Amending Roots Organic Original

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by TheCatDaddy, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Hey guys, I wanted to make my own soil but my Sphagnum peat moss is miracle gro and didnt realize it had fertilizer in it to begin with. Ill list what Items I have.

1.5 Cu. Ft Roots Organic Original
    .75 Cu Ft Ocean Forest
    Coco coir
    Miracle gro Sphagnum peat moss**?
    Miracle gro perlite**?

Purple cow compost
    EWC

Alfalfa meal
    Kelp meal
    Fish bone meal
    Crab Shell Meal
    Oyster shell flour
    Glacial rock dust
    Peruvian seabird guano

I want to do water only with teas and possible foliar feed. I have a pump and air stone, just need to build a brewer this weekend. Im going to buy "organic" perlite this weekend

2. #2 Kesey, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  3. Thanks for the link, I just found out about the fertilizer in it so didnt grab anything new yet. What do you think I should do, amend a soil or make my own? And if I was to make my own, what ratios do you suggest?

4. My first question would be why? The Roots Organics Original is just about the best soil out there that you can get and it already has absolutely everything in it that your plants will need. You go mixing up other stuff in with it and you'll have a mix so hot it won't grow anything...just burn it up. Think about what you're doing here.

5. 1:1:1 Peat to compost to aeration for indoors, 1:2:1 for outdoors and higher moisture retenention..

6. #6 SkyHighWormGuy, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2015
  7. "it already has absolutely everything in it that your plants will need"

Roots Organics Original is a ready to use mix created with a balanced air to water ratio of porosity and water retention to allow for frequent feeding of fast growing, heavy feeding plants. For exceptional results, feed with high quality nutrients, such as the Roots Organics fertilizer line

A soil like this is purposefully designed to run out of steam quickly so that the gardener needs to supplement nutrition with bottled nutrients - "such as the Roots Organics fertilizer line".

J

8. That was a nice litte blog there, thank you.

9. I also found a few orange bugs on the top soil, I put a layer of Diameticous Earth on it (roots organic original soil) what can I do to kill it all? I have a deep freeze if that could help.

10. #10 SkyHighWormGuy, Nov 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2015
    so you want to kill it all, huh? Without the life (the soil food web or SFW) , your soil is just dirt.
    Understand that you rely on life forms when you grow any plant organically.
    I think what you may be seeing is a beneficial mite, a predator working https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoaspis_miles on the top of your soil. Sometimes people buy them as a part of an integrated organic pest management program.
    http://www.evergreengrowers.com/stratiolaelaps-sci...
    Better chuck them in the freezer. [​IMG]

11. Dude, get off of the store bought bagged soil and construct your own organic soil based on quality compost and vermicompost - for best results. We have a Sticky called "Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners" which will guide you through the process if you're interested.

J

12. just use peat moss compost and areation as your base soil..then add your amendments..like jerry said there is a good thread that will help you with amount of amendments to add, etc..

your roots organic would be good for the seedlings as a starter soil..

roots will feed your plant to flower..but the yields arent very good..

13. Im not using the roots organic, I was just talking about the bugs as Im let my girlfriend use it. Thanks.