An LST Lady Never Shows Her Stem...

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by itsmysubaru, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Great looking plant man-- Healthy!!

LST in a single Rubbermaid may be the way to go!:smoke:

2. I'm noticing some alternating nodes in the first few pics.....a pretty good sign it may be a she. I've got a pheno that's very similar to that--purple stripes up the stem and a real purple center where the leaves emanate from. Keep us informed. Looks great!!

3. Thanks man... let's just say she was an unexpected child, and this has been a learning process. She has a brother (I think) who sprouted earlier. He/she is a completely different pheno, and is much less robust. I'm considering taking a few clones and just chopping it to free up some space. If female, great... if male, I'll just pitch them. I admit he was also much taller early on, and may have had heat/ph issues early too.

If my LST is a girl, I *may* clone and do a small SoG in the Rubbermaid. That would enable me to build a proper NGB style cab, while I'd use another Rubbermaid for the mum in the meantime. If that doesn't materialize, I'll just flower her once I get the stem farther around and a few more shoots pop up.

This entire process has been eye-opening and really inspiring so far, let's just say I don't want to contribute anymore to the drug system/heirarchy. Prices are absurd around here, the characters are always shady, and the buds are inconsistent. I'd rather pay 10 bucks a month in electricity so me and my girl can share a J or a few tubes when we're done with a long day. Okay, /end rant :D

4. Thanks Greyhound! I sure hope so... I've been talking dirty to her, it better be a she. :p

5. #25 zpyro, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009
    wtf u talkin about? I don't see any alternating nodes in any pics :confused: even if there were, it is by no means a sign of sex

6. The new tie-off pic has alternating nodes; maybe he was talking about the spacing... do fems generally have more compact node spacing?

7. I don't see it...alternating nodes means the nodes aren't directly opposite each other, and your nodes are directly opposite each other. in that tie-off pic, the nodes in the center of the pic aren't alternating, and the node next up the stem is the same way. those are the only nodes I see :confused:

I've read that males tend to stretch more, so compact spacing might be a sign. I'd just not try to tell what it is til it's ready to show. I vegged mine for 2 months and by the time I switched to 12/12, the females were showing preflowers and there was no question about who was what :p

8. Thanks for the info, I had assumed incorrectly that 180 degree opposite nodes were alternating nodes.

Well her "brother," who sprouted only a few days before she popped up, looks like this: [​IMG]

Much leggier... 'he' also had a pH problem, causing the clawing and N def (I think). We'll see who's who pretty soon, before going to 12/12 I hope! As I said I may just chop up the yellow one, grabbing a few clones in case it's a female. If it was a male, I don't even think I'd bother setting aside a pair of clones for seeds, since 'his' pheno seems to have handled essentially the same stresses much worse than my LST lady.

What do you think?

9. These are from the same bagseed. This 2g bag of had 4 seeds in it... I have two left :smoking:

[​IMG]

10. Non-alternating nodes:

..|
    .\|/
    ..|
    ..|
    ..|

Alternating nodes:

..|
    .\|
    ..|/
    ..|
    ..|
    ..|

Alternating nodes is a sign that the plant is ready for flowering/sexual maturity but does not indicate which sex.

Often males grow bigger/faster than females of the same strain but not necessarily.

11. Learn somethin' new everyday! Thanks mang.

12. #32 RollDatLiteDat, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    LST is the way to go. I hope she's a girl. Its crazy how compact your plant is. At flowering, you'll basically have to begin your LST process all again so that buds share the light too.

13. Thanks, RDLD. Just checked out your grow, I'll be happy if I get that far :hello: How was the quality of your harvest? Still knocking on wood that she's a she!

14. #34 itsmysubaru, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    Here's a few shots from today

3 days later...

[​IMG]

I'd totally relax under this tree if I were mini :smoking:

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by, stay high GC :wave:

15. Why does tinypic own me when it comes to resolution :rolleyes:

Sorry, editing!

16. Very nice. I'll keep watching!

17. Couple shots for an update... not quite major growth, but she does continue to fill out nicely. Still just under 100 watts of CFL (3x26w 5500k, 1x20w 2700k)... When she shows her ladyparts to me, I'll be taking the clones into my new flower Rubbermaid. Of course I'll update as I go, for those who are paying attention! :wave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Since my last update kinda sucked... here's some more shots! :cool:

This is where my Rubbermaid lives, under the un-used kitchen table:
    [​IMG]

"Is that really a cookie sheet?" ... yes :smoking:
    [​IMG]

Getting crowded in here; I'm chopping the one on the right...:
    [​IMG]

Because of THIS! :hello:
    Hope you can see what I see there; this was the best shot I could get:
    [​IMG]

Some rootage:
    [​IMG]

More rootage:
    [​IMG]

If she's a she like I think she be... this will come in handy for clonage (Thanks Don Piano!):
    [​IMG]

And that, blades, is my update for today!

19. Looks great itsmy! Although I hope you aren't chopping the plant with the circled part, that looks like a female!

20. Yes, that's my baby... would never dream of chopping her, other than for clones.

The one I'll be cutting is the yellow-ish, stretchy, clawed male (I think) that is stealing her light, space and CO2. Just want to make POSITIVE that the picuture with the circle, or ellipse, is indeed a female. I'm pretty sure, but need some back-up.

Thanks for posting up, makes me feel like somebody's paying attention :p