An LST Lady Never Shows Her Stem...

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by itsmysubaru, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Here's my LST lady (not yet, but a guy can hope), in all her mini-bushiness. Almost 6 weeks, vegged 18/6 under 100 true watts of CFL, in a single Rubbermaid container. FFGB nutes at 1/4 strength every other water since week 3. In the first pics she's in a 2L bottle half, and rises almost 3" above the bottle :biggrin:

[​IMG]

See if you can follow the stem as we take a little trip down her toight nodage.

Top:

[​IMG]

Going down, first of two tie downs (one at the stem):

[​IMG]

Next few nodes... Where'd that stem go?!:

[​IMG]

Another pic of all the nodes, leaves pulled back:

[​IMG]

2. Continued...
    Base stemage:

[​IMG]

Here she is after a quick transplant, and re-tie:

[​IMG]

Since I have VERY limited space in my Rubbermaid, I'll be switching to 12/12 very soon. I'll probably take a couple cuts of this plant before I do so, since it's such a hearty/compact little bugger. I've been taking lots of pics, so I'll put together a GJ before long. Since I'm a first timer, was hoping to get some feedback on my baby... any thoughts? Do you think if I flower now I'll be able to keep her in line with about a foot more headroom?

As always, comments and constructive criticism are welcome :smoking:

3. What, a bunch of views but no love for my girl?
    It's okay, she's tough :)

As a side note, I was eying another 2L bottle and decided to make a humidity reservoir out of it. I cut it down to about 4 inches and filled it with perlite and water. I stole the black duct tape from my lady's old container, and wrapped it for a little extra heat absorption. This ought to offer up a little boost in RH! :smoking:

4. DAMN DUDE! I wouldnt expect a plant to get THAT big from cfl's... Maybe like an HPS or MH... You must be doing something right.

Shes beautiful, but lets hope its a she! Keep us updated!

5. Thanks Wrecked! I think I got lucky with this pheno. With the two tie downs she's only about 3 inches tall, those pics can fool you. Really bushy though, most growth is horizontal, which is what I'm aiming for. Once she fills out her new container, it's 12/12 for sure. Never topped or FIM'd, so it will be interesting to see how even I can get those buds. Assuming of course she's a a she...

6. Should I trim some of those fan leaves?

7. Don't trim leaves if you don't have to, and you don't have to. Check out my grow if you want to see LST plants veg'd for 2months, see how lush my little shrubs are, and I still don't trim hardly any leaves. The ones that need to be trimmed will just end up shrouded by other growth and die off anyways. If you want more light to the nodes, tie down or tuck the leaves. I used some lengths of copper wire bent into hooks, stuck down into the soil. They're strong enough to hold down a leaf, but easy to remove.

8. Thanks, Z... I'd rather not cut this one 'til I take a few clones, if possible. Gonna hop over to your grow now and check it out.

9. Are you kidding? That plant has been vegging for 6 weeks? It looks to be only a few inches tall. Is it still in a 2-litre bottle?

10. I've seen lots of people who skip reading, but few who skip pictures, lol.

11. I see 7 pictures, 6 of them are birds-eye view and the last shows the plant from the side, appears to be about 6 inches tall at most. What am I missing?

12. The last pic is in a different bottle, now half of a 3L. I figure if I keep it in a small container, the plant will stay compact. As far as time; I'm in no rush, and am pretty happy with my results for a first grow. Don't know if you caught that it's under 100 watts of CFL... Reading is your friend, brotha :cool:

13. I read it the first time. I'm wondering about size of the plant not lights. Maybe my eye just isn't seeing the scale correctly in that photo, looks about 6" tall to me. That's all. ;)

14. #14 itsmysubaru, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    It's actually less! She's a wee one, barely 3 inches tall... the original post had a & quot ; in it instead of '' But as I said, I'm digging the compactness since the grow space is vertically challenged. I just hope she stays small, and that she's a she! Smoke on :smoking:

15. Looks great buddy! Hope its a girl :)

16. when do you start LST? and my plant is about 2 days old since breaking through the soil and well i suck at describeing things so here it is

[​IMG]

normal??? just a worried "Father" lol looking out for his "Daughter" i hope *Knocks on wood*

17. Tank you sir! I'm hoping so too, got my fingers crossed.

I think your seedling is as tall as my girl! I'd get her closer to the light, and maybe bury some of that stem to keep her proportional and not stretched out. When you see a few sets of leaves (I started LST after the 3rd node), then you can get to bending. Be gentle, and go slow... good luck!

18. #18 imstoned, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    oh okay i do keep it pretty close to the light im on a 24-0 light pattern
    the bulb is about 2-3 inches from the top of the plant so im not sure how close you want it heres a pic of my set up

[​IMG]

EDIT: P.S its a PC stealth grow box i designed and built i dont see enough PC grow boxes on the GC i love them there sweet

19. It's easy to start a new thread rather than hijack someone else's...

What kind of light are you using? That sprout most def is stretching. LST anytime after you get the 4th node.

20. So my LST barely noticed her transplant, and kept on keeping on. Here she is, almost 2 days later... Notice the shoot in the center really starting to compete with the real top.

[​IMG]

The results of today's tie-down, same angle:

[​IMG]

Where I tied her off:

[​IMG]

And a 180 view... she's bowing to you, GC! :hello:

[​IMG]