An LST Lady Never Shows Her Stem...

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by itsmysubaru, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Hey man. your lady is looking very healthy! Grats on the female persuasion, hope to see those buds piling on real soon :)

2. Yup, one long string. Different anchor points around the jug, though. So it's like a pulley system, which I can tighten at places, or loosen to move the string up or a node.

3. Thank you! Let's hope she stays this way as she fills out her home. I'm slowly upping the nutes, too. Added a couple drops of superthrive to her watering today, as well as her standard 10ml/gal of FFGB.

I'm still undecided as to when, if at all, I'll be switching to 12/12 on this plant. It'll be at least a few more weeks at this rate. I'll probably cut a few clones along the way for an additional or replacement mother, and a couple to flower at different intervals. This timeline depends on my cab, and the progress I make with the clones. Still awaiting some supplies and some time with my secret weapon, lol. I'm owed a favor by a highly experienced (but painfully lazy) retired custom cabinet maker :D

4. Nice looking LST, I'm interested to see how your yield is. Good luck!

5. Wow!! Looks like Don Piano has been giving you Advanced Paint lessons, itsmy!! :)

LST is amazing to me...I hope she really puts out for you...it looks like she'd bend over backwards...

OK...I'll stop. :smoke::smoke:

I, too, am interested in what you yield!!

6. Hmmm, never seen it done like that. Doesn't matter, LST is about achieving a certain result not about a certain tying technique. As long as it works, grow on!

7. Looking tight man. Great job on the LST! Yours is the first journal I've seen on here where "LST" involves more than one tie. I'm not going to start a journal just yet, but hopefully in a couple weeks, I'll have something similar going on. progress like you've got here.

Keep up the good work man, I'll be watching!

8. Thanks toasty! Seems to be working, and it's easy to maintain and adjust (not to mention thrifty on string), so I think I'll stick with it!

Str3aks, it's kinda one tie, but with a bunch of anchor points. Almost makes a lace, with the stem running parallel to the top of the jug, horizontally. Can't wait to see you get started; LST really is a cool hobby. It requires a little attention, maybe even a little creativity, but the results are great! I don't think I could grow in my Rubbermaid without it. I'll be looking out for that thread!

9. Got a little shopping done today, supplies for the next generation!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Here's a quick 'before' update... the 'after' shots will be of my new clones! Making my cloner today, with perlite and some 16oz cup bottoms... using a salad container as a dome :cool:

If I'm feeling adventurous I'll cut them tonight, might even have another update :eek:

Here's the same bathroom sink shot, same angle. Trying to keep the theme going:

[​IMG]

Growth lifted up so you can see the stem:

[​IMG]

My lady in her element:

[​IMG]

Here's a bit of noob evidence, mid January. LST is on the right, lanky-plant (RIP) closest to the light :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

That's it! Check by soon for clone updates :wave:

11. Thanks for the up

12. No problem! I appreciate the encouragement, hope you like what you see :ey:
    I'll be keeping this updated for you and me and the other heads out there watching. I like being able to check the thread, instead of keeping pictures on a computer or camera... and that way I can see growth, too; I can hardly tell sometimes otherwise.

:smoking:

About $100 spent so far, electricity included! Just a quick tally:

FFGB, other nutes: $15
    H.D. crap, overpriced CFLs: $20 (one broke, stole a 20w warm CFL from the apt)
    Electricity: 120kW over 2 mo: <$20, including delivery
    Duct tape: $10
    New soil and perlite: $10
    Leftover shultz potting soil from apt
    Containers from recyling
    Rubbermaid from recyling

Filter elements (not in use yet): total $25
    1/4" hardware cloth: $7
    70CFM 92mm PC fan $5,
    Carbon filter shake $5
    Panty hose: $3
    Caulk: $4
    Cotton balls: $1
    Plastic bottles/jars from recycling free.99

And that's it so far! I may have to doulbe this budget to flower properly, but it'll be worth it for the returns. For now, I've gotta get to this cloner :cool:

13. Armed with a little knowledge from Smokeitdown's thread, I got down to the business of cloning tonight, after a nice meal. I quickly realized that my flimsy plastic salad box wasn't going to cut it for my purposes. My clones will be small now (just over 2"), but I plan to be cutting bigger clones, so I'll need more space, time to re-purpose something! The words of Don Piano haunted me "Rubbermaid... white top... trust me" as I lurked through the house, looking for our next sacrifice. Spotted. Girlfriend's closet, bottom right corner, Rubbermaid box, white top. What's this, shoes? Not anymore. Consider this box commandeered:

[​IMG]

Energized, I rounded up a few soda bottles, and cut them in half with my teeth. Poked holes with my k-9's. Or that poker.

