AMD or Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Taniwha, Sep 19, 2012.

1. AMD Radeon HD7950 3gb

or

EVGA GTX 660ti 2gb?

2. id go with 7950 just because its 3 GB, but i would rather get the 3GB 660ti.

Galaxy makes one ;)

3. Id go with nvidia, i have a bias haha

4. If you do decide to go amd forget abou XFX.
    Get Sapphire, Gigabyte or Asus

5. Yeah, I'm getting SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB; mostly because there is only ONE company that sells the 7000 range in New Zealand.

6. The AMD would be slightly faster (beacuse it has a better chipset, NOT more memory) but AMD cards stock cooling are generally noisier than Nvidia ones.

7. Every AMD I have owned has either overheated (without overclocking) or just is too noisy.

8. Whats wrong with XFX Amd Cards? My HD6870 runs really good. I dont see why people get 2GB or 3GB video cards. Unless you're doing a lot (I mean a shit load) of intensive video editing I dont see the point.

9. [quote name='"geetardude"']Whats wrong with XFX Amd Cards? My HD6870 runs really good. I dont see why people get 2GB or 3GB video cards. Unless you're doing a lot (I mean a shit load) of intensive video editing I dont see the point.[/quote]

For people who run 3 plus monitors at the highest resolution. If you game with eyefinity or nvidia surround they eat up a lot of vram

10. Nvidia fucks AMD's shit up.

still runnin my 295x that I bought in June 09

11. I'm an Nvidia man myself

12. After playing stalker cop with misery mod, my cards usage is up to about 1900 to 2000 mb, and that game is two years old. 2gb+ cards definitely have a point.

13. After a company sold me a case which doesn't fit a graphics card they sold me (AMD 7950), I exchanged it for the EVGA 660ti 3gb Super Clocked version and also got a $80 voucher.

Getting a constant 80 fps on GW2, maxed out.

14. I'd go with AMD, I have a bias.

15. #15 9D3, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
    I find you generally get more bang for your buck with AMD (just based on the specs for the price). If you have a laptop, I'd probably avoid AMD simply because they take absolutely forever to release updates (at least with my HP w/ Radeon 6770m*). But I think they have better support for desktop cards, so it would be AMD for me.

*edit: That's probably HP's fault though, since I have to use manufacturer-released drivers because it has switchable graphics :rolleyes: I'd prefer it without, but at the time there was no laptop without them. I guess switching to the integrated graphics is nice for when you're using the battery, but that's about it. They even released a bios update that supposedly gave you an option to completely disable switchable graphics (so the OS would only detect one graphics card instead of both), but the option isn't there.

16. This. GTA IV alone runs over 1GB on max setting and this game is old.

17. Ok you guys made your point. :)

I've been misinformed apparently about the 1GB being max used for any game ever.

18. The memory required for the graphics card multiplies as you increase the screen resolution of the game. Anti-Aliasing at high settings can also use up some memory, but at 1920x1080+ it's not usually needed above 2x.

For resolutions 1920x1080, over 1GB memory would only make afew fps difference.

19. Haha sorry if that came off a little douchey, its hard to convey tone over the internet.

To the guy above, i run 1920x1080.

20. I believe GTA IV is a bad port. Some people with monster systems have extremely poor performance playing GTA IV.