An inexpensive DIY grow light

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by StuntShine420, May 11, 2008.

1. Hi man do these hold Nutes or is it just a puddle with Co2 and nutrients :eek:i am tryin to decide on Hydro for 2nd Grow .:wave:

2. The roots grow through the rocks (which are held in net pots) and down into the res. I'm a soil guy though, so that explanation may be a little off.

To get this thread back on topic, here is a SketchUp of my new flowering CLF fixture I'm building for my new cabinet.

The dimensions are 1'9"L x 1'2"W. It holds twelve (12) 23watt CFL's totaling 276 watts, and 19,200 Lumens.

The fixture is being cut out of aluminum, then covered in Sunleaves Ultreflect. It will only reach 2" in height, so the bulbs will be very close, and the light will actually reflect! There is a 6" diameter hole cut in the top where I will mount a inline duct fan to suck air out through the fixture and cool the lights.

I ended up having to run a piece of PVC right through the middle of it though, to help make it easier to route to wiring. The fixture is built, and wired, just waiting on a few more light sockets and bulbs.

First 2 pics are of the fixture, 3rd pic is of the fixture placed into my new cabinet...everything is scaled to size.

Attached Files:

3. Hi man did you find the connecters yet ?or anything Simler :smoking:.

4. nice, Ripped Drifter.

how will you deal with moving the light up and down, or will it be at a fixed height? do u plan to have any other exhaust for the cabinet?

5. The ducting running from duct fan on the light reflector will be the flexible ducting (dryer ducting). So raising and lowering the lights won't be much of a problem, they will be hooked onto small chains.

I shouldn't need any other exhaust really. There's a 6" duct fan in the reflector, and one at the other end of the ducting, where the air exits the box.

I haven't setup the venting completely vet, so if anyone has any better ideas, I may change it.

6. Hello :)what is the reflective silver you are using ?

7. It looks like Mylar to me.

8. Mylar i thought that was White:confused:.
    Can you get it from garden shops ,silver like this ?

9. Mylar is the silver stuff. You were thinking of the black/white pol...also known as panda paper I believe.

10. Thanks for info ,i am in europe and small village mentality:Dlol,can you get mylar for other things without havin to go to Local Garden centre:eek:.

Great post

11. thanks for the idea bro definite +rep

Attached Files:

12. my attempt, thanks for the good idea man.

[​IMG]

13. Thanks, nice setup, I might do this for my clones, Right now I have 3x Y Adapters for a 4 prong over them, But i do like this and I can't resist a good DIY

14. I was so interested, but UK, I've just searched net for over an hour (yes I did deviate) for the y adapters and not one can be found in this useless country grrrrrr.

But if they ever are available, then I will be making one of these for sure. Brilliant!

15. this looks really cool. But with cfls dont you want to spread the bulbs around the plant more?

16. I know it's been a month since the last post here but, I really think someone should make a step by step tutorial. I know this is rather simple, but it would be nice to see the specificaitons.

17. Nice setup dude, great details +rep
    Do you think you could tell me all the supplies you're using in your grow setup, i like what im seeing, and thinking about making one like it, reply would be grateful, thanks?

18. Thanks for all the rep! I haven't seen this thread in a long while and I'm quite surprised! :)smoke:) All your lights look great guys! Sorry I don't have any step by step but I'll see what I can do. I've built some other things so I guess I'll have to get some pics and start some more DIY threads!!

19. Thats whats up dude, your definitly a pro DIY kinda person :p

20. You can buy Safety Blankets that are Mylar and they cost about US $3.00 at a local Wal-Mart or Hunting/Fishing/Camping Store's