Anarchy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Buddy Dink, Apr 16, 2009.

1. I would like, if everyone would, it explained to me why anarchy would never work. What makes it bad? What makes it impossible to "implement"? Please include any negative thoughts you have against anarchy. Thank you!

2. People like to travel, you cannot realistically do so unless you have private property rights by law. Otherwise we'd be, like, nomadic...

Once a small community buys into some form of protection (Seven Samurai) to defend their property they aren't really anarchists anymore.

3. I wish.

It would be very therapeutic for me to get all the murder, raping, and pillaging out of my system.

Speaking of which... that's a very nice jacket you have there....

4. It may start with Anarchy but it will end up being a smarter person leading people that are more simple with physical power telling others that have something to contribute to the group that they will have protection if they join and do what is asked of them..... So it would work for 0.1 seconds then would be some kind of leadership shortly after. Not all areas would be like this there may be different types of leadership in different areas.

One of my friends think there is going to be some craziness coming soon. He thinks Obama is going to end up calling Marshall Law and all types of stuff is going to pop off he said he is just going to go camping up north rather than dealing with it " X military person that is now a FFL dealer" I don't know what I would do in this case.

I don't like are goverment but don't know enough about it to say how to fix it short of wiping it out and trying again.

5. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I can't tell you why it won't work but this ^ is the longest word in the english language.

6. lol I like that answer the best lol.

7. because there are, have always been and always will be people who do not want to be free. something you posted that i've heard a dozen times before is the pigs and free corn story, but the moral is different than i think you think it is. the moral that anarchists perceive is that we should seize our liberties back from the oppressive trapper who's giving us free food only to mislead and control us. but the moral i get from it is that people will never learn not to fall for this, and for this reason, there will always be some form of organization.

this is something weird i just thought of.. in nature, every system becomes less and less organized, with more and more entropy. the universe and everything else will eventually break down into nothingness. but it seems like that is impossible with human society because every time order is broken down, it will only be formed again. sorry if that's unrelated, but you know how an epiphany is when you're high. you just wanna share :smoke:

8. You don't believe that people could figure this one out on their own? People can live without government in every aspect, but require law to respect private property rights? Why is that the case?

People act only in accordance with their own wishes, with or without government. I assume you don't murder, rape, or pillage now. Would that really change in the absence of government? I'm sorry, I didn't know the only thing stopping you from raping someone was the fact that someone is telling you not to.

It isn't unrelated, I'm glad you brought it up. I see it slightly differently, though. I see a world in which government causes disorganization, and anarchy causes organization. Every attempt at government has been a failure. According to Wikipedia, the human race developed full behavioral modernity 50,000 years ago. That gives us 40,000 of freedom according to me, because the agricultural revolution changed everything, and that happened 10,000 years ago. Before the availability of surplus goods, no one had the opportunity to mooch. They had to hunt or they would die. With surplus brought on by the agricultural revolution, people had the opportunity to mooch, and so organized religion and government were born.

9. If there was anarchy nothing would get done. Somebody would get injured and the chances are that no one will be there to help them. The reason why communism won't work is the same with anarchy: the human mind.

10. The human mind can't work in cooperation with one another? The absence of government doesn't mean the absence of material possession or material value. People will still desire the feeling of achievement. I guess I also was unaware that the only reason hospitals exist is because of the government, not because they can help people.

11. #13 safariari, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
    You're assuming every man's morals are the same.

Man only looks out for himself. What is best for me may infringe upon what someone else believes is best for them. Therein lies a reason for an arbitrator, which we call government.

12. Not that they couldn't achieve and sustain anarchy, but that they wouldn't prefer it because there are too many psychotics and desperate people in our over populated world.

I only assume that by anarchy you include the part where the prior system of government collapses and a huge portion of the population cannot take care of themselves and instinctively would resort to crime.

If there was a drastic population decrease then sure, there could be anarchy.

Humans aren't evolved enough?

13. I don't know what portion of human history has you convinced that humans are not destructive beings, at least in some regard.

14. If you were to follow sound logic, nothing that you do that infringes upon the rights of others could possibly be best for you. Understanding the fact that man acts in accordance with his own wishes, man would want to optimize his ability to act in accordance with his own wishes by respecting the same of other people.

There are only two things in this world that stop you from being able to make a choice, and those two things are force and fraud. Acts of force completely stop you from being able to make a decision, much like fraud does. That is why you have the right to do anything you please that does not initiate force or fraud. Our rights are not God-given, they are not government-given, they are inherent of our ability to choose.

I don't understand how quantity has anything to do with anarchy. A population of 5,000 can live in anarchy, but a population of 5,000,000 can't? Why?

Government stops natural selection, so if what you say about our not being evolved enough is true, we are doomed.

So why allow destructive beings to have power, in any regard?

15. Human nature changes as condition changes. Are humans going around killing each other just to get ahead? No.

Does anyone know anything about medieval Ireland or Iceland? They were basically anarchist societies..

http://mises.org/journals/lf/1971/197...
    http://mises.org/journals/jls/1_2/1_2...
    http://mason.gmu.edu/~ihs/w91essay.html
    Ordered anarchy: medieval Iceland

16. I guess it would help if you explained what you mean by "anarchy". Most people don't actually understand what anarchy is, so they confuse it with words like "chaos". Anarchy simply means the absence of government, not the absence of order (which is what chaos means). People can (and often do) order their individual lives, and peacefully and cooperatively order their communities without having a gun shoved in their face by government.

Those who are legitimate anarchists reject the state on moral grounds. They recognize that state (government) can only bring about outcomes by force (or the threat of force). It has no other means of bringing about outcomes. As such, government is immoral on it's face. It initiates violence against otherwise peaceful people, steals from the industrious, and generally enriches parasitic bureaucrats.

Now getting back to your first questions... you ask "why anarchy wouldn't work"? and "what makes it impossible to implement"?

The answer is that anarchy does work... but it is not a system of government (so it cannot be "implemented"). Anarchy is a system of individualist ethics. It is a personal system.. not a collectivist system (like governments).

To attempt to "implement" anarchy, is to attempt to compel others to accept it. (and in so doing, violating the anarchist principles you are trying to advance)

Anarchism (the lack of government) is a good thing.. but it cannot be brought about by coercive implementation... it can ONLY be brought about the moral way... by persuasion... one mind at a time.

17. I suppose my question instead should have been, "What makes it impossible to remove the current system?"

What are the reasons for disapproval of anarchy as a lifestyle? Is it purely ignorance? Surely the idea of anarchy has been around since the existence of modern men, but has rarely been accepted culturally or socially. Whys is that?

18. I know i cant grow food..If i saw someone weaker who had food i would take it...whose going to stop me??????

and hell yea i wouldmt mind pillaging..who doesnt want to pillage