Amnesia the dark descent

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by klabboy, Apr 7, 2013.

1. I dont normally play scary games but i decided to try slender when a friend suggested it to me. Scared the shit out of me but i enjoyed it. Sooo i heard that amnesia is a terrifying game but since slender made it kind of hard to sleep i'm afraid i wont get any sleep playing amnesia. So how does slender and amnesia compare? Which is more scary.

2. Its a different type of scary. Slender is more of a pop out 'oh shit' game, while Amnesia is a game bent on progressively making you more scared with what you cant see, or by using what you hear. Personally I dont get scared easily but Slender surprised me more than Amnesia scared me

3. #3 Subliminal Jazz, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
    whats up fellow arizonian!

mehhh

depends what you're afraid of and what gets your blood pumping.

i personally didn't really like amnesia. it was good at first, really enticing story. but halfway through you find yourself doing the same shit over and over and over.

like for example, there's a door you need to get through - first you need to find the crank for the door, then you find the crank - but then you realize the crank is stuck on something so you have to position these weights perfectly in order to get the crank to move. after you FINALLY spend 30 mins to an hour, you open the door. then your in another room with a locked door or path and you have to find MORE clues and jump through even more hoops. this goes on for the entire game.

the worst part is - there's only ONE enemy you see the whole game. this ruined it for me. it could have been so much better, but instead every monster looks EXACTLY the same. not to mention their pretty fucking stupid. alls you have to do to evade them is walk into a room, close the door and crouch in a corner like a puss. eventually they'll disappear in thin air or slobber on themselves in a corner somewhere.

the sound effects, the gfx and music is the only things i think was spot on in amnesia. everything else was cheesy and boring.

but then again, i thought slender man was fucking stupid as well so who knows. maybe you'll love it.

4. Amnesia is better than Slenderman. Get stoned and play amensia and just lose yourself in the game it's pretty intense. Not to mention the mods you can download too there's one set in a mental hospital i've just downloaded. It looks really good

5. You can't really compare the two of them OP. The Slenderman series are good simple little fun games, whilst Amnesia is a survival horror experience.

Both games are pretty good in the atmosphere department, but personally I prefer Amnesia, for its sound effects and how immersive it gets.

If you do decide to try Amnesia, it has a lot of content for it. There's the main story itself but then there is literally hundreds of custom stories for you to play, so the game has a lot of longevity.

Here are some of the best one's.

Mental Memorial mod for Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Mod DB

White Night mod for Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Mod DB

La Caza - Custom Story download - Mod DB

Amnesia is basically how all the good survival horror games were, back in the PS1 + PS2 days.

This isn't only one enemy in the game, that is a false statement. There's the basic grunts, the water monster and the monster from the Justine DLC, I realize that isn't a lot, but Amnesia is more about atmosphere than monsters.

How was it cheesy?

6. The guy who just talked mad shit on Amnesia is crazy

He obviously cant appreciate the game for what it is

It's developed by a small studio, it cant be perfect

Take it for what it is

Its extremely eerie and exhilirating

The environments are awrsome

Sound is great

Story is great

And you can play custo stories

Ive screamed out loud many times while playing Amnesia

7. 2 monsters in the original game. one of which is invisible. when you're playing a survival horror game in a castle with a man who tortured hundreds if not thousands of different people in different, menacing ways - and they couldn't think to add a couple extra models for the hell of it? aw hell naw. they broke rule number one in survival horror. which is to make the antagonist interesting.

how is it not cheesy is the real question.

-your guy breathes super heavily and starts to trip out in the slightest bit of darkness. after awhile your just like "ok dude...stfu"

- most of the game is a series of books and white flashes of "flashbacks" and your guy breathing even more heavily.

- i thought i'd be hiding in closets a lot, but i found that the monsters don't even spend all that long looking for you, sometimes they disappear after a minute or two all together

- and again, alls it takes for the monster to disappear or go drool in a corner is you just hide in the dark somewhere and look away. sometimes they could even be standing right next to, just as long as your standing in a dark corner or ontop of a box. they wont fuck with you.

- the puzzles are fun at first, but then they become repetitive. there's more "find this key or thing in order to open the next door" puzzles then you can shake a stick at.

i beat the game, played both endings. and kept an open mind through out the whole game. while it has quite a few strong points, like mainly the story and the music. but i was ultimately very dissatisfied with the ending. and this is coming from someone who LOVES indie games.

although i haven't tried the modded content. but i did have a bit of fun with justine though. that felt a lil bit more my pace.

its just my opinion man. i really wanted it to be what every says it is. i really did. i kept telling myself "okay, maybe after i open this next door something really crazy will happen or some crazy monster will pop out!" i was really hoping for a silent hill type adventure with weird and creepy monsters. i said that to myself through out the entire game.

i must say though, there where a couple times in the start of the game where i had those "oh shit" moments.

i was in a room, doing the usual look for journals and tinderboxes and any other crap you look for in the entire game. i had left the door open. as i had finished reading a journal entry the door i came in is closed and now there's something banging the shit out of it on the otherside. i hid next to a bookcase in a corner. moster smashes the door into peices and drags himself very slowly near the bookcase. music growing more intense each step he takes. but as soon as he gets next to the case. he turns around, and leaves.

but the thing is. that's as far as they take it. guys banging down doors and slowly walking around then eventually leaving if you don't stare at them and hide in a corner long enough.

8. i played slender after reading it here and damn that shit is scary at night with the lights off.

9. I hear that game is pretty scary I'll have to download it sometime

10. I see what you're saying, but Frictional Games is a small indie studio so in my opinion they did a good job with the monsters and that.

You've made all good points and I agree with some of them. The moments were you would breath heavily etc when you looked into the darkness were to do with you slowly going insane (like certain portraits turning creepy etc) I disagree that the flashbacks etc were cheesy as they were to do with the whole story of you having amnesia.

In my experience playing Amnesia though they did actively seek you out and there were some tense moments were I'd be hiding behind a barrel and they'd come right into the room and almost stare at you.

I only ever passed it once, I can't remember what ending I did.

You should really check out some of the modding content man, some of the stuff they do is insane.

11. Thats so much for the input guys. Its only a 20 dollar game might just skip buying a gram and save up for it. I played the demo and you get a taste of it. The first monster really scared the shit out of me. But then you go to the water monster part and it was scary but i just didnt live up to what people were saying of it. People were like "omg the water part is sooo fucking scary". I just thought it was moderately scary. I do think i'll give it a try and get high and play it. For how little it costs might as well give it a try.

12. I got amnesia while it was on sale for 5 dollars, amnesia is really good in scariness and storyline, also adds a tint of puzzle. I definitly recommend it if you like scary games. It being scary wise, it's more of it just being overwhelming and intense than pop outs, which I like better. There are some pop ups that'll make you sh*t bricks, for an example I ran out of latern oil once so I slammed a door open to try and find a candle, there was the monster standing right there and started chasing me which scared the sh*t out of me because it was unexpecting and it was dark. GET IT!