And yet you eat meat?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by esseff, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Good point.

Because until we find a more compassionate way of producing food universally, I will honour the animal that has been killed by eating all of it, wasting as little as possible. I will eat the ears, the tail, the cock and balls; all those bits we never see on our plates that are made into the cheapest products. If we kill them then we must honour them by using all of them, and like the indigenous people, do it with compassion and take only what we need.

But I take your point though. Fruit, the nut and seed, naturally tasty, so easy to eat and so nutritious, and with hemp in our diet too, nutritionally there’s no need to eat meat at all. But many of the remotest people could not survive without meat. So it cannot be a rule.

I eat nuts, seeds, dried fruit, fresh fruit, and some days it is all I eat, but some days I eat meat.

I have looked at the desire eating meat creates; its flavour keeps me coming back for more as the taste of barbecue or bacon is very enticing.

Yet in my ancient tradition the pig and other animals are not eaten, many rules about what can and can’t be consumed, how they must be killed, even what plates it can be served on. So without letting someone tell me what to eat, it comes down to my own awareness and understanding.

We seem to be moving towards a more compassionate society by eating meat that which has been cared for properly and killed humanely. But I would never kill a Gorilla so that I might feel full, and yet I accept other sentient life as fine for my plate.

Ultimately there is no difference; it's all in the mind, and change is a process. And while there are many who live just fine without eating anything that doesn’t come from the land, animals do too. The animal is evolving with us, by being in contact with us, having its rights considered, and so there is nothing to invalidate as we move towards a more conscious way of doing it.

If food was eaten solely for the nutrition it brings and not just for the pleasure it gives, we might change a lot, and yet in a sense nothing has to change. Only we do.

2. It's interesting that the 3 main organised religions don't have much to say on vegetarianism. Probably because back in the day the idea of not eating meat wasn't really considered. People who are poor and hungry don't have the luxury of principles.

Is it 'spiritual' to consider the rights of animals? It seems to be healthier to eat mostly vegetables, but whether there is an ethical or spiritual reason for letting go of it must be up to the individual. But there are some compelling arguments for and against.

I have tried to let go of meat a few times, and for a while it's ok. And I get the idea that animals are sentient, emotional, intelligent creatures, and yet the natural world has no problem eating them. Should we?

I mean if we have access to rice, bread, vegetables, beans, dairy/eggs (a separate debate on those), then we can eat just fine without killing. Some consider eating fish a good compromise on the road to letting go of animal stuff. I get that.

Personally, I struggle with the evangelical preaching of some born-again vegetarians, who effectively make their lifestyle choice into a religion. To live this way requires a similar approach I think. Maybe I'm just not ready for that. I can go long periods without eating any one type of food, but like the fact that I feel free to do so the next time I have the choice. Do I like certain farming practices? No. Do I want to see a more compassionate approach never mind the increase in costs? Yes. They have managed this in the UK. America...it's your turn!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. What are your thoughts on cannibalism?

4. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. The 7th Day Adventist has a Health Message and promotes a vegetarian diet.

6. #6 BrewsnWeed666, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LOVE it! Various forms of BBQ, especially! Smoked brisket, Tenderloin seared quickly to seal in the taste, Garlic and wine pork loin marinade, etc, etc, etc.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Baaar Beeee Quueeee. :yay:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lol

I'm not surprised some faction does. Many veggies out there.

9. I have a theory.
    Parasites control most people, fasting will starve them out.
    When you starve the Goa'uld then you will find your true self, your true form and what form of nourishment works best for you. Many people can thrive without meat or animal products in this day and age but others still have a lot hard-wired conditioning/programming and evolutionary steps to take.

I believe human species are originally designed for plants as they are almost identical inside and out to primates and nothing like carnivore animals and less like omnivores but we seem to adapted to a lifestyle of mostly animal products and even though we did okay until now there shows great potential and evolution in health once people go plant-based but it can take a decade or more to reverse engineer our bodies back to its natural design.

I believe its 12 years until the body is fully regenerated every cell. You are what you eat at the end of the day.
    Personally i tried every diet, i felt best on fruits/berries only but struggled to ground myself in the modern life.

Find what works best for you.

• Like Like x 2
  10. India used to practice specific diets for certain groups of people: warriors, soldiers could eat spicy foods, meat, tobacco, coffee, alcohol for energy and vigor
    priests, yogis would mostly eat a plain vegetarian diet banning almost all spicy foods, no intoxicants or stimulants

Today, one can choose what foods to ingest that agrees with their belief system. If they are interested in spiritual development and practice, a simple diet is easier on the digestive system. Most Buddhist monks are meat eaters actually.

