touch screen would become the scale, but we all know that's not possible.

This app actually uses an elaborate balancing act in combination with the phones accelerometer.

4. Idk man i tried using one of these and it didnt work at all.

5. im the new one, but i do not have anything in common with thise app developer/company/ or any connections with thise app.
    I just thought it may be helpful. I read about thise app in net before i put i=this info on thise forum.

6. That is not how you spell this, app doesnt work, tried it.

7. lol. The phone's accelerometer? You mean the thing in the device that measures how fast it is moving, in coordination with the GPS. You expect us to believe that can be at all sensitive enough to detect grams of a flower being placed on the screen?

Even if you threw it at the screen at 5mph, it will not be able to register the force at all to determine a weight. It is not sensitive enough. It is built to track how fast a car is moving.

Get out of here with this lame ass advertising, spamming the Android market with utter BS and these forums with your app.

8. As has been said, there is no pressure sensor in an Android. What you have is basically either on or off, there's no in between. Ergo, it cannot function as a scale.
    The only thing I can think of that could possibly give the illusion would be having the weight rise as more of the screen is filled with objects (e.g weed), however I don't know if it's even possible to press different parts of the screen at the same time?
    Either way, it still wouldn't actually be weighing anything.

9. it is not my fault if u dont understand how it works, i dont blame u ,most people dont.
    But it is not a reason to accuse me and being unpolite.

10. it is not about pressing in its mean. is about the angle of depression as i wrote before.

11. Doesn't make a difference.
    It's either 0 or 1. No variables.

12. Quit trolling us. We have enough spam here.

13. downloading it right now :) it seems amazing if your somewhere without ur scale

14. This thread is fucked

15. mail your budz to me, I will weigh them for you for free:D

16. I made a sick new app for droid, you can find out the pH of liquids. Just turn on the app and put the phone in the liquid. Also you will need an electric current of some sort passing through the liquid while your phones still submerged in the liquid. There are a few things you can use, but a hair dryer will work. Plug it in, turn it on, and stick it in the liquid, which will cause a reaction to the molecules and will seperate them. There will be a color on your screen which and you'll be like WTF just a colored screen? Dont worry then you have to save the color code and put it into another app that will then find out how acidic or basic it is. it is not my fault if u dont understand how it works, i dont blame u ,most people dont.
    But it is not a reason to accuse me and being unpolite.

17. [quote name='"Asianpeter4"']I made a sick new app for droid, you can find out the pH of liquids. Just turn on the app and put the phone in the liquid. Also you will need an electric current of some sort passing through the liquid while your phones still submerged in the liquid. There are a few things you can use, but a hair dryer will work. Plug it in, turn it on, and stick it in the liquid, which will cause a reaction to the molecules and will seperate them. There will be a color on your screen which and you'll be like WTF just a colored screen? Dont worry then you have to save the color code and put it into another app that will then find out how acidic or basic it is. it is not my fault if u dont understand how it works, i dont blame u ,most people dont.
    But it is not a reason to accuse me and being unpolite.[/quote]

Tried it found out the PH of my water is 7! Highly recommend this app

18. I've lurked this site for info a few times.
    Just ran across this thread and after I read through it I am disappointed in how many ignorant people are posting. I am personally a software developer and would like to clear up a few misconceptions that I have read here.
    This is strictly because I don't like ignorance.

First of all, an accelerometer does not measure how fast you are moving with respect to gps. An accelerometer is a sensitive device that measures the ACCELERATION of your phone by acting as an intricate, small scale. Accelerometers in phones are what would tell if your phone is on its side or its back as well as many other things. Do you really think that to switch between portrait and landscape mode, your phone has to consult a gps system?

In this case the accelerometer is just being used to find out which way gravity is pointing with respect to your phone.
    When you put your phone on the bag it gives it a somewhat free-moving service to lay on. You put the coin on the phone and the accelerometer will measure how much the phone's pitch has changed compared to the estimated weight of a coin.
    Now when you put weed on after calibrating, the idea is that you should be able to create a relation between the new pitch and the pitch of the phone with just a coin on it. Theoretically, this relationship can be used to calculate the weight of the added weed.

You people saying that it is an impossible concept are either ignorant to the android operating system or the function of an accelerometer.

Now as to why it actually DOESN'T work, you will need to understand some concepts of physics.
    When the phone is on an inflated bag and you place something on it's screen, the weight of that object is effectively applying a TORQUE to the system.
    Torque is proportional to
    the force exerted on an object
    the distance between the that force and the pivot point (this case the center of the phone)
    and the sine function of the direction of the force and the object

Because of it's dependency on the distance from the pivot point, if you don't keep the spot that you place the weed on EXACTLY where the coin was in calibration, it will cause a problem.
    Because the screen of a phone is smooth and almost frictionless, the weed will slide, changing the distance which will cause problems.
    Because the phone is a non-uniform 2d service, the pitch will not act the same as more weight is added.
    Lastly, because a non-uniform bag filled with air doesn't compress uniformly for all weights there will be problems.

The app works as a proof of concept. This is possible to accomplish, but in the current design they use, it is far too inaccurate and unreliable to be used in any situation involving money.

Anyways, I just posted all of this because the original poster should not be accused of trolling and I dislike ignorance.
    Knowledge is power :wave:

19. No it's a piece of shit.

Novelty at best.