Americans - what are you taught about Britain in school?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jumpfruit, Jan 29, 2014.

1. I don't know where all these blades went to school, but I learned quite a bit about the UK, and the rest of the world for that matter.

Learned about Romans in Britannia, Medieval relations between England, Wales, Scotland, and other European powers of the time, learned a LOT about British colonialism and trade especially with regard to India and China, learned a lot about industrial England, learned about the British role in WWI and WWII and the English welfare state following WWII, and the last thing I learned in school was about Margaret Thatcher and English conservatism.

I've done some free-time study of Irish-English relations, especially the events pertaining to the IRA, but nothing too serious.

Where US students learn the most about the UK is in Literature courses, but we still learn plenty about your history, but it's up to the student to remember the information.  :smoke:

2. What ever I've learned I've learned from watching absolutely fabulous. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. All I remember is the Boer Wars and the East India Trading company. My class fell really far behind the curriculum because my teacher wouldn't shut the fuck up about the Enlightenment and French Revolution.

Its all for naught, though, because in the States the only purpose of the information they "teach" us is to memorize it for when the standardized tests come in. And that right there is why the U.S. has some of the worst education in the developed world.

4. Europe is generally taught as a whole, what I've noticed is that Europe isn't broken down into individual countries, it's just kind of "gone over." I can tell you all sorts of stuff about US origins and history, but I hardly know anything about Europe besides the major events that the United states got involved in.On that subject, it's really interesting to hear from the foreign exchange students what they've been taught about us. Most of the time is the same story.Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk

5. What? No Monty Python, Fawlty Towers...anyone here remember  The Young ones?
    Check this out... you'll laugh in the first 30 seconds guaranteed!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JonKpMy5iDM

6. As a fan of the EPL ( CFC! ) I've had an opportunity to teach myself a lot more about England. Also I've taken a lot of British Literature classes. In my opinion superior to American Literature.

7. Hell yeah I love The Young Ones!

8. In high school we didn't learn about the UK at all, at least I don't remember

9. #49 SirOmniscient, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014
    Im surprised all hell didnt break loose up in this bitch yet

10. We view the UK like South America anything south of Texas is Mexico. As far as how we think of the people and culture you always hear you guys have terrible food and god awful teeth.Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

11. I took the american revolution in like 5 different grades. They didn't talk very much about the world, and definitely made it seem as if the united states is the center of the world. Seriously though they had so many american revolution classes. When we did learn about the rest of the world, it was all historical context. Nothing modern. Lots of ancient stuff. I have no idea what most people around the world are up too right now.

12. #52 MooseyPoo, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
    From middle-school, the only topic I remember them going over was the East India Trading Co. Most of my knowledge about the UK came from my AP government class, covered ~5th to ~18th centuries. The problem is that the curriculum (at least in public schools) is almost completely based on the state-wide tests. Higher test scores = better funding. One of the sections on the test is US History, so it's generally focused on more than the history of other countries.

I feel as though many confuse this for nationalism or something, like we purposefully don't study other countries, when in fact, at least from what I know it's only to prepare for those stupid ass state tests. :(

That about sums it up.

I always loved history as a subject, and British history is always interesting, but I was always more fascinated by the histories of other countries. Particularly America. I even took a course in uni on it. I also really dig Aussie history, and Japanese... and just about any history, anywhere and anytime.

14. American students-"what is a British?"

15. Who didn't?

16. But Yea , taxation , Boston tea party and massacre that's all I remember.

17. In Texas we have to take Texas history in college. It's fucking mandatory for your AAS, like , fuck you Texas ok

18. #58 Bill O'Really, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2014

None of my family or friends. They all cheered Tiocfaidh Ar La

19. [quote name="fearjar" post="19431238" timestamp="1391038985"]What? No Monty Python, Fawlty Towers...anyone here remember The Young ones?Check this out... you'll laugh in the first 30 seconds guaranteed!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JonKpMy5iDM[/quote]:D I've never seen The young ones. Funny! I'm going to look for that! Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Open up..it's the pigs! Fucking hilarious.... They are some old school British punks