An octopus's garden in the fog.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Deleted member 638051, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Ya, didn't wanna fuck with youtube, but here it is.
    Taken with the camera on this 200 dollar laptop I inherited from my kid.

Starting to get kinda crowded in here.

I shut the lights down this morning. I hope they'll be ok for a week or so.
    This is a 20 year old 3 mp camera.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Very Nice

Oh so my son's rats got out in the house a few weeks ago , he found all but one.
    Today we found freddie, als we knew him well
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Total noob question here but when you transplant into the ground why do you trim the tops? I think I'm probably a week or two a way from sexing the plants and was going to put at least 1 in the ground just to see how it does compare to 10 gal cloth pots.

4. #24 Deleted member 638051, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2019
    It has nothing to do with when I put them in the ground, actually.
    I make my own regular seeds, nothing is 'feminized'.
    I don't like to spend anything on the plants until I discover the sex.
    (This is why you will notice some yellow leaves at the bottoms of my bucket plants. New growth will be green.)
    Then I select what I think are the best looking females to keep. From those, I select the best ones to plant in the ground, and the rest in buckets. At that point, I start any manipulations I want.
    Given time to recover from transplanting, which will vary from plant to plant, I may decide to cut the tops. This will result in two stems instead on one. The plant will spread wider as opposed to taller. I've had issues in the past running out of room to grow up top before the flowers ripen.
    In the pictures of my green house, the second one shows a plant that was topped twice. And that one even ran out of room up top before harvest. I had to keep bending stems over to grow sideways. Not convenient when they get taller than I can reach.
    Here are some pictures of results from cutting the tops. These have only been cut once.
    P2240002.jpg P2240003.jpg P2240004.jpg P2240007.jpg P2240008.jpg
    Here you can see the results on the top end.
    P2240009.jpg
    Here you can see why I like to trim up the bottom branches. I didn't do this one, now I got leaves drowning in the mud when I water. They'll turn yellow>brown> then die off.
    P2240010.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm going to cut some more tops this evening.
    I think I've noticed better recovery at night.
    It's seems as though dark time is more for healing and light time is more for growing. I don't have any science to back that up. Just seems that way to me.
    But then..... I put air in my tires and feel like I'm going 10mph faster. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Something different I notice about this grow:
    I seem to have more purple stems than usual.
    Where I live I see more fog than sun. And the position of space in my yard only offers about 5-6 hours of direct sun between morning and afternoon shadows. This might contribute to the long stretchy plant growth, especially for a sativa strain. I'm at 34 deg. Lat.
    The difference between day and night temps can be 30f to 40f degree swing. I can see the plants aren't too fond of that. I do get plants that show some purpling. Some worse than others, and some with none.
    The forecast looks like 20* swing for the next week.
    Understanding that extreme temps can hinder the plants ability to uptake certain nutrients, I suspect this is why I end up with a few purple stems on occasion.
    But this year I seem to have more purple stems than usual.
    The stems seem to me like they're thinner and not as strong this time around. My thoughts are this is the result of not having any kitchen compost ready this year. No compost, no sea weed, no charcoal.....
    I'm wondering if it's not too late in the game to go to the store and look for something high in K to top dress and/or foliar feed a tea? But then, if the plant is not capable of uptake, what would be the point? On the other hand, it can't uptake what's not available.

7. #27 Deleted member 638051, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2019
    Went out this morning to look things over and found two (2) of my bucket plants had grown balls.
    No sign of hermie, pretty sure it was just a screw up on my part.
    I took a good look at the rest of them. Everything looks good for now.
    Just glad I caught them early. Actually, I can use the extra space.
    CRW_0004.jpg
    I'll hang these to dry and use them topically.

8. Google Earth caught me throwing rolls of plastic over the green house in between rain storms. This is only a couple months ago. I remember it, but couldn't tell you what day it was.
    The arrow points to me.
    Screenshot (82).png
    In the lower right you can see the tree that casts a shadow till around 10am. I estimate this picture to be around 2:30pm due to the shadow from the house creeping over to the green house.

9. Got a secondary cage around this one, as anticipated.
    No. 1 & 2
    IMG_0006.jpg No. 3
    IMG_0007.jpg No. 4
    IMG_0008.jpg
    After a lot of fog and overcast, It suddenly cleared up and has been hot the past couple days. The plants sure ain't like'n it.
    I finding taco leaves and dry soil. Gonna have to "up" the water rations.
    IMG_0012.jpg IMG_0013.jpg
    My bad! I let this gal get a little thirsty.
    IMG_0014.jpg
    I gave everything a pretty good soaking last night. Maybe even a little overkill. Then I sprayed and shooed some bugs away.

10. A watched plant never grows.
    Cannabis only grows when you're not looking.
    The side wall is 6' tall. This plant is almost there. Allowing for the roof pitch, it's got about 2.5' to go.
    I should have started bending these branches over a long time ago. It's best to bend new growth. The older the stem gets, the more 'woody' it becomes and liable to break. You can see I'm trying to grab too much. I only noticed this predicament this morning. I haven't had a crop for a couple years, so I'm figuring it out all over again. Just all a lack of planning on my part.

CRW_0001.jpg
    CRW_0002.jpg CRW_0003.jpg CRW_0004.jpg CRW_0007.jpg

11. #33 Deleted member 638051, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2019
    Duplicate post.
    Jitters - glitches - error messages - timed outs........

12. Stiiiiilllll vegging.
    3' yard stick on the ground for reference.
    CRW_0002.jpg CRW_0003.jpg I cut the tops on this one again.
    CRW_0005.jpg
    I cut the tops on this one again, too.
    CRW_0006.jpg
    This is one of the bucket plants.
    CRW_0007.jpg
    I had mentioned to my wife that it was getting too crowded to get around with the water hose in there. So she gave away one of the bucket plants to her friend who's been using my topical for a couple years now, and was asking about seeds. That's one way to cull the herd.

13. Drizzling fog.
    CRW_0001a.jpg
    With any luck, a breeze will come up around lunch time and clear a path for the sun.
    CRW_0003a.jpg
    Known around here as the "June Gloom".
    Tourists come here from the desert to escape the heat on weekends.

14. Why did you change your profile pic? Thought the other was kind of cool.

15. I dunno. Got tired of looking at that one?
    And Walter is my favorite comedian.

16. How many gallons of water do you think you put on each of your plants that are in the ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. I don't measure it. I just sit there a let the hose pour on it.
    I know from past grows that a mature plant in the 7 gallon bucket takes about 2 gallons to drain from the bottom. So I've been guessing in my head when I think about 3-4 gallons from the hose has soaked into the ground.
    In the past I have let the hose run for 10 minutes on a single plant in the ground. While not harming the plants, I decided a 10 minute hose job is just overkill and waste. Growing in the ground is so much more forgiving than in the buckets. I can over water in the buckets if I water too often. But I find it almost impossible to over water plants in the ground. Keep in mind that your back yard may vary.
    I water the buckets every 3 days. I water the ground everyday, sometimes twice, morning and evening.

I'm a very undisciplined gardener. If I can grow pounds of weed, any cave man can do just as well.

• Like Like x 1