An argument that we are alone in this infinite universe

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by WeedMongerer, Feb 5, 2014.

1. #21 Timesplasher, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014

Im talking about everything relevant to life on earth and the earth itself. 

2. Yeah but what im saying is in laboratories you people test how chemicals react with each other and every living thing needs certain chemical reactions to take place to say digest food, send signals with neurons etc
    maybe life is only capable on planets with similar properties to earth because only these chemical reactions enable life

what i said at the end tho is maybe under different pressures and temperatures you can get similar reactions with chemicals that arent capable of doing it on earth, but that is just science fiction for now

3. Why does no one ever consider the possibility that we are first? There has to be some alien being out there that became intelligent first. That could be us or maybe we are too far away from the other intelligent life for them to come here. If the Universe is so big and intelligent life is so rare then intelligent life could be scattered all over. 

Also there is nothing saying that the intelligent life has to be the same size as us. They could be ant size living on some far away world and they are too small to ever having any hope of leaving the home world.

We don't know the specifics of the chemical reactions that are needed for life though, we have a good idea but still aren't fully known.. but I get what you're saying, sometimes I wonder if there is only one ingredient that is needed for life to appear.. like water or light. Even then, to try and argue that we're alone isn't logical seeing as there are more than likely an infinite amount of planets out there similar to Earth.

I think lots of people automatically consider us the first, but I find it unlikely.. I do agree on the potential size of other life. With an infinite universe with infinite possibilities, there's a possibility that there is a moon out there that is the size of our solar system or even bigger, which happens to be the smallest moon in a galaxy far far away. Life in that galaxy would be insanely huge..

5. Yeah out of the entire universe we definetly arent alone, i just think maybe a few planets per galaxy have life

6. OP is kind of diluted. It's plain silly to think that we're alone. Nowadays, people are crazy to NOT think there's alien life

7. Intelligent life? No. I'd say 1 out of 100 galaxies. If life anywhere from a 1 cell organism yeah.

8. problem solving intelligence has evolved in several different species on earth, any other planet with life would probably have some sort of intelligence after 3 billion years of evolution

9. If a star collapses into a supernova life is theoretically inevitable. The stars are composed of nitrogen oxygen carbon helium and some other bs. These are the basic building blocks of life. Everything were made of came from stars. The iron in the hemoglobin in our blood is the same iron that floats in space. Now that I'm done I have no idea what I'm replying to so I have to apologize if it threw this topic off kilt

Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

10. Mybe the universe being so big and almighty, decided to swallow us through a blackhole, that just spits us on the otherside, so virtualy while we are now in out godknows how many times phase of been swallowed, that when any other life goes to find us, weve just gone through this loophole on the otherside....