[​IMG]

That takes care of containers. I washed everything down good and proper, and started setting up my tools: Razor blade, fresh manicure scissors, check. Superthrive, check. RO water, sorta check (distilled). Spritzer, check. H2o2, check. Perlite, waiting. Okay, looks like we're go...

[​IMG]

Nothing to wait for now... here's before:

[​IMG]

And after:

[​IMG]

No pants! The best candidates I could find were near the bottom. Here they are:

[​IMG]

They wouldn't look like that for long:

[​IMG]

Finished product... I could've used about 1 cm more stem, but live and learn:

[​IMG]

The bottoms of the leaves almost touch, I'll try to pad the perlite down more so they're better separated. Is that going to be an issue? Here's the closed unit, going on my fridge for tonight, and in the box tomorrow:

[​IMG]

I've got my fingers crossed, thanks again to D.P. for the method.

Thanks for stopping in, any feedback is appreciated!! :D

14. I was working fast when I cut the clones, so I didn't take pics. Basically, I cut each clone about 1/4" below the 3rd or 4th node from the top. The final cuts for the clones were made under water; what I did was peel the leaf off, and scrape the surrounding areas on each side with the razor. I inserted the cutting so that the bottom of the stem almost reached water level; hope this is accurate. OK... Time to blaze!

15. #75 Don Piano, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
    Use slightly less water. If the container is 4" tall have the water up on it 1". The perlite will wick the water. The addition of a small air pump ($5 @walmart in the aquarium section) and airstone ($2, same store and department) and dont forget 2bucks worth or poly tubing. This will keep the water oxygenated.

Looking good though. Nice work. Sorry I have not made it by sooner.

16. Thanks Don! I just gave them a breath and took out some water. I guess there's about a half inch of space before the roots are at the water table. Do you think the leaves touching perlite will be an issue?

The cloner goes into my Rubbermaid box tomorrow morning. I need to re-arrange my PVC light rig, to move the bulbs away from center (and maybe add a couple sockets). I'll update soon!

17. Okay, so the cloner fit decently without any re-arranging. Here's what it looks like now.... I don't feel like cannibalizing my clamp lamps yet for their sockets, so the extra lights will have to wait. Hoping my lady doesn't notice she's been moved over!

[​IMG]

Would it be an issue if I put my LST on top of the cloner? Or would that block out too much light?

18. *Crosses Fingers*

May the light of the Gods of Cannabis shine brightly on your leaves, and never upon your roots!!

Good Luck, Itsmy!!

19. Thanks for the good wishes, Bud! I think I may need them on this one... the clones are small to begin with, without much stem. The other issue is heat; I've got them in the box now, which stays above 75, but I'm not sure the water will stay that warm. Let's hope they're fighters!

I'll head over to the pet store to see if I can find an air pump/stone/tubing for a reasonable price. If I can get it sorted for under $20, there will be bubbles by tonight. If it's too expensive, I'll just wait to see if this method gets the job done. I don't mind waiting a couple weeks for roots, if it saves me a couple Hamiltons.

Your babies look great, BTW! :smoking:

20. Well, after almost 2 hours in the box, the water temp is at 74.2. Handy little outdoor thermometer! I think that temp is acceptable, it should go up some as the day goes on. The box is near the intake, though, so it may be an issue at night. Maybe the clones should sleep on the fridge?

When I build my NGB style cab, I think I'll put adapters/ballast/etc directly under my clone space. That way I can have a sheet metal top cover for the utilities, and re-use that heat for the clones!