Ancient HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Deleted member 958974, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Hey all, I'm still pretty new to this. I have a girl under 4 t8's and in 5 week of flowering it's not really cutting it.

Was given these ballasts from a family member who has moved away and I have not a clue where to start.

There's two of them

One 1000watt (smaller one)

One 250watt (bigger one)

Does anyone have any information on these, how to set them up etc? I really appreciate it.[​IMG] [​IMG]

And the second one,

[​IMG][​IMG]

I tried looking up the models and the year but nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I mean, you could use them. They're just old magnetic set-ups (magnetic ballasts are something that will rarely fail you, and if it does; it's easy as fuck to fix).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Well wait that's awesome then! I just didn't know if there was any risk because how old they are. The second one also has an odd socket that I'm not sure what to do with haha.

4. Get a 400 watt hps bulb and put it in the 250 ballast

5. Just set them up and let them run for a while and see what happens.

Don't stick a 400w bulb in there, like he says.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah I didn't plan too. Thanks for the help though I appreciate it. I'm able to look up specs on magnetic ballasts now.

7. Why not? A 400 watt bulb run on a 250 watt ballast would work great.

I am using a 600 watt mh bulb on a 400 watt ballast right now and it's brighter than the 400 watt bulb was.

8. sounds like piss poor advice to me .

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah I haven't even used a ballast yet and I'm already pretty sure that's how you blow bulbs.

10. Think what you want, to each their own I guess

11. If you put a 250 watt bulb on a 400 watt ballast it would blow, but not the other way around...... I mean come on kids it's pretty basic and you led guys do it all the time. You under drive your bulbs and they last longer.

12. Honestly man, I thought you were trying to troll me. Why not just get a 600w bulb?

13. You probably could , but they cost more.

14. I also don't use led. I'm a beginner and have only ventured into standalone cfl and t8 tubes.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just not getting the weight I want.

15. defo piss poor advice, I have an omega digital ballast that has 250-400-600 and super lumens used the 250w for my veg as advices by the seller but also stressed to remind to change the setting when I was putting the 400/600 builb in or it would blow

16. A higher watt bulb run in a lower watt ballast will not blow the bulb. Its the same thing as a dimmable ballast

17. Soz I meant changing the setting too 400 wile the 250 build was in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Or having the 400 setting on with the 250 builb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk