And the Award for America's Worst Father Goes to...

Discussion in 'General' started by AK Infinity, Apr 29, 2007.

1. <OBJECT height=350 width=425>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BxwD4UGnJjc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></OBJECT>

A Baldwin goes ballistic!

How do you blades feel about this? I have a daughter and I couldn't even in my most wild imagination ever think of speaking to her like Baldwin did to his. I realize that custody battles can be very brutal, but don't the adults involved have an obligation to make them as painless for their children as possible?

IMHO he should be denied vistation until he consents to be under the care of a therapist, period.

2. The worst part was, he came back and apologized.

I don't have kids, but my dad was pissed because no father does that to his daughter, regardless of circumstances.. not something like "oops sorry for knocking over glass of wine and staining your carpet" (his words)

3. Hirlarious all the filthy rich celebrities and such are falling apart. Don Imus, Britney Spears, Rosie O' Donnel, Donald Trumph. I love it! Really hateful words though, I'd slap the shit out of the guy if I was his father.

4. The really surreal moment came on the first leg of his apology tour when he went on The View and was comforted by Rosie O'Donnell of all people. Is this what bad public behavior has been reduced to, a long series of "I'm so sorry," on a variety of talk shows? How the hell to you apologize publicly for being a prick privately? I seriously don't get that one.

5. I would never speak this way to my 12 year old daughter under any circumstance, What an Ass. If I ever have kids and act this way I hope someones slaps me in the face.

6. No, the preatcher of the Westburo Babtist church is.

7. First of all i dont think theres any reason for something like this to be publicly broadcasted for millions to see. Second, theres really no excuse for speaking to any child like that let alone your own flesh and blood but i can see why he would be so angry. The man (from what i've heard) has tried and tried again to get close to his daughter but the mother has got the girl brainwashed.

8. most actors arent stable, and defenitaly dont make a smooth transition into parenthood.

9. I've taken worse. Look, nobody is perfect. I know we all love to bash the celebrities, but they're human and they fuck up. I've gotten in to fights with my Dad, and I still consider him a great father. I forgave him for his fuck ups, and he's forgiven me for mine. We should stop focusing on shit like this, at least he hasn't hit her.

Hell, I hate Baldwin. But I'm always upfront with issues, despite personal disagreement.

10. You've got a point there bro, Fred Phelps was one sick puppy. Instead of preaching about the universal inclusion of God's love, that guy took it upon himself to be God and therefore judge others even more harshly.

You sort of have a point, but try to think of how a child should be treated. It's sad when children are used like pawns between the adults, but that's all they are, little helpless pawns. They have neither the experience nor judgment to fully comprehend their own actions, that's why they have parents to raise them. When a parent breaks a sacred trust of love and respect the child has very little hope of sorting all that out when they are so young and the potential harm that it does.

Alec is probably going through a lot with his ex but IMHO he doesn't have the right to make his child the brunt of his rage under any circumstances.

We have no idea if he's hit her or not, and based on the phone message it doesn't seem like a response that is out of the realm of his parenting skills. It's only natural to judge celebrities when they're paraded around on our television and movie screens. People can't even go shopping without seeing a million magazines about celebrity gossip and dirt.

You chose to forgive your father for whatever ills that passed between you, but not everyone can slough off bad experiences in the same way. Sometimes people require years of therapy to recover from psychological and or physical abuse. If only we could all look at situations like this, but we can't, the world simply doesn't work that way. All parents should understand that our young are a sacred trust given to us for a short period of time and the same respect we demand from them is the same respect we should give in return. They represent what will be around after we are long dead.

What do we wish to instill in their minds and hearts, I ask yet again, our hopes or our fears?

11. To be honest, my opinion on this might be a bit skewed because of my upbringing, but I wasn't shocked to hear what he said. Like someone else said

And I have, much much worse. So no, I can't say he's America's worst father. My own father is in the running for that, and he's a finalist.

I'm not saying what Alec said was ok, or that he should be comforted, not at all. I don't have an 11 year old of my own, but that's a very hard age. Kids that age can really suck sometimes and it's hard not to lash back at them when they hurt your feelings. But I don't know what Alec and his daughter are like behind closed doors, and neither does anyone else here. I really don't think that voice mail should have been made public in the first place.

