An organic soil mix of mine

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LumperDawgz, Feb 10, 2009.

1. LD,

Thank you very much!

2. Can I use this mix in the ground or only in pots? I have very bad soil here. Thank you

3. What do you feel makes it bad soil?

As to your question I would not use a soil mix with that high of a sphagnum peat. Growing in outdoors is a whole different paradigm as far as the soil is concerned.

If it's an issue of clay then that can be addressed fairly easily. If it's dead soil then you'll need to address that issue with compost and worm castings and some soil amendments like alfalfa and other meals.

LD

4. Hi LD,

What's the difference between neem cake and neem seed meal? Also, what is your application rate of neem cake/seed meal?

Thanks a lot!

5. lawschool

The term 'meal' is an American phenomenon. The term 'cake' is what it's called in the rest of the world.

The amount to add to your potting soil would depend on which specific product you're going to source. If it's from Down-To-Earth then go with 2 cups to 1 c.f. of potting soil.

If you're going to source the organic meal from NeemResource.com (The Ahimsa Foundation) then you could cut that to 1 cup to each c.f. of potting soil.

The organic meals carry 3x the levels of the various limonoids found in neem trees (there are about 20 actually with Azadirachtin being the main/only one ever discussed on cannabis boards).

For whatever reasons.

LD

6. Wow, what do you NOT know! LOL! As always, you are the man!

7. The Neem Resouce neem cake is so rich it looks/smells like a high end coffee from the Kona Coast!

8. Chunk

I love using the neem meal from Neem Resource. I attribute this specific amendment as the 'final solution' for PM and spider mites.

I use it in containers, in raised beds, seedling mix, worm bins, etc.

Best value for your dollar, IMHO

LD

9. LD,

If I were to make a light tea with the NR Neem cake and actually water the plants, can the plants pull the good stuff into their plant tissue as a systemic protection agent?

I was thinking about it yesterday when driving home from PDX and figured this discussion here is as good as any as a place to post it.

chunk

10. Chunk

Absolutely which is why the application of neem seed meal tea is as important (IMHO) as applying the oils from this tree. By applying to the soil you get the benefit from increased microbial activity (and in worm bins it can increase worm populations by as much as 25% all other factors being equal).

Like aloe vera, neem seed oils/meals contain SAR triggers that provide the best defense against anaerobic fungi like powdery mildew, black scab, et al.

And if all of these benefits weren't there and available, neem seed meal is a very solid N-P-K soil amendment to boot.

Feed the plants and kill the bad guys - pretty much a win-win deal from my perspective.

LD

11. LD,

Would a mix of 1/4 to 1/2 cup of neem cake per gallon of well water and bubbled for a day or so be a good start or is that a bit heavy?

chunk

12. Chunk

I use about 1.5 cups to 5 gallons of water along with 1 cup of kelp meal on a weekly basis. Hit the soil and spray everything on top of the soil. Praying hands for 72 hours.

Especially on my 'giant' rhubarb plant - LMAO

LD

13. Sweet........that rhubarb plant almost looks like something out of a scary movie its so freakin' huge..........It's definitely decided that the raised bed it's in is it's own and to hell with the other plants that are there with it it:D

14. LD,

is there a reason you choose pumice over perlite?

15. lawschool2012

Easy question and I like the fact that I don't even have to get into what a worthless agent perlite is as far as a so-called 'aeration amendment' in spite of the weird and wild claims usually made by the Perlite Institute.

Here are the main reasons...................

1. Cost - perlite is 'around' $18.00 for 4 c.f. at the wholesale level. That works out to be around $120.00 per c.y. Lava rock (the red stuff) is $35.00 per c.y. and pumice is $65.00 per c.y.

2. Porosity - look at photos of perlite, pumice and lava rock. It's in the 'holes' in the material that creates 'aeration' and not the actual physical size of the agent. The 'extra large' sh*t from Fox Farms is a good example of this silly thinking.

3. Cost - see #1

4. Cost - see #1

HTH

LD

16. Hi LD,

I have another question if you don't mind. Do you have an opinion as to which Canadian Sp. Peat Moss is better? In other words, which mining locations do you think is better than others?

Thanks again!

17. Hiya lawschool,

This post from our friend LD should answer your question. If not, use the advanced search with keywords Alaska Peat with Lumperdawgz2 as the poster and there is some more info.

cheers

chunk

18. #158 LumperDawgz2, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
    According to the Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Assocation Sun Gro Horticulture (Sunshine Mix) pulls out of New Brunswick, Manitoba and Alberta.

Premier Peat (from Premier Horticulture - the Pro-Mix people) pulls out of Ontario. Alaska Peat pulls out of Alberta only.

Tim W. at MicrobeOrganics.com ran a series of tests on the Premier Peat vs. Alaska Humus (aka Denali Gold, Alaska Magic, GH Ancient Forest, etc, etc, etc,) and showed that this specific sphagnum peat product outperformed the Alaska gunk/junk. As a personal favor to me he also secured a bale of the Alaska Peat (brand name not origin) and ran the same series of tests and it came through with flying colors.

At the Alaska Peat web site they have contact phone numbers and email for their reps in the states. I know that they do have one based in Central California (around Fresno I believe) so you could contact them and see where to source it.

You could certainly buy and use any of the straight sphagnum with the 'Sunshine' label but if you source it at a grow store you're going to get screwed 10 ways to Sunday. Sunshine sphagnum peat moss products should cost about $18.00 for 3.8 c.f. bales but by the time it hits the grow store it's bumped up to $48.00 - $55.00 for the exact same product and pack.

You can head over to Lowe's and they now carry the Premier Peat product - highly recommended. The price is around $13.00 for 3 or 3.8 c.f. bales - I can't remember which it is but it's very inexpensive either way.

You could also head over to Home Depot and they carry a sphagnum peat moss product under the 'Lakeland' label. Lakeland was an independent producer (like Alaska Peat) which was acquired by Sun Gro Horticulture a few years ago. They did this to secure more 'peat moss allotments' because the Canadian government tightly controls the harvest on this commodity. IOW a company like Fox Farms can't buy up some peat bogs and start ripping it out - it doesn't work that way.

You should consider this fact too - Sun Gro Horticulture is larger than all of the competition combined. That is a double-edged sword.

The path of least resistance is to go with Premier Peat (Lowe's) or Lakeland (Home Depot) as both of these specific products are #1 Grade Sphagnum Peat at very good/fair prices, IMHO

HTH

LD

lawschool2012

BTW - do you have access to Lexis-Nexis by any chance?

19. LD,

Yes I have access to LexisNexis Academic. How can I help you?

20. Oh, and thanks Chunk and LD for your responses. :)