An organic soil mix of mine

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LumperDawgz, Feb 10, 2009.

1. As mentioned, find something local. I happened on granite dust at a local landscape supply place. Never been in there since it's mainly for the 'trade'.

Anyway, granite dust cost me a whopping $3/5 gallon bucket full, they normally sell it by the CY for $28. I had to supply buckets and shovel.:D I guesstimate there was 100-120 lbs of granite dust for $3. The buckets cost more than the dust, already had the shovel.;)

If no joy there, at least snag some Azomite. I still use it. Just keep an eye on ebay for shipping deals. There is nothing like that locally, along with a bunch of other neat stuff who's shipping would be way more than the cost of the product.

Wet

2. wow i just finished reading this whole thread and its amazing.. anyone interested in making their own soils should read this whole thread. there is a lot to be learned here. i think it covers almost everything.

did i hear lumperdawgz just grows from bagseed???? gtfoh!!! if i had a addy for him i would lace him with more beans of the best genetics then anyone could ever need. i should name a strain after him. stardawg x herijuana og= lumperdawgz.

i got a bunch of herijuana og crosses i just made if any organic growers wanna test em shoot a pm. im down to help the organic cause anyway i can.

and i just got a 2.2 cf bail of alaskan peat from the nursery for $14. the 3.8 bail was $20. i got a mix cooking right now from the promix but im gonna make another one from the peat and then just add the coco, ewc and perlite myself. i can never have enough soil, especially since it has to be cooked. its good to always have some on deck. its fun to try to make soil as cheap as you possibly can.

thanks to everyone thats participated in this thread. its pure knowledge. answered so many questions i had just reading these pages.

ok have a good day.

3. <***chuckle***>

4. Hey CQ,

I have some Pro-Mix HP to use up. I'm sure you've posted before what ratio its ingredients are (peat vs perlite), but I can't find it. Is 3 parts Pro-Mix HP to 1 part EWC about right for the 50/25/25 base?

5. Yep - dat's it!

6. #426 hope2toke, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2012

7. ahahaa apparently he was being modest when he said he just grows bagseed. that picture of the afghani looks delicious.

ok so after reading that i got the idea hes growing bomb strains that hes chosen over time and just doesnt really care much about all the crazy genetics.

growing all the different strains is part of the fun to me. i love it.

8. Bingo!

9. #429 ComfreyQuery, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    I'd like to study genetics someday to solve the timeless question: What is in OG Kush?

Or will I hearing about the Dead concert again? Just curious......

10. subbed thanks for the mist

11. Or will I hearing about the Dead concert again? Just curious......

Damn hippies.

The nerve. Sheesh.

J

12. sorry for being a pain in the butt possibly, but i had a question i been reading through this feed and i also live in maine. i have a medical card and im also a caregiver. im looking into going to fedco and getting ammenments etc. LD i see a few different things you have posted and i am kinda confused. What exactly is your recipe and what ammendments etc do i need? do u let it cook for 4 weeks? water with any teas? thanks in advance

13. LD, sadly, isn't around on this forum anymore. Jerry has a good thread for hanging out and asking organic growing questions that you might want to check it out.

Here is a basic LD mix I have used:

BASE
    50% Sphagnum Peat
    25% EWC/other humus (you want quality here)
    25% Aeration (LD turned me on to parboiled rice hulls, which work great)

AMMENDMENTS (per cubic foot of base)
    3-4 cups glacial rock dust or other mineral supplement (you may wish to use less if you are using Azomite)
    1/2 cup Kelp Meal
    1/2 cup Crab Meal
    1/2 cup Neem Meal

Here is a post I did making a mix close to this.

I have traditionally not let my soils 'cook' long (often as little as a week), although many will tell you to let it go longer. To some degree this will reflect the quality of your ingredients (I'm using a different/better humus source now and it seems to want to go longer). I believe most plants will like some tea with that mix, but you should also be able to get away with water only.

Aggregated info you may find helpful: Neem and Karanja Meal, Kelp Meal and Alfalfa

14. Jerry and i both live in maine and i have access to fedco organic growers supply. i can get a lot of different meals etc. i see you say EWC or other good humis source. what else would substitute as im pretty sure all the EWC around here are commercial ones.

Moto

15. If you're by Jerry he might be the one to help you source good humus. :)

I'm currently using ~50/50 mix of EWC from a local area farm and Alaskan Humisoil from a bag.

You can always make/harvest your own...

You might try craigslist for EWC - couldn't hurt. :wave:

16. Im a Maina too. Fedco is great!! The EWC they sell is from worm power in ny, I believe. I have used it with great results and Jerry raves about it too. I have also used coast of Maine EWC, also highly recommended. Fedco sells some dry fert mixes, but I usually go with alfalfa, kelp and neem. Coast of Maine lobster compost is also great, highly recommended by Ld too. Get some granite meal too, a very good rock dust source. Fedco also sells buckwheat hulls for aeration. The staff there is knowledgeable and friendly. Check out MGBs journal, he just started a new grow using a bunch of fedco products.
    Hope this helps,
    ~ tree

17. Hey TD i was wondering if you could post a exact recipe per cf with all the listed ingredients. i also have blood and bone meal and bat guano, that ok for the mix also or un needed? im assuming u mix like 5 lbs of each meal into a 5 gallon bucket? the buckwheat hulls are for aeration so that goes in with my EWC and pro mix.

Thanks
    moto

18. This thread has great info on mixing soil (start on page 1)
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

i dont personally use bone or blood meal or guano, but a lot of people do
    i would mix them in equal parts and then add 2-3 cups of mix per cu ft.
    so if you were only mixing up 1 or 2 cu ft i wouldnt mix up 5lb at a time I would mix like 2 cups of each then 2-3 cups of that mix per cu ft.

i also mix my amedments and my rock dust in with my compost then mix that in with the pro-mix and aeration(buckwheat hulls)

Hth
    ~tree

19. i saw a few weeks ago that ocfarm supply in orange county ca. sells compost in bulk for cheap. does anyone have experience with their compost? could it be a viable option in place of castings for ld's soil mix? thanks