Amoril's Medicine Cab - Master Kaze - Test Grow for MNS / Shantibaba

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by amoril, May 25, 2009.

1. #21 amoril, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    ok, quick update.....no pics, because I havent unpacked the camera yet. Im a lazy bastard.

anyhow, the plants are developing nodes at the same pace. I topped them all at 4 nodes above the cotyledons, and no plant had more than 4 developed nodes. So, that was even. height is fairly uniform, with 1 fairly tall, 1 just behind it, 7 almost identical, 1 slightly short, and the tiny one.....the first node and cotyledons are maybe 1 millimeter apart, and only a couple mm of the soil.

2 plants were showing the beginning of a yellow tint on the cotyledons, so i started a tiny tiny dose of nutes. 0.6ml/gallon of floranova grow. Thats the smallest amount I am able to measure, and Im not too worried about that being able to burn the babies ;)

-----------

The plant I had a pic of earlier, the bagseed with the unique aroma, has been harvested. Since there were more than one desirable observable traits, I decided to attempt a reveg on her. I left about 10-15 percent of the lowest buds on the plant, cut the root ball back and re-potted her. Hopefully that will take off in a few weeks, and we'll see where it goes from there. I actually took clones of this plant, but killed them when I got the test beans, to conserve space. Aint that a kick in the arse...lmao.

2. Welcome back... hope it was a good trip. Now hurry up and unpack!! ricard0 said he wants to see some pics right quick... so chop-chop. :D

btw. sucks you had to let go of those clones, but hopefully the plant re-veges well for you... she was a looker for sure.

3. Wow, you topped your plants? I think I just found the answer to my question as to what I'm going to do then. Your cab is slightly smaller than mine, but I'm only growing 6 plants. I was worried about the plants branching out too much and not being able to fit in there.

I was going to do them tree-style, but I actually like topping, more bud sites that way. I'm just nervous about space constrictions. Mine are a little further along than yours, and are getting closer to be put in flowering. Too late to top? Then again, I topped my plants last time once they were in flower cuz they were just getting too tall , haha. Had to do something. I tied 'em down too :p

4. thank you, it was a great trip.

Ric's panties are just gonna have to get bunched up, cause I found the camera, but now I dont want to take pics :devious:

and the re-veg, well, Im feeling good about it at least. I cut a little more of the roots off than I would have initially wanted to, but for some reason Im feeling ok about it at the moment. Nothing visible to make me think she wont pull out of it.

IMO, if you can fit the branch in there, then go for it. My canopy in flower is weak compared to some Ive seen around, but even in mine there is a lot of touching of budsites...I dont have a problem with it so long as air is moving around nicely enough.

I usually top, and supercrop / pinch later in flower....but these Kazes are going to get a nice long veg, so Im planning to do it a lil more proper. Probably end up topping in phases, and tying some branches down...somethign I dont do much of lmao.

if you need a good canopy reference shot, to see how crowded you can get, I recommend smoove's journal. not only are the pics stellar, the canopy is stupifying for 1 plant...

5. Wow, i don't stop by for a few, and now i'm wearing panties and making requests i don't recall.......... requesting. Oooooooo K.

Wait a sec......... had to adjust my tampon. LOL

Now that your back, hurry up and get back to work. lmao

6. My plants are of varying heights between 5 1/2 - 9 1/2 inches, which is excellent for what I'm intendeding to do, a rotating flowering room. I figure I'll put 1 plant in flower every 10 days, I prefer a nice steady harvest, over all of it at once.

How tall were yours when you topped them? I'll be inducing flowering by the time they're 12" tall. I was considering topping my 9 1/2" female now and let her grow another week or two (while I wait for my flowernig ferts to arrive in the mail) and stick her in flower as soon as I can. She's growing about 1/2" a day pretty steady so I'm hoping they get here kinda fast. I have exactly 36" (3') of vertical growing room until they hit the no fly zone under my HPS - 8" under my lights where my temps hit 83ish.

I just don't know how they'll react to it. I can deal with a little bit of bushy-ness, but I'm in a restricted space =/

7. had to emphasize your acknowledgement of the status quo.....:D

And, as ordered, Im returning to work! Get off my back man!

--------

HighOnTheHill, Mine were between 3" (the runt) and ~6" when I topped them. Already, theyre ranging closer to the 4-5" (runt) to pushing 9" on the tallest one.

My piece of advice here would be that if youre going to top the first one into the box, maybe top off a full node more than you normally would, and then veg it for a week or two. IME, topping right before flowering has led to serious stretching upon the flip....a slight veg time to setup the new colas has been effective at evening this out for me.

