an insult to my intelligence

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by CH3VELLE, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Seems a little contradictory there, you would argue against something you believed was possible?

Comparing ET's with elves is a stretch but I see what you are saying.

But what it boils down to is non-freedom of thought concerning possiblities. You want to contain possiblity into a box that seems more possible. But how can you do that? By limiting what you view as possible.

Well if it's by an inch or a mile it's still valid.

You saying it's false cannot be validated. That's all I have to say about that~

The burden of proof would be on me if I believed as much as you do that they DON'T exist, but if you don't stand on it being valid either way you are wrong.

I think there is a chance they may be a great story with a message just as much as I believe they could be real. I understand your frustration with not being able to prove something is not there, but imagine if it's true, how people would feel not being able to prove it was there. It's the same story.

2. A lot of stuff is possible, I am not going to say it is true because it is possible. It is not contradictory at all.

Maybe.

No, I do not limit what I view is possible. I make use of something called probability.

Not necessarily, and not because you want it to be.

What do I believe that does not exist? I believe there are aliens out there. I believe this universe is teeming with life. The burden of proof is never on me, because I am not the one claiming we are being visited by aliens. You are. Thus, it is up to you to prove it. If you are simply saying it is possible, then congrats, as I stated before, I am sure everyone can agree on that.

3. Please find where I claim we are being visited by aliens in this thread.

well that's a lot different than

But at least you corrected yourself.

Which limits possibility~

4. Yup.

Hell -- there is a possibility that *I* am an alien. My birth was an elaborate hoax, it was accomplished with use of mind-altering agents, memory transplants and abduction, involving my adoptive parents and hospital staff.

I was given a human-looking body so I could infiltrate the society and unconciously conduct numerous sociological experiments, all in preperation for the arrival of the Tralfamidorian Invasion Fleet.

Upon which time, the truth will be revealed to me, and I will lead an army of pan-dimensional aliens to assault the lowly earthlings.

Not very probable though.

5. Just as long as we are on the same page now. :)

Because of possibility being infinite, unless it's been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt all possiblity is valid, no matter how ridiculous it may seem.

How probable was it that life occured? Am I crazy to think that it's possible for something to come from nothing or to have always existed?

6. Actually, you're right up until you claim it as valid. It's only valid if it does not violate logic.

Most astronomical probabilities are such because they do. Therefore they are not valid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Validity

7. "This could have happened" does not violate logic. "This might have happened" violates logic.

But thank you for the link. ;)

It is a valid possiblity, not a valid event.

You are only arguing that it is not a valid occurance, and I never once said it did happen.

You just want to shut down the very thought with logic and reason, and sorry logic and reason only apply to the real world and not in our imagination.

In my opinion it is imagination that runs things and logic and reason only came about to make sense of it all. So for someone to say we can't think outside of the box because of lack of evidence, I will always stand up and say I can, and I will.

I like stories with messages, and without an imagination they cannot be formed.