American pitbull

Discussion in 'General' started by mcicotta, Dec 24, 2008.

1. So a friend of a friend of mine is leaving for iraq in about a month. He has a 1 year old american pitbull pure bread and well trained, he has spent alotof money on this dog to train it to be good around people and other animals, I live on a barn and we have alot of other dogs around, i would love to get this dog but i am worried about it with the other dogs because the other dogs can get very defensive , this guy keeps assuring me that he is amazing around dogs and gets along fine, if i dont take this dog from him he might put it down, what do you guys think should i get it?

2. all pit bulls aren't agressive monsters that just attack everything in sight

3. i'd get it man. Two of my friends i used to live with have pit bulls, and the dogs are brothers. They are the best dogs in the world. Some pits do get agressive around other dogs (one of the brothers does) but if this guy says he's good around dogs, i'd bring him to your place & see how he reacts around the other dogs first, if you can.

4. Ever watched dog whisperer on NGO? There are some amazing pit bulls in Caesar's pack :) One thing i've gleaned from the show though, is that you need to be able to control a dog with a strong personality or they will dominate you versus you being the pack leader. Based on the training you say the dog has, and the fact that he might put it down, I'd at least take it on and give it a try.

5. If the dog has been around just one person and is not use to seeing other people or animals often DO NOT GET THE DOG! My uncle has bred pitbulls for 15+ years and we've had a few that turned out crazy due to minor isolation.

6. if you don't want him, PM ill make the drive to pick him up, I got a 16month old,female bluenose pit. they would get along great :)

7. I think the answer to your question is quite obvious.

8. no this dog is around alot of other people he always has friends over and they bring their dogs, and to whoever was talking about the strong personality and being the pack leader i totally agree with you as ive said we have i think 5 dogs here two being german shepherds they both try and kill every other dog so i have become very good at controlling them and making them listen to me