Ammonia smell when curing buds cracked

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Dangerstache, Nov 20, 2016.

1. i can't seem to get a definitive answer to this online, some say ammonia smell means it's curing properly. Others say it's mold. Here's what I did, appreciate your 2 cents.

Cut Sweet Tooth crop down at day 68 of bloom. Trichs half Amber half cloudy. I trimmed the big leaves and hung it upside down for 5 days and then meticulously trimmed the buds and cleaned them up nice nice.
    I then took the nugs and placed them in brown paper bags with layers of shredded bag inside and let them sit for 3-4 days until the stems were crackable.
    I then moved the buds into mason jars were they have been sitting in a dark 50-60% humidity basement for the last 2-1/2 weeks. I burped them everyday for the first week and noticed they were a tiny bit moist so I laid them out to dry for a few hours, then jarred.

Today, and for the last few days now I am getting a hint of what I can only describe as ammonia if I crack open the bud. It's not a mold smell, no visible mold either, but I don't remember smelling this on my first harvest.

Soooo, what's the deal? Is the ammonia smell the release of chlorophyll or some shit and I should wait another 2 weeks or is this crop ruined? Gets you high as hell, and has a smooth smoke to it, I just worry about resale of the nugs smell like ammonia.

2. "" some say ammonia smell means it's curing properly. Others say it's mold. ""
    never heard either one of these
    thought smell was from the terpenes in the weed
    some strains have it , some don't
    some strong , some weak

3. Guess I just don't remember smelling it in the last batch... The mystery continues

4. More or less this.....NEVER EXPERIENCED "ammonia smelling weed" myself so dunno what the culprit might be

5. some smells like pine , others cat piss , ammonia , dirt , blueberry , hay , diesel fuel , skunk .or other smells

• Like Like x 4
  6. Would the smell come from the final rinse, like not getting all the molasses out before uprooting the plant might cause that effect.

7. NO

8. OH WOW, OK