Amsterdam Laws.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Portface, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Me and a few friends are meant to be heading there in May 2011, heard rumours that the laws are changing in the new year so just wondered if anybody knew more than me about the situation, had a look around the internet but can't find anything.

2. I've heard through a friend that the Dutch are only
    allowing Dutch citizens to purchase cannabis now.

I only heard it through a friend so I am unsure about
    how accurate this is.

3. I was there in October and everything was cool. Bought some silver s5 for 14 euro and it was the best weed ive ever smoked. Didnt feel burnt out or anything after. Theres virtually no cops in the city and you can pretty much do whatever you want. You could take a hit from your bowl at night while your walking down the street. It smells like weed everywhere anyways and no one will stop you. You will be free for once in your life.

4. If they only let Dutch Citizens purchase cannabis they would see a steady decline in tourism.

5. Well, they are definitely considering making laws that say
    only residents of the Netherlands can buy pot.

They say the tourism industry is responsible for the high
    crime rate in the area.

6. Why are there no Dutch dudes on this forum, so they could tell us what's up. Hell, why are there NO Europeans besides whatever UKers?

Dumbass Europeans. I'm probably the only Finn on the whole forum. Pfft.

But I did a little research, and you'll need a Wietpas ("weed passport") only in Limburg. So this will most likely just be a nuisance to Germans living around the Rhine.

7. Why would Dutch people be on a "Legalization and Activism" forum?

8. There are a couple of Dutch people on here, and Pawlywog as well, an American living in Amsterdam.

As far as they've said there are no imminent plans to change the laws. Border towns are doing this, but at the moment it's down to the local councils, not the central government. And Amsterdam wouldn't voluntarily destroy one of it's main sources of income, drug tourism.

Don't worry dude, I'm sure all will still be fine in May next year. Enjoy! It's a fucking awesome place!

9. Be careful though. Amsterdam has a ridiculous amount of petty crime.

Muggings and robberies of tourist is very high.

When I was there muggers were all over the place.

Never go out late at night. There are Morroccan gangs that
    will steal your money and stab you.

10. Scaremongering.

Just keep your wits about you and act street smart and you'll be fine. Don't be walking off down any badly lit streets or anything.

Amsterdam is no more violent than any other large European city, which makes it safer than most large American cities.

Pickpockets I will agree with you though, watch your stuff.

11. Are you kidding me? Muggers are everywhere in that city. It has to do with the country's
    lenient policy on immigration. For a while Islamic extremism was on the rise in that country.

Dutch women would get attacked for walking down the street without a head covering.

Even other Dutchmen were telling me that the crime problem is worse there than any
    city in Europe. And I believe it. The first time I went to Amsterdam I was there with a friend, and some guy walked up and put a knife to his throat and demanded money.

But I was there back in the early 2000s so it might have changed by then.

I've been approached to get mugged many times in that city. The crime is worse when you are there off season, because the criminals are not making as much money.

12. First hand experiences differ then mate. I've been 5 times and never even been approached, or seen any violence of any kind.

They cracked down and cleaned up the Centrum in the last 5 years or so, clearing out a lot of the gangs in the red light district etc. and it's now far more heavily policed than it used to be.

I certainly have never felt threatened in Amsterdam, day or night, stoned, drunk or sober.

13. Well I guess things are different now.

Thank goodness.

14. I went in april 09 and had a blast. Stoned everyday, such an interesting city! Museums are primo! Never was approached by muggers or got pickpocketed as far as I know :p

15. Haha wtf are you talking about? Look at the crime statistics in Amsterdam and compare them to for instance NYC. I feel very safe here. I'm 20 years old, live in what we consider a rough neighbourhood and have only been robbed twice in my whole life, and never with a weapon. I've also been to Amsterdam at least 10 times and have never ever been mugged. One time I stayed there for a month and felt very comfortable walking around the city center even late at night.

16. Well you had a very different experience than me. Every time I went there between 2000 and 2003 I had to deal with muggers and robbers.

They don't have guns there, but they do have knives.

17. That might explain it. I was 10 in 2000, so getting high in Amsterdam wasn't a big priority for me. :D
    First time I very consciously went there was probably in 2005.

18. One time a hot girl raped me while i was in the city centre, good thing i had my rape whistle or those islamic guys wouldnt have saved me. :)