--------

pics

1 - group shot, re-veg in the front corner.
    2 - a little blurry, but this is my early bet on the most indica of the bunch. the leaves are more fat than they look in the pic....
    3 - typical leaf. This is the middle of the road plant IMO...
    4 - one of the 2 bushiest so far. These are also the tallest two, although this is not the tallest one.

Attached Files:

8. As soon as you toss me a banana. Ooh ooh, aah ahh.

Those MKaze's are looking nice and healthy. Have you still just got the CFL's rockin', or are those in addition to the HID... I can't see? Disco Stu... smokes joints of two. <-- don't ask, sometimes my fingers don't follow orders.

It's odd that you mention your experience that topping right before 12/12 causes stretch. I had the same and the opposite happen. I topped a NL 4 days before "the switch" and wound up with four plumb-sized nugs all packed at the top together. They never stretched at all to speak of. Of course, i had a bit more than 600w of CMH+CFL+UVB keeping them pretty tight on the node side of things. On the other side of the creek, My purp (topped many times) proceeded to stretch like Plastic Man after "the switch". Go figure. Hard to compare the two strains though as NL#5 is advertised as 100% indica, and my purp is obviously sativa dominant.

Where's my banana? Ooh ooh, ahh ahh! :D

9. Ill get you a banana....and, still CFLs only. Plan is to get the 150 in there in the next few days.

And yeah, on the stretch in flower, I should have thought outside the box a lil. My experience hasnt been completely how I mentioned I suppose....as soon as you mentioned those plumb nugs, I remembered some I had shaped like fat thumbs on freshly topped nodes....go figure. the stretch I was thinking about was bad, like 5-6 inches between nodes. not a healthy stretch, but the more I think about it, its not a "rule of thumb" or anything....very strain dependent.

10. Everythings starting to take shape and look good bro...

How long you veggin for this time around???:smoke:

11. #31 amoril, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2009
    Theyre 29 days into the cycle of life....still no complaints or issues :D

They were dosed theyre second feeding tonight, and this one will start the more-regular feeding schedule. 1.2ml/gallon this time around.

pic 1 is the shorty, first to pop the soil...just a side shot showing that its practically branching from the dirt....kinda hard to water LOL.

pic 2 is the "scimitar" leaf plant mentioned earlier. Oddly enough, the new growth still represents the curve at the end, but only on one side of the plant. Kinda cool IMO.

pic 3 is a little blurry, but its just a leaf shot of the fattest leaves of the bunch. Should be able to make it out through the fuzziness...

pic 4 and 5 are just random leaf shots, to show some of the different expression. No plant is photographed twice as far as I can remember....

pic 6 is a shot of some upper-growth. Most of the plants resemble this growth pattern.

---------

edit :: The plant that I was re-vegging, has been aborted/abandoned. What I was anticipating to be some interesting smoke, ended up being something that I find to have a repulsive taste. I had 2 females, from the same bud, and both tasted this way, and neither tasted like the bud they came from LMAO.

I know it'll get better with a cure and such, but it cant improve enough IMO. My girl kinda liked the taste....but she doesnt smoke that much, and it wasnt her favorite either. IMO, it tastes like grapefruit / bile. I know thats a weird connection, but in my messed up sensory system, those two have some weird association, and I cant stand grapefruit. The smoke leaves a sensation in my mouth that reminds me of both of those two...

-------
    edit deuce

man, I must be more stoned than I thought, keep forgettin shit....

the 150w HPS has been added into the veg apparatus. On thursday, the UVB lights start getting phased in.....Ill detail the new light setup when I add the last piece in a couple days. Currently getting 150w sodium + 156w 6500k cfl...been that way for 2 days now.

Attached Files:

12. #32 ricard0, Jun 17, 2009
    I'm seriously considering the ~6 billion it costs for a black market matter transporter. Just gotta catch Stephan Hawking on a good day. Sure would make life easier. LOL

I want MKaze now. What's the deal already? LOL

Please allow me to point out once again, just how healthy the girls are looking. Spot-on with you nutes so far.

How tall are they? If i had to guess, i'd say ~12".

Good luck with your progress.

EDIT: Here's hoping you get one stinky, virile male in the bunch.

13. #33 amoril, Jun 17, 2009

thanks man. Im planning on a longer veg, but the timeframe is a little uncertain. Depends on when the flower cab has more space lol. My guess would be a minimum of 56 days...because I want to veg them for a week under the big light :D I may not if they get big enough beforehand though...

very kind of you.

