an ethical dilemma

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by collegetoker, Apr 19, 2008.

1. i was checking my grades and saw that my professor had given me 75% on a pretty big presentation that i never did.

it was a group presentation as part of an overall project, of which i only did the written part alone since i missed the classes. and coincidentally he gave me 75% on that as well.. soo, the only thing i can think is that maybe he was going through his list, saw that i had a grade for the written but not the presentation and maybe thought he forgot to put something?

either that or he gave it as pity for doing the written part by myself which i doubt..

so the ethical dilemma i am facing is if i should bring this up to my professor (classes are over now)? if i end up losing the 8%, i won't fail or anything but it does help bring up my grade.

the main reason i'm thinking about bringing it up is if incase he sees the mistake by himself it would look bad on my part.. not really an ethical reason itself but still.. any advice?

2. If this is really the biggest dilemma youre facing, we really need to switch lives. Oh, and this goes in General (unless your profes. is God)

3. i didn't say anything about the biggest dilemma, it's just one ethical dilemma i wanted opinions on... i posted here because it's spirituality and philosophy

4. Ethics are important in philosophy. Look at Socrates...

5. I have a question for you: do you feel like you're harming anybody by not telling him?

6. take the free grade, u wont get too many so enjoy the few free things in life that normally require work when u can

7. well if you insist that your problem is a philosophical one, then lets evaluate it with a few different moral theories

Util: Do you feel its in everyones best interest to tell him/not to tell him?
    Kant: Are you using him as an end to your means? (I.e. are you using him without his consent?)
    DCT: Would god allow/forbid it?
    Objec: Is it in your own best interest to tell him?

There are many moral theories to decide ones ideals, which one do you agree with?

8. well i wanted to keep it more based on just natural thought because i know it is unethical already.. if you want to analyze theories then..

under the utilitarian.. it's not really in the best interests of everybody because the unfair advantage places me in a higher grade bracket then alot of others
    under kant it's unethical because it doesn't have universal acceptability, nor am i acting out of duty and it also goes against reason
    not familiar with 'dct' but don't believe in god

i guess egoism is the only acceptable one..
    it's not that this really bothers me even, i'm just wondering if someone in the same situation would take advantage or do you have certain morals that would prevent you from doing so?

9. i dunno if this has been mentioned

but he could have given someone else a 0 instead of you for the presentation that never got done, like the person below you in the grade book, if that makes any sense.

thats the unethical thing, is letting someone else take the bad grade for your mistake when you didnt do it

10. well if thats they way you are wanting to look at it then the above poster was right, this thread does not belong here

11. Honesty, integrety, and character are always a good practice.