Ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ParanoiaKills, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Hey GC just wondering if everyone is going they the same crisis as Rhode Island is.

The local gun shop owners will refuse service to sell ammo, unless you make a big purchase on a gun, $500 or up

And warehouse stores like dicks sports and Walmart are COMPLETELY SOLD OUT

Lets discuss this blades. My main concern is, hitlers first step into leadership and communism was to publicize healthcare. His second step was to take away guns/ammunition. His third step was murder 10% of the country

I've only got 60 hollow points for my Glock .40. I'm now thinking of buying an HK MP5 A5 LR22

Thoughts? Comments?

2. These guys sound like assholes.

But I'm pretty sure its nationwide.
    Unless you know of some legit local suppliers and can get an order in right when they restock.

3. Yes they are assholes.

But, these guys cannot resupply, is what I'm being told. The ammunition they have now will be the only ammo they have anytime in the near future

So in a way you can't blame them, can't sell guns without bullets, right? But yes, they are assholes

4. Yes the problem is nation wide. Here in Cali every store that sells ammo has put limits on how many boxes you can purchase at one time. Online is a good place to find ammo but shipping it isn't cheap. I would recommend stay away from .22LR right now as that seems to be the hardest to find and if you do find it, it is way over priced. I saw a box of 325 rounds of .22lr that is normally $15 going for $50. Even the local shooting range will only sell ammo to ppl using the range and the ammo selection is not very big.

This all makes me mad that we the people are struggling to find ammo while the feds just bought up 1.6 billion rounds. Is that where it all went?:confused_2:

5. Yup. The government is buying very large amounts right now, crowding out private individuals. Hmm, I swear I've heard that before.

6. The real question we need to ask is why aren't these ammo companies pumping it out like crazy. Seems like a great time to make a boat load of money? Maybe someone made it more profitable not to....hmmmm...

7. I can get 2000 rounds of just about any caliber in a matter of hours. It's pricey as shit though.

8. They are operating at full capacity already. Companies can't just instantly expand their operations when confronted with high demand. It doesn't work like that.

9. There are bunkers full.of ammo.all.over the country owned by DHS

Not advocating anything illegal just heads up

10. I'm not sure how much of a dent the government has made in ammo availability, but I think we'd have a shortage issue whether they were buying any or not.

There are plenty of stores talking about how fast ammo is flying off their shelves, and that's not the government going in and buying all of Walmart's stock, that's private citizens buying up ammo like crazy because of all the gun control talk.

Gun sales are apparently at a record high, right now everyone wants assault rifles and lots of ammo. It's like trying to buy a Furby during the Christmas season in 1998. :p

11. call up your proud cummins diesel owner buddies. :D

12. Didn't read own links LOL

From the article

Hitler increased gun registration time to 3 years and banned Jews from owning guns.

So yea you can play the word game.all you want. TECHNICALLY hitler didn't do a gun grab and neither did Obama.

But over time you make it harder and harder to get guns and mixed bans end up making everyone an illegal.

Step one, make people afraid of crazy psychos
    Step two, ban guns from crazy people.
    Step three, fabricate new mental illnesses to apply to specific groups (yes that happened)
    Step four, make drug users ineligable
    Step five, make tons of shit illegal
    Step six, criminals can't get guns.

Pretty soon 80% of people wont be able to get guns and won't even know it.

You have a an outstanding parking.ticket sir sorry I can't sell you a gun....

Seriously all the statists in this forum forget that every single person on tthis forum who.smokes seed (99% of us) CANT GET GUNS.LEGALLY?

13. [quote name='"Lay Low"']

They are operating at full capacity already. Companies can't just instantly expand their operations when confronted with high demand. It doesn't work like that.[/quote]

Ahmm who is telling you they are operating at full capacity? Why did winchester just close 3 facilities if they are already having trouble with demand? Sounds like you have been watching cnn again. Most of these places can produce rounds in the million counts in a single day. They are more than adequately resourced to create a surplus if they wanted. So yeah, when you already have the infrastructure in place you can just "magically" produce more to meet demand. Kind of does really work that way :)

14. I like the salon article...

8th paragraph, first sentence:

Then he rambles about nonsense to discredit what he just said:

:laughing:

Gun control advocates aren't anti-gun, they just want to centralize gun ownership in the hands of costumed thugs working for the state. No thanks.

15. The government doesn't buy their ammo from retail stores. They just make contracts with the ammo manufacturers, thus reducing supply at the retail level for normal consumers. The gun control hysteria is a part of it also.

16. Oh wow, that Salon article keeps delivering!

I would have rather died in a shootout than starving to death. Sounds like Omer Bartov is a coward and a douche-bag.

17. No, it doesn't work that way, but I have zero interest in explaining it to you.

18. For one, I don't think one manufacturer closing three facilities is an indicator that no manufacturers are running at full capacity.

For two, I think we gotta remember that these are still businesses. I don't expect that they're going to create a surplus for the benefit of US citizens unless it would also maximize profits. A surplus means prices go down, means the company is potentially making less money than if they produced an amount that keeps ammo relatively available but high demand enough to be more expensive during a time of highly increased gun and ammo sales.

I'm not saying that's what is happening, I don't have an inside line to these businesses or anything. But it's something to consider. :confused_2:

Do we know for sure that the government buying ammo is actually leading to retailers getting less ammo though? Like I said, I think it's entirely possible that we'd be experiencing an ammo shortage given the current hysteria whether the government was buying lots of ammo or not.

19. This is what I am saying junkie. They have the means to produce more, but it isn't in their best interest to do so. You get it. Saying that they can't meet demand is just a scape goat.