I do feel like I got a little of the luck on my side with the nute timing so far, its been real light, but about as good as I could ask for IMO.

height....I measure from the cotyledon, not the soil. So, there's a variable from 1/4 inch (the shorty) to maybe 1.5-2 inches range that isnt included in these numbers...

also, because it works better for some of the comparisons / charts im keeping, I use metric measures...

they range from 15cm to 19.5cm, and with a total of between 6-8 nodes straight up. All plants were topped at 4 nodes, so some have fully developed only 2 nodes, but some have developed theyre 4th past the top.

the range of growth past the topping is 5cm to 10cm on the plant with 8 nodes...but, its not the tallest. It is the widest branches of the bunch though....

-----------

since I have the notebook out, here's my early favorites, for anyone keeping track.

MK2 - also known as scimitar.

MK3 - almost looks like female preflowering. Also appears the most true hybrid of the group, very tall and branchy, its also the one in the blurry pic above with the fat leaves LOL. already a nice sparkle under a 10x magnification, have a feeling its going to be a resin monger.

MK5 - early guess here is male preflowers. A spicy / piney scent. Probably the strongest, most consistent odor of the bunch in that its been spicy in every time I recorded LMAO. most of the plants have been giving me different impressions each time I sniff.

MK6 - Not the shorty, but the most compact. only 15cm from the cotyledon, but it edges the shorty out just slightly because of the pre-coty growth. No preflowers yet, but its the first to alternate nodes, so it shouldnt be long.

MK8 - early preflower guess is female. this one's only 13.5cm above the coty, but only 6 nodes up as well, so not the most efficient of the bunch.

MK10 - By far the branchiest, the 8-noder. Sativa appearance on the leaves, relative to the group and not as a general statement, as in its not a pure haze pheno LOL. Fast growth though, and a sweet scent, with a touch of something citrus. Very even node spacing as well....this is the frontrunner for my favorite.

MK11 - Again, more of the sativa look to the leaves. A spicy/peppery/piney scent, depending on the day.

so, my initial guess / rank is ::

MK10
    MK3
    MK11
    MK6.

and, I guess MK2 gets the wild card. I like the oddity factor, and it seems vigorous enough, so it may be something interesting, we'll have to see.

14. Tonights update will just go over the plan for the rest of veg, as everything should be in place now.

First, feeding is going to start 3 on 1 off schedule. I fed nutes last water, but tonight I fed only water and they look like they could have taken nutes, so from here on out its the "constant" feed. 1.2ml initially, then 2.5ml per gallon after a week or two. When I reach this stage though, Ill probably do 1.2ml grow + 1.2ml bloom nute (veg is 7-4-10 and bloom is 4-8-7)

------------

About 1/2 the plants are showing the early preflowers now. So far, the split is fairly even, maybe 1 more potential male than female at this point, but still several left completely indeterminate. Only one conclusive male and female, each.

Once all plants show sex, Im going to transplant to 2-2.5gallon of soil, in 3gal growbags. I dont like them to be full ;) Depending on the number of females, Im keeping either 1 or 2 males alive, for procreation purposes.

Upon transplanting, I intend to start tying some branches down. I would do it now, but the canopy is already too full to add more growth, without first removing some (ie males).

-----------

And finally, the lighting. The initial switch of some cfls for HPS has led to a little stretching, but nothing serious. To counter this, Ive added the light back in, but with UVB this time.

So, the schedule is ::

150w HPS + 104w 6500k cfl on for 19 hours 40 minutes.
    52w 6500k cfl + 52w 5500k UVB 10.0 on for 6 hours in the direct middle of the photoperiod.

That hopefully wont change until within the last week of the vegetative cycle. So, should be good for at least the next 3 weeks, maybe up to 5.

15. Hey amoril, good to hear about your genetic diversity. You'll no doubt have at least one good pair of parents eh?

Have you thought about BX-ing to refine/personalize your line? Play god as it were. Seems to be all the rage in breeding circles these days. I can't wait till i have the room to keep mothers for a few experiments. Of course, with MNS gear, it may not be necessary. LOL

I'm really pullin' for ya this round.

16. I have been considering a BX....not sure if I will with the Kaze or not though. Depends on what I get out of it I suppose....I have no idea what Im going to end up with yet. More than likely, Ill end up keeping 2 different males, and pollinate all the flowered females. The males will vary as much as possible, to try to preserve all of the potential traits. My instincts tell me that the plants are more likely to favor only a portion of the genetics in this 4-way polyhybrid. really, it just depends on what I get. If I end up with a male that packs on the resin....ya know?

But with the sensi star Ive got in the fridge, for example, BXing is definately more of a consideration, as there appears to be a couple of less occurring, but often desirable phenotypes (sativa OGRE, and squat + leafy lemony-fuel scented resin loaded indica pheno, which apparantly stands out from the other normal indica phenos).

In fact, im pondering a pollination into the desired pheno, a line-bred round or two, then a BX. Or maybe the use of two males into the select mother, and then blending those two lines, then a BX with the end product.....should yield similar levels of homogeneity, but might carry more of the "healthy" traits on dominant alleles.

