An inexpensive DIY grow light

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by StuntShine420, May 11, 2008.

1. That is one sick setup, i need something like this for when i start growing soon. +rep man, very helpful post.

2. Thanks guys! I really never thought my little homemade grow light would be this popular, I'm really glad I can help inspire some new ideas. Keep Growin'

Peace

3. Not true, there is a bomb ass grow somewhere on these forums using solely cfls, one of the nicest i've seen.

Nice looking light set up man, I'm having some light issues myself, I need to work something out like that.

4. Nice custom design, can't find any of those double connectors anywhere in the UK though, which is a shame.

5. Scrog it low next time

6. Awesome light. I'm gonna build that this weekend. Thanks for posting this. +rep

7. I was thinking about SCROGing it but this plant was honestly an experiment until my auto blueberry kush seeds showed up, there's no point is trying to do it with these.

8. Im kinda horrible at wiring and this might seem like a really stupid question, but...

How do you connect the Y sockets and everything to that one power chord? I see that you hae the 2 lines from each bulb, but what are those 2 lines?

9. they are positive and negative wires. if you dont have any experience with wiring u may have some trouble but its not really that hard. the hardest is connecting them all to the power chord. i believe he spliced them in, meaning cut the power chord, spread out the positive/neg wires inside and wrapped the CFL's wires around them. then get some heat shrink stuff to seal it (i forgot what its called).

IM GETTING THE SAME AUTO BLUEBERRY KUSH SEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im growing for seeds the first time, gonna leave the best male livin with the females. $85 for 10 is too much!

10. I use cfl's as well and 2700K Soft White Bulbs are Red Spectrum like HPS and Daylight 6500K are Blue Spectrum and if you want a really cool set up for cheap check this thread out

Compact - Floro + No Contact with a Grow store=3/4oz or more per week!!! \t\t\t([​IMG] 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

11. how r the lights plugged in? what kind of adapters do u have on them?

12. really good improvisaion. i might think about knoking one up

defo + rep to you

13. I just finished one of these up a few minutes ago. Works like a charm .. only made a 4 bulb version for my clone box.

The lights didn't line up because this was originaly an 8 bulb build for my main veg box. I changed my setup had to redesign it to fit.

soft white bulbs are only in there until I can run buy more day whites.

DSC00235.jpg
    OFF

DSC00236.jpg
    ON! Look at the color patches from the bulbs. I think that looks pretty sweet. :p

On a side note. Let me shed some light to anyone building one of these .. PLAN IT WELL. It's pretty easy to make .. just takes some time and it's actualy pretty tedious to make it look nice. I cut some corners and thats why there are butt connectors and split wires out the side. Got sick of trimming and hiding the wiring.

But yea .. just make sure you wire each light individualy to the main chord or they won't fire up. That was my mistake.

14. Hey stunt good job the only suggestion I have is I see you are right on your carpet. I would measure your floor space inside the frame and cut a piece of 1/4 inch plywood to fit it then get some weldwood contact cement from home depot and glue your mylar to the plywood for your floor. That will also reflect light back up under your plants and protect your carpet. Again good job!

15. I'm looking into doing one of those for my cloning room but I have literally no clue how to wire these at all...Anyone able to explain maybe a bit more how to do this? Sorry I know i'm a complete noob when it comes to wiring ect.

16. lol .. on the carpet? i'm growing upside down? that was just for the pic. the light is now hung. enjoy!

DSC00239.jpg

edit: just put that cab together 2 days ago. waiting on mylar/my new light before i finish it up

left to right: Purps1, Love Potion, Purps2. LP is a week ahead but all 3 are 2 days new to the bucket.

17. Lol, I think the comment was directed towards stuntshine420 becuase in his 2nd picture he is showing his room and the bottom is carpet. But it wasn't too far off of you to guess it was you cuz you did just post a picture of yours on carpet, or I could be wrong who knows:p

18. :smoke::smoke::smoke: to blame for that. i'm laughing and that was worth it.

19. DSC00235-ICANPAINT.jpg

Hope this helps. I tried to make it pretty clear .. at least as much as mspaint will allow.

20. [​IMG]

what do you think, built it today. i also ran all the wire through the pvc its pretty clean, i just need to build a reflector