Amusing Ourselves To Death

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dubaba, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Its a combination of both Im afraid.

2. Definitely a combination of both seeing how there are people who are awake and people who are asleep.

3. oh my god. Thanks for this photo

4. ^ Hah, I didnt even know there was a full version of it

5. Good shit man. Good shit

6. Well I think as the dollar loses its status of being a reserve currency within the next decade or so then the "brave new world" will cease to exist. We'll be left with Orwell's Oceania dystopia and the full force of the state, bereft of most modern comforts we have come to expect from life.

The "brave new world" created by an artificially inflated dollar is just a distraction.

7. The obvious answer is to turn off your computer :)

8. What's the question?

9. lol ya bunch of hypocrites, smoking weed and posting on GC all day :p

10. hnahha..you are right ...

11. discussing the important issues though ;)

much different from twitter telling people all the unimportant shit im doing

12. True, I agree with you there, but I think we're all guilty of "amusing ourselves to death".

13. Hell yeah, right when I get home I like to escape the shit reality inside some video games lol

14. Isn't that kind of the point of life though? I mean there obviously isn't one set goal but having fun is high up on the list. Smoking weed, playing video games, and hanging with friends and family is time well spent in my opinion.

15. Sounds like a good way to die. Too bad it's unproductive and leaves us vulnerable to abuse.

16. There's an entire book on this subject that goes by the same name as this thread. Read it if you haven't.

17. The comic in the OP refers to the book.

18. Whats the book called?

19. Check the end of the comic posted in the OP.

"Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business" by Neil Postman