12. I wish that was the worst parent in the world, I really do. If that was the worst thing a parent could say or do then this world would be a much better place. But unfortunately it's not, and as bad as that may sound because he is a celeb and because we are listening out of context, it really isn't all that bad. Hurtful, yes, disrespectful, yes, but certainly not the worst I've seen or been through with my parents and parents I have seen or known.

hmm... i should have just pulled a double quote from hemp and anti-hero...

13. Interesting, I had a terrible upbringing myself which is why I've arrived at the conclusions I have. It's taken me years to work through a lot of the pain and hurt I was subjected to at the hands my parents. Even though I'm happy beyond all reason to be alive, truth is, they should have never had any children period. Simply because our species has the ability to reproduce doesn't mean that we should sometimes. The years of pain I've had to endure could have been better utilized for the greater good. I was their child but they treated me like I was the enemy, pathetic.

Eleven is a difficult age, making it all the more important for adults to be patient and kind to their children. It can be hard not to respond in kind when a child lashes out but think about what's ultimately at stake.

I called him the "worst" to illustrate a point about conduct that is accepted as normal. It's a sad commentary on society when abuse is treated like adolescent acne and horrible behavior is almost applauded. Imagine if people simply accepted the status quo and never aimed for anything better? We can all do better, because good parenting is a skill not a given.

"As adults, we must ask more of our children than they know how to ask of themselves. What can we do to foster their open-hearted hopefulness, engage their need to collaborate, be an incentive to utilize their natural competency and compassion...show them ways they can connect, reach out, weave themselves into the web of relationships that is called community."

~Dawna Markova~

14. I remember when my parents first split when I was in 4th grade. They actually sat me down infront of them and "made" me choose who I wanted to live with.

...talk about pressure. Still don't really talk to them. :)

15. And it takes practice, practice, practice. :p It takes all of my willpower sometimes not to strike my son when he's throwing a tantrum or hitting me, but I've made a commitment to myself to never spank him and I've stuck to it so far. But man, it is hard sometimes.

I feel the same about my parents. Neither of them deserved one child, let alone the three they got.

Holy crap! That's way too young to ask such a question of a child.

16. Exactly, my parents aborted my older brother. Then, they decided to keep my two younger brothers and I. I KNOW that I was mistake. I was told that many times during drunken tirades of my father.

I mean, if you don't have the means of taking care of a child or help out his future (the purpose of a parent), then why the hell have the fuckin' kids that you can't even take care of and end up resenting?

17. Coming from a kid who doesn't know her father and has a step father, among other close family members of divorce, I know how terrible and ugly custody battles can be and get, and it's like he just snapped.

Of course no child should be talked to like that, but the reality is, kids are. I'm sure the words that he said to his daughter were more or less directed at his ex wife.

I don't think he should be apologizing in public, he needs to go talk to his daughter in private, I'm sure it's hard enough having a famous father, let alone having every fight/problem televised.

There are tons of worse fathers out there, and trust me I KNOW them, but yet most of the time no one deals with those situations, I personally don't care what celebrities and their families do, maybe if we all stopped caring and just let them do what they will in their private lives, they wouldn't all be so messed up right now.

I've been through so much worse in my life, honestly life's a bitch get a helmet.

18. ....or, trying having your drunken father have a loaded and cocked shotgun on your chest at 3:30 in the morning. NOW, that will mess you up.

I remember that, just praying in my head that I wouldn't die. It was weird, my door being kicked open, me thrown against the wall, and having someone incoherent just rambling on and on...yea, Alec has nothing on my father. :)

19. I think all the therapy makes it worse for certain people, why go back and relive and talk about bad things in the past, someone out there, no matter HOW bad you may think your situation is, has it worse. And that's exactly what I think about whenever I'm feeling low.

I mean hell, my mom got pregnant with me and at the very idea of me being born, my dad took off to Florida to start a new family with a new woman, and never said one word to me since, I just learned his name a few years ago, I know I was the reason for my parent's divorce, the reason my older sister didn't have a father, the reason why we were homeless for a period of time. For all the shit I went through, I just tell myself when I have kids I'm going to make an amazing life for them, and that makes me feel better about anything that's happened.

No family is perfect, but forgiveness and letting go of stuff does help, I know because I dwell on everything in my past. Personally, I think the kids who went through hell as children become stronger adults with better coping skills.

20. Exactly, practice makes perfect. I've also made a similar commitment not to strike my daughter or verbally abuse her. When she was younger that was hard as hell to do, but now that she's growing into a kind, thoughtful, and overall good person I'm glad I stuck to it.