an epiphany of sorts...

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by doctorgreen, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Let me know what you guys think of this...
    I had an idea as I was on a cigarette break at work. It's only June, and I noticed that the afternoon sun seems to have an orangish glow to it. This gave me an idea that I had never read about or tried (probably because I don't have an hps and always had good enough results from mh alone), but what if instead of mh for vegging out, and hps for buds, you used mh for 9 hours, switched to hps for 9 hours, then 6 hours darkness for veg. Then the same deal for flowering: 6 hours mh, 6 hours hps, 12 hours darkness?????? The whole idea is to hoo-phink the plants into thinking it's outside in nature right? The early morning and afternoon sun is always brighter. As the days rolls on into evening, the sun takes on a more red spectrum. Rather than use BOTH lights at the same time, switch them like this. Has anyone ever heard of this idea before? Would it make much difference, or is this a rather irrelevant idea? Let me know what yinz guyz think....:ey:

2. that does sound interesting. you figure they get more blue spectrum during the morning/early afternoon and more red spectrum during the late afternoon/evening. Let me know how it works out if you try it :)

3. i'd like to hear more thoughts on this.

my first impression is that the plant makes better use of the respective spectrums for it's specific phase of life .. so the idea would prove unique but unfruitful