Personally, I think people worry and stress far too much about what they eat & count calories, weigh their food, analyzing it too much. Most of the world is hungry every day, so we can be grateful for actually having food & cultivate a healthier state of mind

• Like Like x 3
  11. Personal experience:
    tried vegetarian for a while, lost a lot of weight quickly,(not good, already very skinny genetics) felt crappy most of the time, dark bags under eyes, pale, hard to keep up with physical working on a farm at the time.

Vegetarian diet is ideal when one is doing yoga, meditation practice, but not while doing physical labour type jobs, construction, weight lifting, boxing that kinda thing. The monks ate lunch at noon and then nothing else (water, tea is okay) until the next day

Today I eat ketogenic- no carbs, high fat, high protein and periodic fasting (only eat between 12pm-7pm). The real killers are processed sugar, corn syrup, processed meats, aspartame, preservatives, Round Up and other chemicals sprayed on the veggies or in the soil. Most of what's for sale in a grocery store is not actually food.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. No carbs? That's not one I would want to choose lol. Rice, pasta, bagels, Mmmm...

It's healthier I'm sure, but what's your reason for eliminating them?

I agree that if you're burning a lot of calories, then a high fat, high protein diet sounds about right.

It's a shame that so much of modern life's food is full of crap, but then it's important people are sick a lot...helps ensure the medical profession and big Pharma keep earning the big bucks.

13. There is some interesting science behind the ketogenic diet, if you decide to look into it I would go straight to the actual researchers.

I like eating meat, but I eat just about everything. I output a lot of energy for work and I am already slim and burn calories by doing nothing. I tried a Ketogenic diet but couldn't consume enough calories to sustian my weight.

When I buy meat or eggs or milk, I do try to get products that are more considerate of the animal as a being. Not only is Grassfed cow healthier for me, i think supporting cows/chickens etc, being more free is important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. @NorseMythology A lot of the success with almost any diet these days has to do with simplicity. If we feed our body similarly every day it will thrive much better because it doesn't have to deal with complexity, it adapts to what it gets on a day to day basis and knows how to utilize everything efficiently. When we use far too much variety of different foods/herbs/spices ect.. that's where our body is constantly at work.
    Simplicity allows the body to work and rest at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  15. There are better documentaries but this is a good start, there's too much crap they spray on wheat and veggies, it is in the soil like Round Up

Healthy fats are nothing to be afraid of & keep our body burning it for hours and hours. Like the Native Americans who would eat dried jerky or chew on seal blubber while hunting out on the ice all day.

16. Sure, which is avoided by choosing organic produce only.
    Nothing wrong with good fat. Jerky made the old fashioned way is great.

17. It is unbelievable roundup or any of that shit is used.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Disappointing for sure. It's all about profit. Making sure to bring in maximum yield.
    Organic is still somewhat of a premium, but if people stopped buying things covered in chemical pesticides, it wouldn't take long for farming practices to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. It doesn’t even make sense to grow any other way BUT organically - organic gardening/farming requires less water, much much less in the way of pesticides and can require ZERO fertilizers - the food is healthier, better looking etc etc etc -

I don’t personally get it. I don’t fertilize, spray pesticides, Hell - I don’t even water after initial planting due to the sheer amount of thick thick mulch I use -

After I plant I watch, yank the occasional weed and then harvest - absurdly tasty food.

We grow a lot of food at my house - organic gardening is so much easier as well. It doesn’t make sense to me.

J

20. Well, you know something about this, and yet we have to assume that if non-organic producers keep these practices alive it must be because they believe it is in their interests to do so.

There are a lot of things done that are not in the best interests of the planet, or the people, but coming out of greed and profit. It's almost impossible to imagine where we might be as humans if we did things solely with the idea of what would be best for us as a whole.

Hemp, for example, remains illegal or controlled in many places, and yet it grows many times faster than trees and is perfect for making paper. Yet the paper industry is powerful, and one voice helping to keep it down. Never mind plastic, clothes, feed, building materials, etc. The list goes on. Instead of ensuring the finest and best ideas are what we practice, much time and effort is spent holding things back if it doesn't increase the profits of existing companies used to doing it the old way.

Obviously this is not going to change anytime soon, and really indicates the insanity that we live in.

We are so much better than that, and yet it must look to anyone looking in, like we are ignorant, selfish, greedy, savages. No wonder ET keeps his distance!

• Like Like x 1