I dont really have the space to get too much work done, but I can surely do 1 strain + a keeper or two at a time I think, With some luck, that could be enough for some cool hobby breeding...

17. Well, well. It sounds like you've put more than a little thought into the idea of a BC/BX/BackCross/however you denote it yourself. Kudos.

Although i've done a fair share of reading of the subject, i'm still not quite set on the intended results + how to get it there, but i've got a long way to go before i start any serious projects..... hopefully i'll have gotten a firm hold on the idea by then.

Good news. After 7, stressful days, 1 Black Widow is starting to break the surface. Only 7 more to go. It's the first sign of MNS life in my garden. Hip, hip, hooray. Hip, hip, hooray. After several hundred $$ on MNS gear, i'm relieved to finally see something crack. Now i can say that i'm running MNS as well. Woo hoo.

18. LOL, my growing since starting back up until recently was a BX. I decided to start back up when I bought a quarter of the best smoke I had ever had, and obtained 1 seed each from 2 of the 3 buds.

One seed didnt germinate, and the other was a male. I was devastated, but having been introduced to genetics through some biology work in the past, I said fuggit, and grew out a TON of random brickweed seeds I had around. Picked a mother, and dusted the shit out of her. Ive still got a couple hundred of those seeds LMAO, and a load of pollen in the freezer from the male.

The downsides are, the initial mother ended up being a late-intersexer, and a majority of the pollen is no longer viable (it didnt hit the freezer immediately, my bad). So, although Ive still got a load of pollen, the subsequent BXs were getting more laborious than they were worth, both generations were presented with the same re-application of late-flower pollen, and the fact that the brickweed mother plant wasnt all that good....just mexican commercial. btw, im only through the second BX when I gave up.

Some of the plants ended up being pretty good, but some were less than stellar. You can definately see a lot more in common in the second generation than the first generation, but still not close to how I remember the plant I smoked...I guess the male I have is NOT a good representation of the mother, or at least thats the conclusion Im coming to. I may pick it back up at some point.....but what is more likely now that Im working with "real" genetics, is that I may end up dusting the remaining pollen on a select few females in the future, and see if I dont get lucky. Im sure most of the pollen is sterile, but there's gotta be a little thats still viable.

----------------

man, good luck on that Black Widow. Im just as relieved as you are that one popped the surface, cause I imagine my BW replacements are the same batch as yours lmao. We probably had similarly dated bad batches even LMAO. btw, im 0/13 with 4 or 5 to go on the "bad" batch. Im giving them a full 21-28 days to attempt to germinate. At this point, I lose nothing by trying lol.

But seriously, Im glad s/he's up and around. Hopefully the others fall in shortly, and you can start showing me what to expect with the BW.

19. #39 amoril, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
    Not a whole lot tonight....

theyre now 5 weeks old. And really starting to get big quick.

I topped the two tallest branches on each of the 11, for a total of two toppings per plant. Ill get the other branches, 2 at a time, every other feeding to keep the canopy even.

Also, because preflowering is become difficult, Ive knocked the photoperiod from 19:40 to 18:00. See if I cant distinguish some females in a few days....as of now, only one plant has confirmed sex either way, and luckily she's a lady.

the pics :

1 and 2 - canopy shots. Still all 11, but its a tight fit these days. As soon as I find the ladies, im transplanting up, and spreading the canopy a bit.

pic 3 - MK10, the first confirmed female. As you can see, its fairly branchy, and recently topped. not a whole lot else to observe here....so move along. :smoke:

Attached Files:

20. AND THEN THERE WERE 7

so, for tonights update, just a quick run down of whats been happening.

6 weeks since germ started, I have 3 confirmed females, 3 that Im almost sure are female, and 5 that Im pretty sure are male.

The 3 confirmed females have been transplanted into 3gal growbags, and the plants trimmed back substantially. Im still looking at a 2-3 week remainder on veg, so might as well backtrack some and fill out the canopy more.

the three unconfirmed females remain in their 1gal homes until they show definitive pistils...shouldnt be much longer I hope.

of the 5 males, 1 was selected as the "Pollinator"....the "Scimitar" if you will...MK2.

Of the 11 plants, 2 have ridiculously hollow stems, with a substantial odor to boot....MK9 (confirmed female) and MK2...the male. #2 also looks like its going to be a resiny male, so hopefully it works out nicely for some MKaze f2s.

-------

on a side note, the 150w HPS has been removed. It wasnt working as ideally as the CFLs, so we're back under 168w 2700k + 104w 6500k constant and 52w uvb + 52w 6500k on a 6hr burst in the middle. Excessive stretching has stopped...lmao.