An aeration heads up

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Sativa Scotty, Mar 21, 2015.

1. I have soil cooking for April/may start.
    It's the ITG sticky beginners mix.
    1/3 compost
    1/3 peat
    1/3 perlite

The compost is 50/50 Malibu BU & agrowinn EWC. This is a great soil and my trial plant is a healthy vigorous lady. Absolutely no added nutes or teas. However...

I had trouble accessing neem so I just got it and decided to dump my buckets onto a tarp and mix it in. I discovered NOT ENOUGH AERATION!! Somebody here awhile back, Wak? Poke? Warned that the compost was good but pretty heavy & 1/3 aeration might not be enough. Boy were they right! The pots were suspiciously heavy and holding way too much water. I'll mix in more perlite and reload my containers.

To sum up: 1/3 aeration may not be enough depending on what compost you use

2. Here is my trial plant growing healthy in this soil. It had more perlite for reasons I can't remember, thus saving me from potential problems ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1426893062.727796.jpg
    Here she is in just a 3 gal pot. 2 weeks in flower

3. Agreed, 1/3 is just a starting point. It's a hands on judgment that you just have to work with while mixing. 

4. Can't wait to move...I wanna get my outdoor grow on. Your remaining plant looks good.

5. I personally dropped peat in favor of coco for this very reason :)

6. #9 Kesey, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  7. No soil at the moment...I just packed up my current grow room and dumped the soil in the vegetable garden. I am looking forward to moving back to my home state PA and getting my outdoor grow on, just not looking forward to the humidity.